Help please- PC won't connect to wireless router-"Acquiring IP Add - Wireless

This is a discussion on Help please- PC won't connect to wireless router-"Acquiring IP Add - Wireless ; Please someone help me!! I have a wireless network problem. I have 2 laptops, one laptop is running Windows XP and the other laptop is running Windows Vista, connected to a Linksys wireless router. I also have a desktop pc ...

  1. Help please- PC won't connect to wireless router-"Acquiring IP Add

    Please someone help me!! I have a wireless network problem. I have 2
    laptops, one laptop is running Windows XP and the other laptop is running
    Windows Vista, connected to a Linksys wireless router. I also have a desktop
    pc that was connected to the wireless network through the router, but this pc
    won't connect anymore. The desktop is running Windows XP professional
    service pack 2 and is using a linksys wireless network card. The desktop pc
    detects the wireless network and shows the SSID, but when it tries to connect
    it stays in "Acquiring IP Address" for a couple of minutes and then goes to
    "Limited or No Connectivity" to the network. The wireless router is using
    WPA shared key security and mac filtering. I have verified that the desktop
    PC network card mac address is in the router permitted mac list. I have
    verifed and reentered the wpa key numerous times and have had no success
    connecting to the router from the desktop. The WPA key is good as it is
    working on the 2 laptops and they are on the network. The router is set to
    assign 10 dhcp addresses and the only two dhcp addresses assigned in the
    router dhcp list are the two laptops. The desktop pc is set to receive an IP
    address through dhcp. Ipconfig shows that the desktop has no IP address. I
    have uninstalled and reinstalled the network card with no success. I brought
    the wireless network card to a friends house and put it in her pc and it
    connected to her wireless router and we could surf the web, so I don't think
    the wireless network card is bad. My desktop pc is using Windows to access
    the wireless network and not the Linksys software. My wireless router is the
    Linksys WRT54G and my Linksys wireless network card is the the WMP54G. I
    have deleted and rebuilt the wireless network on the desktop pc, disabled and
    reenabled the wireless network card and have had no luck. If anyone has any
    suggestions on how to get this pc to connect to the wireless network I would
    be super happy to hear them.

    Thanks!!
    Natasha

  2. Re: Help please- PC won't connect to wireless router-"Acquiring IP Add

    It seems to me the wireless doesn't receive the IP from the router. Can you
    access the router if using a static IP address?

    --
    Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE
    http://www.ChicagoTech.net

    "Natasha" wrote in message
    > Please someone help me!! I have a wireless network problem. I have 2
    > laptops, one laptop is running Windows XP and the other laptop is running
    > Windows Vista, connected to a Linksys wireless router. I also have a
    > desktop
    > pc that was connected to the wireless network through the router, but this
    > pc
    > won't connect anymore. The desktop is running Windows XP professional
    > service pack 2 and is using a linksys wireless network card. The desktop
    > pc
    > detects the wireless network and shows the SSID, but when it tries to
    > connect
    > it stays in "Acquiring IP Address" for a couple of minutes and then goes
    > "Limited or No Connectivity" to the network. The wireless router is using
    > WPA shared key security and mac filtering. I have verified that the
    > desktop
    > PC network card mac address is in the router permitted mac list. I have
    > verifed and reentered the wpa key numerous times and have had no success
    > connecting to the router from the desktop. The WPA key is good as it is
    > working on the 2 laptops and they are on the network. The router is set
    > assign 10 dhcp addresses and the only two dhcp addresses assigned in the
    > router dhcp list are the two laptops. The desktop pc is set to receive an
    > IP
    > address through dhcp. Ipconfig shows that the desktop has no IP address.
    > have uninstalled and reinstalled the network card with no success. I
    > brought
    > the wireless network card to a friends house and put it in her pc and it
    > connected to her wireless router and we could surf the web, so I don't
    > think
    > the wireless network card is bad. My desktop pc is using Windows to
    > access
    > the wireless network and not the Linksys software. My wireless router is
    > the
    > Linksys WRT54G and my Linksys wireless network card is the the WMP54G. I
    > have deleted and rebuilt the wireless network on the desktop pc, disabled
    > and
    > reenabled the wireless network card and have had no luck. If anyone has
    > any
    > suggestions on how to get this pc to connect to the wireless network I
    > would
    > be super happy to hear them.
    >
    > Thanks!!
    > Natasha

  3. Re: Help please- PC won't connect to wireless router-"Acquiring IP Add

    Hi
    This page would guide you toward assessing the Health of the Network setting
    on a troubled computer.
    The fact that some computers are working well with the Router's WPA does not
    mean the the WPA and MAC is set OK for the other computers.
    I would try first to disable the MAC and Encryption security in the Router
    and all computers, and make sure that all computers are working correctly
    with the Wireless and obtaining IP. When all are working well reinstate the
    security measures.
    Jack (MVP-Networking).
    ..
    "Natasha" wrote in message
    > Please someone help me!! I have a wireless network problem. I have 2
    > laptops, one laptop is running Windows XP and the other laptop is running
    > Windows Vista, connected to a Linksys wireless router. I also have a
    > desktop
    > pc that was connected to the wireless network through the router, but this
    > pc
    > won't connect anymore. The desktop is running Windows XP professional
    > service pack 2 and is using a linksys wireless network card. The desktop
    > pc
    > detects the wireless network and shows the SSID, but when it tries to
    > connect
    > it stays in "Acquiring IP Address" for a couple of minutes and then goes
    > "Limited or No Connectivity" to the network. The wireless router is using
    > WPA shared key security and mac filtering. I have verified that the
    > desktop
    > PC network card mac address is in the router permitted mac list. I have
    > verifed and reentered the wpa key numerous times and have had no success
    > connecting to the router from the desktop. The WPA key is good as it is
    > working on the 2 laptops and they are on the network. The router is set
    > assign 10 dhcp addresses and the only two dhcp addresses assigned in the
    > router dhcp list are the two laptops. The desktop pc is set to receive an
    > IP
    > address through dhcp. Ipconfig shows that the desktop has no IP address.
    > have uninstalled and reinstalled the network card with no success. I
    > brought
    > the wireless network card to a friends house and put it in her pc and it
    > connected to her wireless router and we could surf the web, so I don't
    > think
    > the wireless network card is bad. My desktop pc is using Windows to
    > access
    > the wireless network and not the Linksys software. My wireless router is
    > the
    > Linksys WRT54G and my Linksys wireless network card is the the WMP54G. I
    > have deleted and rebuilt the wireless network on the desktop pc, disabled
    > and
    > reenabled the wireless network card and have had no luck. If anyone has
    > any
    > suggestions on how to get this pc to connect to the wireless network I
    > would
    > be super happy to hear them.
    >
    > Thanks!!
    > Natasha

  4. Re: Help please- PC won't connect to wireless router-"Acquiring IP

    Thank you guys for responding

    Let me give you an update. I am still having problems connecting my windows
    xp professional service pack 2 desktop pc to the linksys wireless router. I
    wasn't able to connect to the router when I gave the desktop pc a static ip
    address and wpa security and mac filtering were enabled. Windows showed that
    I was connected to the wireless network, but I couldn't ping the router, get
    online or see any other computers on the network. I then followed the steps
    for rebuilding the wireless network. I want to use Windows XP to control my
    wireless connection on the linksys wireless adapter and I also want to use
    WPA shared key security. Well, check this out. I am unable to connect to
    the wireless router even when there is no mac filtering or security when I
    use windows to control the wireless connection. I get a message saying
    "acquiring a network addresss" for a few minutes and then it says limited or
    no connectivity. If I use the linksys software I can connect to the wireless
    router using no security, or with using mac filtering and WEP security.
    However I can't seem to use the linksys software to connect to the wireless
    router using WPA shared key security. That is why I would like to use windows
    to control the wireless connection. So, I have one Vista laptop and one
    windows XP media center laptop connecting to the wireless router that has WPA
    shared key security and mac filtering enabled, but I still can't connect the
    desktop PC running windows XP service pack 2 to the router using windows to
    control the wireless connection. If anyone has any ideas about what might be
    causing this I would be super happy to hear them

    Thanks again
    Natasha

    "Jack (MVP-Networking)." wrote:

> [...]
    > > have uninstalled and reinstalled the network card with no success. I
    > > brought
    > > the wireless network card to a friends house and put it in her pc and it
    > > connected to her wireless router and we could surf the web, so I don't
    > > think
    > > the wireless network card is bad. My desktop pc is using Windows to
    > > access
    > > the wireless network and not the Linksys software. My wireless router is
    > > the
    > > Linksys WRT54G and my Linksys wireless network card is the the WMP54G. I
    > > have deleted and rebuilt the wireless network on the desktop pc, disabled
    > > and
    > > reenabled the wireless network card and have had no luck. If anyone has
    > > any
    > > suggestions on how to get this pc to connect to the wireless network I

  5. Re: Help please- PC won't connect to wireless router-"Acquiring IP

    Hi
    The Windows Wireless utility (WZC) depends on the Card's drivers. Thus, if
    the original Linksys' Wireless Utility can not do WPA, WZC would not do it
    either.
    I would suggest that you try Linksys Support too,
    http://www.linksys.com/servlet/Satel...ypage=download
    Jack (MVP-Networking).

+ Reply to Thread