forgot network security key - Wireless

This is a discussion on forgot network security key - Wireless ; I have a wireless network set-up at my home since I work remote for my company. Sadly my work laptop died and I now have a new one but I cant get it to connect to my home wireless because ...

  1. forgot network security key

    I have a wireless network set-up at my home since I work remote for my
    company. Sadly my work laptop died and I now have a new one but I cant get it
    to connect to my home wireless because I have forgotten the network security
    key password. Is there anything I can do or where can I look on my desktop
    computer (where the wireless network was set-up) to retrieve the forgotten
    password to get the laptop onto the wireless network.

  2. Re: forgot network security key

    "boundwings" wrote in message
    >I have a wireless network set-up at my home since I work remote for my
    > company. Sadly my work laptop died and I now have a new one but I cant get
    > it
    > to connect to my home wireless because I have forgotten the network
    > security
    > key password. Is there anything I can do or where can I look on my desktop
    > computer (where the wireless network was set-up) to retrieve the forgotten
    > password to get the laptop onto the wireless network.

    Some routers allow you to display the wireless encryption key in plain text.
    Look at the router admin pages and see if that is the case.

    If you can't then I suggest creating a new key and saving it off to a USB
    flash drive. For help doing that using Windows Connect Now (WCN) in either
    Vista or XP see these pages...

    http://blogs.msdn.com/wndp/archive/2...F00_part1.aspx

    If your wireless access point/router or clients do not support WCN you can
    easily copy-n-paste the network key by opening the flash drive and
    navigating to the "\Smrtntky\Wsetting.txt" file and copying the key to the
    wireless access point/router or client.

    --

    Al Jarvi (MS-MVP Windows Networking)

    mutual benefit of all of us...
    rights...

  3. Re: forgot network security key

    Thank you for your help. I got the wirless network onto my work laptop, but
    when I connect it says limits or no connectivity even though it shows all 5
    bars and when i click on it it says the network did not assign a network
    address to the computer. So now I guess I need to know how to assign a
    network address and then I should be good

    "Sooner Al [MVP]" wrote:

    > "boundwings" wrote in message
    > >I have a wireless network set-up at my home since I work remote for my
    > > company. Sadly my work laptop died and I now have a new one but I cant get
    > > it
    > > to connect to my home wireless because I have forgotten the network
    > > security
    > > key password. Is there anything I can do or where can I look on my desktop
    > > computer (where the wireless network was set-up) to retrieve the forgotten
    > > password to get the laptop onto the wireless network.

    > Some routers allow you to display the wireless encryption key in plain text.
    > Look at the router admin pages and see if that is the case.
    >
    > If you can't then I suggest creating a new key and saving it off to a USB
    > flash drive. For help doing that using Windows Connect Now (WCN) in either
    > Vista or XP see these pages...
    >
    > http://blogs.msdn.com/wndp/archive/2...F00_part1.aspx
    > http://www.microsoft.com/technet/com...uy/cg0406.mspx
    >
    > http://www.microsoft.com/technet/com...uy/cg0604.mspx
    >
    > If your wireless access point/router or clients do not support WCN you can
    > easily copy-n-paste the network key by opening the flash drive and
    > navigating to the "\Smrtntky\Wsetting.txt" file and copying the key to the
    > wireless access point/router or client.
    >
    > --
    >
    > Al Jarvi (MS-MVP Windows Networking)

    > mutual benefit of all of us...
    > rights...

  4. Re: forgot network security key

    Hi
    Disable the security on both the Router and the computer, make sure that it
    is working OK and then issue a New security setting.
    Jack (MVP-Networking).

    "boundwings" wrote in message
    >I have a wireless network set-up at my home since I work remote for my
    > company. Sadly my work laptop died and I now have a new one but I cant get
    > it
    > to connect to my home wireless because I have forgotten the network
    > security
    > key password. Is there anything I can do or where can I look on my desktop
    > computer (where the wireless network was set-up) to retrieve the forgotten
    > password to get the laptop onto the wireless network.

  5. Re: forgot network security key

    Did you actually find your previous password using the router's
    configuration utility as suggested by Sooner Al? It sounds like you
    didn't. The symptoms you describe typically result from a misconfigured
    security setting.

    --
    Lem -- MS-MVP - Networking