windows 98 and wireless lan adapter - Wireless

This is a discussion on windows 98 and wireless lan adapter - Wireless ; I am running a laptop on win 98. I recently purchased a micronet wireless lan usb adapter. I installed the software and this seems to be running ok, it shows 60% strength and has accepte my network password etc. However ...

  1. windows 98 and wireless lan adapter

    I am running a laptop on win 98. I recently purchased a micronet wireless lan
    usb adapter. I installed the software and this seems to be running ok, it
    shows 60% strength and has accepte my network password etc. However when i
    try o connect to the internet with internet explorer it always fails. I have
    noticed that sometimes the status flicks between not associated and checking
    evey few seconds but always comes back with a good signal. I also tried to
    connect to the router to check the settings but it wo't even do this.

    I would be so happy if someone could explin what I should do
    --
    kind regards

    adhide

  2. Re: windows 98 and wireless lan adapter

    Hi
    If you cannot connect to the Router, it means that your interface shows the
    presence of the signal but you do not have a real Network connection between
    the computer and the Router.
    Unfortunately, Win98 poses a logistic problem. Since Win98 does not have
    Wireless management capabilities you must use the utility that comes with
    the Wireless cards and these utilities are propriety designed by the Card’s
    manufacturer so it is impossible to give a focused answer.
    These pages are geared toward Win XP interface but you might be able to
    extrapolate the principle and may be would find what is wrong.
    Jack (MVP-Networking).

    "addy" wrote in message
    >I am running a laptop on win 98. I recently purchased a micronet wireless
    >lan
    > usb adapter. I installed the software and this seems to be running ok, it
    > shows 60% strength and has accepte my network password etc. However when
    > try o connect to the internet with internet explorer it always fails. I
    > have
    > noticed that sometimes the status flicks between not associated and
    > checking
    > evey few seconds but always comes back with a good signal. I also tried
    > connect to the router to check the settings but it wo't even do this.
    >
    > I would be so happy if someone could explin what I should do
    > --
    > kind regards
    >
    > adhide

+ Reply to Thread