LAN Card Keeps Taking Over - Help a cute Girl! - Wireless

This is a discussion on LAN Card Keeps Taking Over - Help a cute Girl! - Wireless ; Hey! My desktop is set up with a wireless Linksys adapter. Everything works fine. The Local Area Network connection icon for a wired connection is always trying to request an IP address based. There is no lan cable plugged into ...

  1. LAN Card Keeps Taking Over - Help a cute Girl!

    Hey! My desktop is set up with a wireless Linksys adapter. Everything works
    fine. The Local Area Network connection icon for a wired connection is
    always trying to request an IP address based. There is no lan cable plugged
    into it. I went into device manager to disable the Intel (R) PRO/100 VE
    Network adapter. When I reboot, it's enabled again. I tried to uninstall
    the driver. When I reboot, the driver is magically reinstalled. Do I have
    to get someone to open the pc, and pull the card out, or is there another way
    to stop this?

    Thanks!

    Tammie

  2. Re: LAN Card Keeps Taking Over - Help a cute Girl!

    On Sat, 10 Nov 2007 09:27:01 -0800, GW wrote:

    >Hey! My desktop is set up with a wireless Linksys adapter. Everything works
    >fine. The Local Area Network connection icon for a wired connection is
    >always trying to request an IP address based. There is no lan cable plugged
    >into it. I went into device manager to disable the Intel (R) PRO/100 VE
    >Network adapter. When I reboot, it's enabled again. I tried to uninstall
    >the driver. When I reboot, the driver is magically reinstalled. Do I have
    >to get someone to open the pc, and pull the card out, or is there another way
    >to stop this?
    >
    >Thanks!
    >
    >Tammie

    Tammie,

    Why do you want the Ethernet connection disabled? Windows is designed to
    support 2 or more active LAN connections.

    http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/2006/0...y-to-roam.html

    --
    Cheers,
    http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/

  3. Re: LAN Card Keeps Taking Over - Help a cute Girl!

    GW wrote:
    > Hey! My desktop is set up with a wireless Linksys adapter.
    > Everything works fine. The Local Area Network connection icon for a
    > wired connection is always trying to request an IP address based.
    > There is no lan cable plugged into it. I went into device manager to
    > disable the Intel (R) PRO/100 VE Network adapter. When I reboot,
    > it's enabled again. I tried to uninstall the driver. When I reboot,
    > the driver is magically reinstalled. Do I have to get someone to
    > open the pc, and pull the card out, or is there another way to stop
    > this?
    >
    > Thanks!
    >
    > Tammie

    Trying to ignore for the moment that your subject line sets the
    gender-equality movement back a number of years.....

    a) your disconnected Ethernet card shouldn't be trying to get an IP
    address - what are the exact symptoms, please?

    b) what is the exact OS you're using?

    c) why would you want to uninstall a perfectly useful Ethernet adapter?
    Presuming you're on WinXP, it should actually let you use both at once,and
    pick the faster connection.

  4. Re: LAN Card Keeps Taking Over - Help a cute Girl!

    Thanks! I am networked wirelessly and will not be runing cable to this
    desktop. XP Home SP2. Symptoms: in the package tray, the little icon
    showing two little computer screens for the local area connection, when I
    placed my mouse poiner over, said trying to aquire IP address.

    I just don't need the overhead.

    Thanks!

    "Lanwench [MVP - Exchange]" wrote:

    > GW wrote:
    > > Hey! My desktop is set up with a wireless Linksys adapter.
    > > Everything works fine. The Local Area Network connection icon for a
    > > wired connection is always trying to request an IP address based.
    > > There is no lan cable plugged into it. I went into device manager to
    > > disable the Intel (R) PRO/100 VE Network adapter. When I reboot,
    > > it's enabled again. I tried to uninstall the driver. When I reboot,
    > > the driver is magically reinstalled. Do I have to get someone to
    > > open the pc, and pull the card out, or is there another way to stop
    > > this?
    > >
    > > Thanks!
    > >
    > > Tammie

    > Trying to ignore for the moment that your subject line sets the
    > gender-equality movement back a number of years.....
    >
    > a) your disconnected Ethernet card shouldn't be trying to get an IP
    > address - what are the exact symptoms, please?
    >
    > b) what is the exact OS you're using?
    >
    > c) why would you want to uninstall a perfectly useful Ethernet adapter?
    > Presuming you're on WinXP, it should actually let you use both at once,and
    > pick the faster connection.

  5. Re: LAN Card Keeps Taking Over - Help a cute Girl!

    GW wrote:
    > Thanks! I am networked wirelessly and will not be runing cable to
    > this desktop. XP Home SP2. Symptoms: in the package tray, the
    > little icon showing two little computer screens for the local area
    > connection, when I placed my mouse poiner over, said trying to aquire
    > IP address.
    >
    > I just don't need the overhead.

    Go to control panel | network connections, change to Details view, and look
    at the status. If nothing's plugged in, it should say "Network cable
    disconnected." And hence, it shouldn't be trying to get an IP address.
    Honest.

    However, since I'm quite sure you're not making this up to get attention -

    a) You can right-click on Local Area Connection & pick Disable, or disable
    the device in Device Manager.

    b) Note that if you're using a computer preinstalled with a lot of crap
    (such as Dell Dimensions & other home PC models tend to have on them) you
    probably have some additional network management software on this computer
    that's doing this - I always uninstall that stuff & use the built-in Windows
    networking tools to manage wired/wireless networking.

    HTH.

    > Thanks!
    >
    > "Lanwench [MVP - Exchange]" wrote:
    >
    >> GW wrote:
    >>> Hey! My desktop is set up with a wireless Linksys adapter.
    >>> Everything works fine. The Local Area Network connection icon for a
    >>> wired connection is always trying to request an IP address based.
    >>> There is no lan cable plugged into it. I went into device manager
    >>> to disable the Intel (R) PRO/100 VE Network adapter. When I reboot,
    >>> it's enabled again. I tried to uninstall the driver. When I
    >>> reboot, the driver is magically reinstalled. Do I have to get
    >>> someone to open the pc, and pull the card out, or is there another
    >>> way to stop this?
    >>>
    >>> Thanks!
    >>>
    >>> Tammie

    >> Trying to ignore for the moment that your subject line sets the
    >> gender-equality movement back a number of years.....
    >>
    >> a) your disconnected Ethernet card shouldn't be trying to get an IP
    >> address - what are the exact symptoms, please?
    >>
    >> b) what is the exact OS you're using?
    >>
    >> c) why would you want to uninstall a perfectly useful Ethernet
    >> adapter? Presuming you're on WinXP, it should actually let you use
    >> both at once,and pick the faster connection.

  6. Re: LAN Card Keeps Taking Over - Help a cute Girl!

    Hi
    You have to leave the NIC installed correctly and disable it by right
    clicking in the device manger and choose disable.
    If you take away the drivers then in the next boot the system finds New
    Hardware and since the drivers to your card are available through Windows it
    installs them automatically.
    Otherwise, if it bothers you so much, take out the card, or disable it in
    the BIOS if it is an On board card.
    Jack (MVP-Networking).

    "GW" wrote in message
    > Hey! My desktop is set up with a wireless Linksys adapter. Everything
    > works
    > fine. The Local Area Network connection icon for a wired connection is
    > always trying to request an IP address based. There is no lan cable
    > plugged
    > into it. I went into device manager to disable the Intel (R) PRO/100 VE
    > Network adapter. When I reboot, it's enabled again. I tried to uninstall
    > the driver. When I reboot, the driver is magically reinstalled. Do I
    > have
    > to get someone to open the pc, and pull the card out, or is there another
    > way
    > to stop this?
    >
    > Thanks!
    >
    > Tammie