Network Places' Workgroup Computers shows only router host - Wireless

This is a discussion on Network Places' Workgroup Computers shows only router host - Wireless ; Until recently by opening 'Network Places - Show Workgroup Computers' I could see and access my desktop PC and the attached wireless router and the Laptop computer upstairs on the network. something has changed after a Windows Update and now ...

  1. Network Places' Workgroup Computers shows only router host

    Until recently by opening 'Network Places - Show Workgroup Computers' I could see and access my desktop PC and the attached wireless router and the Laptop computer upstairs on the network. something has changed after a Windows Update and now I only see my Desktop.
    I can still ping the laptop, find and open it with Netscan.exe and access it with VNC viewer.

    So it is not a bad problem, but I would like to put find out the reason and if possible put it right in case there is some other change that is more serious. Simple sharing is enabled on both computers.

    Router Netgear WNR834B

    System
    ACPI Multiprocessor PC
    Operating System Microsoft Windows XP Professional
    OS Service Pack 2
    I Explorer 7.0.5730.11 (IE 7.0)
    DirectX 4.09.00.0904 (DirectX 9.0c)

    Motherboard
    CPU Type DualCore AMD Athlon 64 FX-62, 2800 MHz (14 x 200)
    Motherboard Name Asus Crosshair (3 PCI, 1 PCI-E x1, 1 PCI-E x4, 2 PCI-E x16, 4 DDR2 DIMM, Audio, Dual Gigabit LAN, IEEE-1394)
    Motherboard Chipset nVIDIA nForce 590 SLI, AMD Hammer
    System Memory 3328 MB (DDR2-800 DDR2 SDRAM)
    BIOS Type Award (12/11/06)

    I would welcome any suggestions
    Uncle John

  2. Re: Network Places' Workgroup Computers shows only router host

    Hi
    Win XP SP2 install an upgraded Firewall, it might be that you need to configure the exceptions.
    Successful Sharing involves some general consideration in Network settings, http://www.ezlan.net/sharing.html
    As well as specific adjustment of each computer according to what it is allowed to be shared.
    Basic XP - http://www.microsoft.com/technet/pro...lesharing.mspx
    Printer Sharing XP - http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/u...utt_july2.mspx
    Windows Native Firewall setting for Sharing XP - http://support.microsoft.com/kb/875357
    Jack (MVP-Networking).
    "John Butler" wrote in message news:%23GHICI5IIHA.5116@TK2MSFTNGP03.phx.gbl...
[...]

  3. Re: Network Places' Workgroup Computers shows only router host

    On Sat, 10 Nov 2007 12:05:36 -0000, "John Butler" wrote:

    >Until recently by opening 'Network Places - Show Workgroup Computers' I could see and access my desktop PC and the attached wireless router and the Laptop computer upstairs on the network. something has changed after a Windows Update and now I only see my Desktop.
    >I can still ping the laptop, find and open it with Netscan.exe and access it with VNC viewer.
    >
    >So it is not a bad problem, but I would like to put find out the reason and if possible put it right in case there is some other change that is more serious. Simple sharing is enabled on both computers.
    >
    >Router Netgear WNR834B
    >
    >System
    > ACPI Multiprocessor PC
    > Operating System Microsoft Windows XP Professional
    > OS Service Pack 2
    > I Explorer 7.0.5730.11 (IE 7.0)
    > DirectX 4.09.00.0904 (DirectX 9.0c)
    >

    > Motherboard
    > CPU Type DualCore AMD Athlon 64 FX-62, 2800 MHz (14 x 200)
    > Motherboard Name Asus Crosshair (3 PCI, 1 PCI-E x1, 1 PCI-E x4, 2 PCI-E x16, 4 DDR2 DIMM, Audio, Dual Gigabit LAN, IEEE-1394)
    > Motherboard Chipset nVIDIA nForce 590 SLI, AMD Hammer
    > System Memory 3328 MB (DDR2-800 DDR2 SDRAM)
    > BIOS Type Award (12/11/06)
    >
    >I would welcome any suggestions
    > Uncle John

    John,

    A visibility problem like yours is frequently caused by a NetBT setting, or a
    personal firewall, problem.

    http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/2006/0...ing-using.html

    To diagnose the problem, look at logs from "browstat status", "ipconfig /all",
    "net config server", and "net config workstation", from each computer. Read
    this article, and linked articles, and follow instructions precisely (download
    browstat!):

    Cheers,
    http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/
    My email is AT DOT
    actual address pchuck mvps org.

  4. Re: Network Places' Workgroup Computers shows only router host

    Chuck

    I have not been able to solve the problem despite of your valuable help. I
    can access the laptop in a variety of ways but not get it to show up in
    Workgroup computers. Maybe it is a glitch in Jaspers AV which is running on
    both computers. I do not have software firewall but the router is a hardware
    firewall.
    As I do not NEED the laptop to show up in Workgroup computers I will leave
    things be

    Thanks for your help and Jack too.

    Old Uncle John

    "Chuck [MVP]" wrote in message
    > On Sat, 10 Nov 2007 12:05:36 -0000, "John Butler"
    > wrote:
    >
    >>Until recently by opening 'Network Places - Show Workgroup Computers' I
    >>could see and access my desktop PC and the attached wireless router and
    >>the Laptop computer upstairs on the network. something has changed after a
    >>Windows Update and now I only see my Desktop.
    >>I can still ping the laptop, find and open it with Netscan.exe and access
    >>it with VNC viewer.
    >>
    >>So it is not a bad problem, but I would like to put find out the reason
    >>and if possible put it right in case there is some other change that is
    >>more serious. Simple sharing is enabled on both computers.
    >>
    >>Router Netgear WNR834B
    >>
    >>System
    >> ACPI Multiprocessor PC
    >> Operating System Microsoft Windows XP Professional
    >> OS Service Pack 2
    >> I Explorer 7.0.5730.11 (IE 7.0)
    >> DirectX 4.09.00.0904 (DirectX 9.0c)
    >>

    >> Motherboard
    >> CPU Type DualCore AMD Athlon 64 FX-62, 2800 MHz (14 x 200)
    >> Motherboard Name Asus Crosshair (3 PCI, 1 PCI-E x1, 1 PCI-E x4,
    >> 2 PCI-E x16, 4 DDR2 DIMM, Audio, Dual Gigabit LAN, IEEE-1394)
    >> Motherboard Chipset nVIDIA nForce 590 SLI, AMD Hammer
    >> System Memory 3328 MB (DDR2-800 DDR2 SDRAM)
    >> BIOS Type Award (12/11/06)
    >>
    >>I would welcome any suggestions
    >> Uncle John

    > John,
    >
    > A visibility problem like yours is frequently caused by a NetBT setting,
    > or a
    > personal firewall, problem.
    >
    > http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/2006/0...ing-using.html
    >
    > To diagnose the problem, look at logs from "browstat status", "ipconfig
    > /all",
    > "net config server", and "net config workstation", from each computer.
    > Read
    > this article, and linked articles, and follow instructions precisely
    > (download
    > browstat!):
    >
    > http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/2005/0...#AskingForHelp
    >
    > --
    > Cheers,
    > http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/
    > My email is AT DOT
    > actual address pchuck mvps org.

  5. Re: Network Places' Workgroup Computers shows only router host

    Sorry for the spelling, I should have said Kaspersky Antivirus (version 7.0)

    --
    Old Uncle John

    "Chuck [MVP]" wrote in message
    > On Sat, 10 Nov 2007 12:05:36 -0000, "John Butler"
    > wrote:
    >
    >>Until recently by opening 'Network Places - Show Workgroup Computers' I
    >>could see and access my desktop PC and the attached wireless router and
    >>the Laptop computer upstairs on the network. something has changed after a
    >>Windows Update and now I only see my Desktop.
    >>I can still ping the laptop, find and open it with Netscan.exe and access
    >>it with VNC viewer.
    >>
    >>So it is not a bad problem, but I would like to put find out the reason
    >>and if possible put it right in case there is some other change that is
    >>more serious. Simple sharing is enabled on both computers.
    >>
    >>Router Netgear WNR834B
    >>
    >>System
    >> ACPI Multiprocessor PC
    >> Operating System Microsoft Windows XP Professional
    >> OS Service Pack 2
    >> I Explorer 7.0.5730.11 (IE 7.0)
    >> DirectX 4.09.00.0904 (DirectX 9.0c)
    >>

    >> Motherboard
    >> CPU Type DualCore AMD Athlon 64 FX-62, 2800 MHz (14 x 200)
    >> Motherboard Name Asus Crosshair (3 PCI, 1 PCI-E x1, 1 PCI-E x4,
    >> 2 PCI-E x16, 4 DDR2 DIMM, Audio, Dual Gigabit LAN, IEEE-1394)
    >> Motherboard Chipset nVIDIA nForce 590 SLI, AMD Hammer
    >> System Memory 3328 MB (DDR2-800 DDR2 SDRAM)
    >> BIOS Type Award (12/11/06)
    >>
    >>I would welcome any suggestions
    >> Uncle John

    > John,
    >
    > A visibility problem like yours is frequently caused by a NetBT setting,
    > or a
    > personal firewall, problem.
    >
    > http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/2006/0...ing-using.html
    >
    > To diagnose the problem, look at logs from "browstat status", "ipconfig
    > /all",
    > "net config server", and "net config workstation", from each computer.
    > Read
    > this article, and linked articles, and follow instructions precisely
    > (download
    > browstat!):
    >
    > http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/2005/0...#AskingForHelp
    >
    > --
    > Cheers,
    > http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/
    > My email is AT DOT
    > actual address pchuck mvps org.

  6. Re: Network Places' Workgroup Computers shows only router host

    On Mon, 12 Nov 2007 12:41:38 -0000, "John Butler" wrote:

    >"Chuck [MVP]" wrote in message
    >> On Sat, 10 Nov 2007 12:05:36 -0000, "John Butler"
    >> wrote:
    >>
    >>>Until recently by opening 'Network Places - Show Workgroup Computers' I
    >>>could see and access my desktop PC and the attached wireless router and
    >>>the Laptop computer upstairs on the network. something has changed after a
    >>>Windows Update and now I only see my Desktop.
    >>>I can still ping the laptop, find and open it with Netscan.exe and access
    >>>it with VNC viewer.
    >>>
    >>>So it is not a bad problem, but I would like to put find out the reason
    >>>and if possible put it right in case there is some other change that is
    >>>more serious. Simple sharing is enabled on both computers.
    >>>
    >>>Router Netgear WNR834B
    >>>
    >>>System
    >>> ACPI Multiprocessor PC
    >>> Operating System Microsoft Windows XP Professional
    >>> OS Service Pack 2
    >>> I Explorer 7.0.5730.11 (IE 7.0)
    >>> DirectX 4.09.00.0904 (DirectX 9.0c)
    >>>

    >>> Motherboard
    >>> CPU Type DualCore AMD Athlon 64 FX-62, 2800 MHz (14 x 200)
    >>> Motherboard Name Asus Crosshair (3 PCI, 1 PCI-E x1, 1 PCI-E x4,
    >>> 2 PCI-E x16, 4 DDR2 DIMM, Audio, Dual Gigabit LAN, IEEE-1394)
    >>> Motherboard Chipset nVIDIA nForce 590 SLI, AMD Hammer
    >>> System Memory 3328 MB (DDR2-800 DDR2 SDRAM)
    >>> BIOS Type Award (12/11/06)
    >>>
    >>>I would welcome any suggestions
    >>> Uncle John

    >> John,
    >>
    >> A visibility problem like yours is frequently caused by a NetBT setting,
    >> or a
    >> personal firewall, problem.
    >>
    >> http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/2006/0...ing-using.html
    >>
    >> To diagnose the problem, look at logs from "browstat status", "ipconfig
    >> /all",
    >> "net config server", and "net config workstation", from each computer.
    >> Read
    >> this article, and linked articles, and follow instructions precisely
    >> (download
    >> browstat!):
    >>
    >> http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/2005/0...#AskingForHelp
    >>

    >Chuck
    >
    >I have not been able to solve the problem despite of your valuable help. I
    >can access the laptop in a variety of ways but not get it to show up in
    >Workgroup computers. Maybe it is a glitch in Jaspers AV which is running on
    >both computers. I do not have software firewall but the router is a hardware
    >firewall.
    >As I do not NEED the laptop to show up in Workgroup computers I will leave
    >things be
    >
    >Thanks for your help and Jack too.
    >
    >Old Uncle John

    Thanks for the update, John. Come back here any time, or if you decide to try
    again.

    --
    Cheers,
    http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/
    My email is AT DOT
    actual address pchuck mvps org.

  7. Re: Network Places' Workgroup Computers shows only router host dolution to problem

    Chuck

    With the help of Lisa from Kaspersky International we have solved the
    problem as the result of conflicting configurations in the K A-V version 7
    which is installed on both my main desktop PC and the laptop at the end of
    the wireless link. KAV has a module called Proactive defence which is very
    powerful and is intended to improve internet speed by obviating the need for
    a firewall but is quite complex to configure.
    --
    Old Uncle John
    "Chuck [MVP]" wrote in message
    > On Sat, 10 Nov 2007 12:05:36 -0000, "John Butler"
    > wrote:
    >
    >>Until recently by opening 'Network Places - Show Workgroup Computers' I
    >>could see and access my desktop PC and the attached wireless router and
    >>the Laptop computer upstairs on the network. something has changed after a
    >>Windows Update and now I only see my Desktop.
    >>I can still ping the laptop, find and open it with Netscan.exe and access
    >>it with VNC viewer.
    >>
    >>So it is not a bad problem, but I would like to put find out the reason
    >>and if possible put it right in case there is some other change that is
    >>more serious. Simple sharing is enabled on both computers.
    >>
    >>Router Netgear WNR834B
    >>
    >>System
    >> ACPI Multiprocessor PC
    >> Operating System Microsoft Windows XP Professional
    >> OS Service Pack 2
    >> I Explorer 7.0.5730.11 (IE 7.0)
    >> DirectX 4.09.00.0904 (DirectX 9.0c)
    >>

    >> Motherboard
    >> CPU Type DualCore AMD Athlon 64 FX-62, 2800 MHz (14 x 200)
    >> Motherboard Name Asus Crosshair (3 PCI, 1 PCI-E x1, 1 PCI-E x4,
    >> 2 PCI-E x16, 4 DDR2 DIMM, Audio, Dual Gigabit LAN, IEEE-1394)
    >> Motherboard Chipset nVIDIA nForce 590 SLI, AMD Hammer
    >> System Memory 3328 MB (DDR2-800 DDR2 SDRAM)
    >> BIOS Type Award (12/11/06)
    >>
    >>I would welcome any suggestions
    >> Uncle John

    > John,
    >
    > A visibility problem like yours is frequently caused by a NetBT setting,
    > or a
    > personal firewall, problem.
    >
    > http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/2006/0...ing-using.html
    >
    > To diagnose the problem, look at logs from "browstat status", "ipconfig
    > /all",
    > "net config server", and "net config workstation", from each computer.
    > Read
    > this article, and linked articles, and follow instructions precisely
    > (download
    > browstat!):
    >
    > http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/2005/0...#AskingForHelp
    >
    > --
    > Cheers,
    > http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/
    > My email is AT DOT
    > actual address pchuck mvps org.

  8. Re: Network Places' Workgroup Computers shows only router host dolution to problem

    On Wed, 14 Nov 2007 16:56:16 -0000, "John Butler" wrote:

    >"Chuck [MVP]" wrote in message
    >> On Sat, 10 Nov 2007 12:05:36 -0000, "John Butler"
    >> wrote:
    >>
    >>>Until recently by opening 'Network Places - Show Workgroup Computers' I
    >>>could see and access my desktop PC and the attached wireless router and
    >>>the Laptop computer upstairs on the network. something has changed after a
    >>>Windows Update and now I only see my Desktop.
    >>>I can still ping the laptop, find and open it with Netscan.exe and access
    >>>it with VNC viewer.
    >>>
    >>>So it is not a bad problem, but I would like to put find out the reason
    >>>and if possible put it right in case there is some other change that is
    >>>more serious. Simple sharing is enabled on both computers.
    >>>
    >>>Router Netgear WNR834B
    >>>
    >>>System
    >>> ACPI Multiprocessor PC
    >>> Operating System Microsoft Windows XP Professional
    >>> OS Service Pack 2
    >>> I Explorer 7.0.5730.11 (IE 7.0)
    >>> DirectX 4.09.00.0904 (DirectX 9.0c)
    >>>

    >>> Motherboard
    >>> CPU Type DualCore AMD Athlon 64 FX-62, 2800 MHz (14 x 200)
    >>> Motherboard Name Asus Crosshair (3 PCI, 1 PCI-E x1, 1 PCI-E x4,
    >>> 2 PCI-E x16, 4 DDR2 DIMM, Audio, Dual Gigabit LAN, IEEE-1394)
    >>> Motherboard Chipset nVIDIA nForce 590 SLI, AMD Hammer
    >>> System Memory 3328 MB (DDR2-800 DDR2 SDRAM)
    >>> BIOS Type Award (12/11/06)
    >>>
    >>>I would welcome any suggestions
    >>> Uncle John

    >> John,
    >>
    >> A visibility problem like yours is frequently caused by a NetBT setting,
    >> or a
    >> personal firewall, problem.
    >>
    >> http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/2006/0...ing-using.html
    >>
    >> To diagnose the problem, look at logs from "browstat status", "ipconfig
    >> /all",
    >> "net config server", and "net config workstation", from each computer.
    >> Read
    >> this article, and linked articles, and follow instructions precisely
    >> (download
    >> browstat!):
    >>
    >> http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/2005/0...#AskingForHelp
    >>

    >Chuck
    >
    >With the help of Lisa from Kaspersky International we have solved the
    >problem as the result of conflicting configurations in the K A-V version 7
    >which is installed on both my main desktop PC and the laptop at the end of
    >the wireless link. KAV has a module called Proactive defence which is very
    >powerful and is intended to improve internet speed by obviating the need for
    >a firewall but is quite complex to configure.

    That's great news, John! Thanks for the update.

    http://bloggerstatusforreal.blogspot...-you-help.html

    --
    Cheers,
    http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/