Wireless Adaptor Driver Problems - Wireless

This is a discussion on Wireless Adaptor Driver Problems - Wireless ; Can anyone help me please? I bought a wireless network kit from D-Link and installed the SW and Router on my wife's laptop PC. I loaded the SW for the Wireless adaptor on my desktop PC and inserted the wireless ...

  1. Wireless Adaptor Driver Problems

    Can anyone help me please? I bought a wireless network kit from D-Link and
    installed the SW and Router on my wife's laptop PC. I loaded the SW for the
    Wireless adaptor on my desktop PC and inserted the wireless adaptor into the
    USB port and bingo, everything worked perfectly for a couple of weeks. After
    1 week on holiday, I came home, switched on my desktop PC but could not
    establish a connection to the router. I double clicked on the DLink Icon for
    the network connection wizard, got an hourglass for 4 seconds, but the
    application failed to run. I uninstalled the sw and re-installed it but there
    was no change. I tried again, still no change. I started to click around a
    bit to try and find out what was going wrong and got one message that
    indicated that the driver was missing.
    I used the windows update driver facility and selected a driver from the
    application CD (one of four options - took best guess). I got an error
    message saying that installation had failed. This error message "An error
    occurred in the installation of this device. The name is already in use as
    either a service name or a service display name. Got another brief message
    that the Wireless adaptor was faulty. Returned it to store and obtained a
    replacement (adaptor only as router is working OK on wife's laptop).
    Re-installed sw but each time results in error message "failed to load
    driver" I searched the net, found this page
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/823771/en-us and followed steps after
    uninstalling sw again. Found no registry entries associated with DLink.
    Installed sw again, same result, failed to load driver. If I try and reload
    the driver directly, I still get the "An error occurred in the installation
    of this device. The name is already in use as either a service name or a
    service display name.” error message but I can’t determine what this message
    means and how to fix the problem.

  2. Re: Wireless Adaptor Driver Problems

    Hi
    Try to disable switch off Windows Wireless Zero Configuration,
    http://www.ezlan.net/wzc.html
    Get rid of Ghosts (if any) in the Device Manger,
    http://www.ezlan.net/faq.html#ghost
    Load again the Card's Utility and Drives together.
    Jack (MVP-Networking).

    "Richard_C" wrote in message
    > Can anyone help me please? I bought a wireless network kit from D-Link and
    > installed the SW and Router on my wife's laptop PC. I loaded the SW for
    > the
    > Wireless adaptor on my desktop PC and inserted the wireless adaptor into
    > the
    > USB port and bingo, everything worked perfectly for a couple of weeks.
    > After
    > 1 week on holiday, I came home, switched on my desktop PC but could not
    > establish a connection to the router. I double clicked on the DLink Icon
    > for
    > the network connection wizard, got an hourglass for 4 seconds, but the
    > application failed to run. I uninstalled the sw and re-installed it but
    > there
    > was no change. I tried again, still no change. I started to click around
    > bit to try and find out what was going wrong and got one message that
    > indicated that the driver was missing.
    > I used the windows update driver facility and selected a driver from the
    > application CD (one of four options - took best guess). I got an error
    > message saying that installation had failed. This error message "An error
    > occurred in the installation of this device. The name is already in use as
    > either a service name or a service display name. Got another brief
    > message
    > that the Wireless adaptor was faulty. Returned it to store and obtained a
    > replacement (adaptor only as router is working OK on wife's laptop).
    > Re-installed sw but each time results in error message "failed to load
    > driver" I searched the net, found this page
    > http://support.microsoft.com/kb/823771/en-us and followed steps after
    > uninstalling sw again. Found no registry entries associated with DLink.
    > Installed sw again, same result, failed to load driver. If I try and
    > reload
    > the driver directly, I still get the "An error occurred in the
    > installation
    > of this device. The name is already in use as either a service name or a
    > service display name.” error message but I can’t determine what this
    > message
    > means and how to fix the problem.

  3. Re: Wireless Adaptor Driver Problems

    Hi Jack,
    Thanks for your help on this problem. Managed to switch off Wireless Zero
    Configuration OK.
    Then went to Device Manager, found yellow exclamation mark against Wireless
    Adaptor entry. Uninstalled. Rebooted , reinstalled Application, failed to
    load driver. Checked Device Manager again, yellow mark back again.
    Uninstalled again. Rebooted. Opened Device Manager Window to watch during
    Application Installation. During setup, when asked to insert Wireless
    Adaptor, Device Manager refreshed and showed "Other Devices" with 802.11 bg
    WLAN underneath, marked with yellow question mark and exclamation mark.
    Continued installation, driver failed to install again, entry in Device
    Manager changed to D-Link DWA-111 Wireless G USB Adaptor #12. I noticed that
    the previous instance of this entry was marked #11. Does this mean I now have
    12 rogue installations to deal with? Can you offer any more advice please?

    "Jack (MVP-Networking)." wrote:

    > Hi
    > Try to disable switch off Windows Wireless Zero Configuration,
    > http://www.ezlan.net/wzc.html
    > Get rid of Ghosts (if any) in the Device Manger,
    > http://www.ezlan.net/faq.html#ghost
    > Load again the Card's Utility and Drives together.
    > Jack (MVP-Networking).
    >
    > "Richard_C" wrote in message
    > > Can anyone help me please? I bought a wireless network kit from D-Link and
    > > installed the SW and Router on my wife's laptop PC. I loaded the SW for
    > > the
    > > Wireless adaptor on my desktop PC and inserted the wireless adaptor into
    > > the
    > > USB port and bingo, everything worked perfectly for a couple of weeks.
    > > After
    > > 1 week on holiday, I came home, switched on my desktop PC but could not
    > > establish a connection to the router. I double clicked on the DLink Icon
    > > for
    > > the network connection wizard, got an hourglass for 4 seconds, but the
    > > application failed to run. I uninstalled the sw and re-installed it but
    > > there
    > > was no change. I tried again, still no change. I started to click around
    > > bit to try and find out what was going wrong and got one message that
    > > indicated that the driver was missing.
    > > I used the windows update driver facility and selected a driver from the
    > > application CD (one of four options - took best guess). I got an error
    > > message saying that installation had failed. This error message "An error
    > > occurred in the installation of this device. The name is already in use as
    > > either a service name or a service display name. Got another brief
    > > message
    > > that the Wireless adaptor was faulty. Returned it to store and obtained a
    > > replacement (adaptor only as router is working OK on wife's laptop).
    > > Re-installed sw but each time results in error message "failed to load
    > > driver" I searched the net, found this page
    > > http://support.microsoft.com/kb/823771/en-us and followed steps after
    > > uninstalling sw again. Found no registry entries associated with DLink.
    > > Installed sw again, same result, failed to load driver. If I try and
    > > reload
    > > the driver directly, I still get the "An error occurred in the
    > > installation
    > > of this device. The name is already in use as either a service name or a
    > > service display name.” error message but I can’t determine what this
    > > message
    > > means and how to fix the problem.

  4. Re: Wireless Adaptor Driver Problems

    Hi
    Ignore the number every time you install it advances but that does not mean
    that there is any other installation.
    Try to log to D-Link support and download the latest drivers, if it doe not
    help it might indicate a faulty card.
    Jack (MVP-Networking).

    "Richard_C" wrote in message
> [...]
    >> > either a service name or a service display name. Got another brief
    >> > message
    >> > that the Wireless adaptor was faulty. Returned it to store and obtained
    >> > replacement (adaptor only as router is working OK on wife's laptop).
    >> > Re-installed sw but each time results in error message "failed to load
    >> > driver" I searched the net, found this page
    >> > http://support.microsoft.com/kb/823771/en-us and followed steps after
    >> > uninstalling sw again. Found no registry entries associated with DLink.
    >> > Installed sw again, same result, failed to load driver. If I try and
    >> > reload
    >> > the driver directly, I still get the "An error occurred in the
    >> > installation
    >> > of this device. The name is already in use as either a service name or
    >> > service display name.” error message but I can’t determine what this

  5. Re: Wireless Adaptor Driver Problems

    Hi Jack,
    Already have the latest drivers from D-Link. Have tried installing from
    original CD and the download. Perhaps I'll take the whole kit back to the
    shop and try to exchange it for something else. Really appreciate you help.
    Thanks again.

+ Reply to Thread