Problem with BT Home Hub. - Wireless

This is a discussion on Problem with BT Home Hub. - Wireless ; Hi All, I have a BT Home Hub and similar to many other users, I am finding that since a BT delivered firmware upgrade, my work laptop (A Toshiba Tablet running XP Pro) fails to connect wirelessly - it's ok ...

  1. Problem with BT Home Hub.

    Hi All,

    I have a BT Home Hub and similar to many other users, I am finding that
    since a BT delivered firmware upgrade, my work laptop (A Toshiba Tablet
    running XP Pro) fails to connect wirelessly - it's ok if I hard wire.

    Another PC in the house with a Belkin wireless card does not have the same
    problem and has coped with the firmware upgrade without difficulty.

    A fix is that I reset the home hub, but that involves reconfiguring etc, as
    nearly all the configuration is lost and it can't saved previously. Yeh, I
    know, crap isn't it!

    I can't help but think that this is something that I should be able to
    resolve at the laptop, but can't spot it.

    Any ideas?

    Cheers.
    Bill.

  2. Re: Problem with BT Home Hub.

    Bill wrote:
    > Hi All,
    >
    > I have a BT Home Hub and similar to many other users, I am finding that
    > since a BT delivered firmware upgrade, my work laptop (A Toshiba Tablet
    > running XP Pro) fails to connect wirelessly - it's ok if I hard wire.
    >
    > Another PC in the house with a Belkin wireless card does not have the same
    > problem and has coped with the firmware upgrade without difficulty.
    >
    > A fix is that I reset the home hub, but that involves reconfiguring etc, as
    > nearly all the configuration is lost and it can't saved previously. Yeh, I
    > know, crap isn't it!
    >
    > I can't help but think that this is something that I should be able to
    > resolve at the laptop, but can't spot it.
    >
    > Any ideas?
    >
    > Cheers.
    > Bill.

    Without more details, it's difficult to give focused advice, but on the
    laptop, try deleting the entry for your wireless network and then
    re-create it, paying special attention to entering your encryption
    passphrase accurately.

    What was the firmware update supposed to address?

    --
    Lem -- MS-MVP - Networking

    To the moon and back with 4KB of RAM and 72KB of ROM.

  3. Re: Problem with BT Home Hub.

    > Without more details, it's difficult to give focused advice, but on the
    > laptop, try deleting the entry for your wireless network and then
    > re-create it, paying special attention to entering your encryption
    > passphrase accurately.
    >
    > What was the firmware update supposed to address?
    >
    > --
    > Lem -- MS-MVP - Networking
    >
    > To the moon and back with 4KB of RAM and 72KB of ROM.

    Firmware upgrade was supposed to prevent a security flaw that allowed
    unauthorised access to the hub from the internet. BT's response, I
    understand was simply to disable the ability to access the hub remotely, but
    since then my laptop intermittently loses its ability to connect wirelessly.
    Others have had the same problem and it is related to the firmware upgrade!

    Regards.
    Bill.

  4. RE: Problem with BT Home Hub.

    "Bill" wrote:

    > Hi All,
    >
    > I have a BT Home Hub and similar to many other users, I am finding that
    > since a BT delivered firmware upgrade, my work laptop (A Toshiba Tablet
    > running XP Pro) fails to connect wirelessly - it's ok if I hard wire.
    >
    > Another PC in the house with a Belkin wireless card does not have the same
    > problem and has coped with the firmware upgrade without difficulty.
    >
    > A fix is that I reset the home hub, but that involves reconfiguring etc, as
    > nearly all the configuration is lost and it can't saved previously. Yeh, I
    > know, crap isn't it!
    >
    > I can't help but think that this is something that I should be able to
    > resolve at the laptop, but can't spot it.
    >
    > Any ideas?
    >
    > Cheers.
    > Bill.

    Do you want bottom line or Bottom's hub?. ;-)

    Try a new installation using the Original CD to set up the BT Home Hub and
    you can install the firmware back into the hub. security, can be dealt with
    your Anti-virus and Firewall not with a Hub-hub?, some of the upgrade buggy
    and doesn't worth downloading and can be in conflict with other
    hardware/software.
    HTH.
    nass
    ----
    www.nasstec.co.uk

  5. Re: Problem with BT Home Hub.

    > Do you want bottom line or Bottom's hub?. ;-)
    >
    > Try a new installation using the Original CD to set up the BT Home Hub

    and
    > you can install the firmware back into the hub. security, can be dealt

    with
    > your Anti-virus and Firewall not with a Hub-hub?, some of the upgrade

    buggy
    > and doesn't worth downloading and can be in conflict with other
    > hardware/software.
    > HTH.
    > nass
    > ----
    > www.nasstec.co.uk

    Nass,

    Thanks for the advice. Are you taking the mick about me calling it a hub?
    ;-)

    I think its based on a Thompson (??) wireless router with added capability
    for VoIP. BT call it a home hub. It that bl*?dy great white box with a phone
    on the front that you see in the BT adverts!!

    Regards.
    Bill.

  6. Re: Problem with BT Home Hub.

    "Bill" wrote:

    > > Do you want bottom line or Bottom's hub?. ;-)
    > >
    > > Try a new installation using the Original CD to set up the BT Home Hub

    > and
    > > you can install the firmware back into the hub. security, can be dealt

    > with
    > > your Anti-virus and Firewall not with a Hub-hub?, some of the upgrade

    > buggy
    > > and doesn't worth downloading and can be in conflict with other
    > > hardware/software.
    > > HTH.
    > > nass
    > > ----
    > > www.nasstec.co.uk
    > >

    > Nass,
    >
    > Thanks for the advice. Are you taking the mick about me calling it a hub?
    > ;-)
    >
    > I think its based on a Thompson (??) wireless router with added capability
    > for VoIP. BT call it a home hub. It that bl*?dy great white box with a phone
    > on the front that you see in the BT adverts!!
    >
    > Regards.
    > Bill.

    Hi Bill,
    First of all I never ever take the mickey on anybody, sorry if my wording
    were like this, but I have the same Hub from BT with all the Motive, Thompson
    and talk features.
    As I mentioned some upgrade/update can by a pain in the!!!, compatibility,
    buggy or a corrupt upgrade can occur. So, your best option is to uninstall
    the Software and then run a scan for malware, viruses to make sure nothing
    interfering, then run disk clean and try the installation from the original
    Set Up CD.
    If you don't have it you can call BT to send you order it from them.
    HTH.
    Regards,
    nass
    ----
    http://www.nasstec.co.uk

  7. Re: Problem with BT Home Hub.

    "nass" wrote in message

    > "Bill" wrote:
    >

    > > > Do you want bottom line or Bottom's hub?. ;-)
    > > >
    > > > Try a new installation using the Original CD to set up the BT Home

    Hub
    > > and
    > > > you can install the firmware back into the hub. security, can be dealt

    > > with
    > > > your Anti-virus and Firewall not with a Hub-hub?, some of the upgrade

    > > buggy
    > > > and doesn't worth downloading and can be in conflict with other
    > > > hardware/software.
    > > > HTH.
    > > > nass
    > > > ----
    > > > www.nasstec.co.uk
    > > >

    > > Nass,
    > >
    > > Thanks for the advice. Are you taking the mick about me calling it a

    hub?
    > > ;-)
    > >
    > > I think its based on a Thompson (??) wireless router with added

    capability
    > > for VoIP. BT call it a home hub. It that bl*?dy great white box with a

    phone
    > > on the front that you see in the BT adverts!!
    > >
    > > Regards.
    > > Bill.

    > Hi Bill,
    > First of all I never ever take the mickey on anybody, sorry if my wording
    > were like this, but I have the same Hub from BT with all the Motive,

    Thompson
    > and talk features.
    > As I mentioned some upgrade/update can by a pain in the!!!, compatibility,
    > buggy or a corrupt upgrade can occur. So, your best option is to uninstall
    > the Software and then run a scan for malware, viruses to make sure

    nothing
    > interfering, then run disk clean and try the installation from the

    original
    > Set Up CD.
    > If you don't have it you can call BT to send you order it from them.
    > HTH.
    > Regards,
    > nass
    > ----
    > http://www.nasstec.co.uk

    Ok, thanks Nass, don't worry i didn't take offence and thanks for getting
    back.
    Regards.
    Bill.

+ Reply to Thread