Actiontec MI424WR and WG111 v3 - Wireless

This is a discussion on Actiontec MI424WR and WG111 v3 - Wireless ; I've got a desktop with a Netgear WG111 about 30 feet from an Actiontec MI424WR router provided by Verizon. If I go to speedtest.net from my desktop that is hardwired to the router I get the full 15 Mb I ...

  1. Actiontec MI424WR and WG111 v3

    I've got a desktop with a Netgear WG111 about 30 feet from an
    Actiontec MI424WR router provided by Verizon. If I go to
    speedtest.net from my desktop that is hardwired to the router I get
    the full 15 Mb I should get (FIOS). If I go to the desktop with the
    WG111 I get about 4 Mb. The speed of the wireless fluctuates between
    11 and 36. In fact it was unusable with the channel set at 1. I have
    it at 11 now and this is the best performance I have seen. Should
    this be all I should expect? Would I do better with a PCI adapter?
    Another manufacturer? Just wondering if I should bother to return the
    WG111 or if my expectations are too high.

    Thanks,
    Jim

  2. Re: Actiontec MI424WR and WG111 v3

    Hi
    Pending on the nature of you physical environment and the surrounding
    Electrical noise, at 30 feet, 11 to 36 Mb/sec. fluctuation is typical to
    802.11g Hardware.
    You can improve the Wireless by installing a High Gain Directional Antenna
    of the Wireless Card of the computer.
    If your current card does not have a removable Antenna buy a PCI Wireless
    card and a directional 8dbi or more Antenna.
    Example for an inexpensive decent card,
    Antenna, http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16833162131

    Disclaimer, I have No connection to, and No gains concerning the links
    posted. It just an example for the type of Hardware.
    Jack (MVP-Networking).

    "jtpr" wrote in message
    news:1194359391.604653.262690@z9g2000hsf.googlegro ups.com...
    > I've got a desktop with a Netgear WG111 about 30 feet from an
    > Actiontec MI424WR router provided by Verizon. If I go to
    > speedtest.net from my desktop that is hardwired to the router I get
    > the full 15 Mb I should get (FIOS). If I go to the desktop with the
    > WG111 I get about 4 Mb. The speed of the wireless fluctuates between
    > 11 and 36. In fact it was unusable with the channel set at 1. I have
    > it at 11 now and this is the best performance I have seen. Should
    > this be all I should expect? Would I do better with a PCI adapter?
    > Another manufacturer? Just wondering if I should bother to return the
    > WG111 or if my expectations are too high.
    >
    > Thanks,
    > Jim

+ Reply to Thread