Random losing Wireless Connection - Wireless

This is a discussion on Random losing Wireless Connection - Wireless ; Hi, My sister has a new Vista laptop and and Trendent router (WEP security enabled) and she is suffering from random disconnects of the wireless connection. I know there are many reasons for this but i am wondering of there ...

  1. Random losing Wireless Connection

    Hi,
    My sister has a new Vista laptop and and Trendent router (WEP security
    enabled) and she is suffering from random disconnects of the wireless
    connection. I know there are many reasons for this but i am wondering of
    there is any log that we could look in to start getting some hints as to why
    (nd even when) she is losing the connection. She sometimes does not turn on
    her PC for several days (travels a lot) and I am wondering if this is
    something that contributes to it.
    thanks,
    Montreal

  2. RE: Random losing Wireless Connection

    "Montreal" wrote:

    > Hi,
    > My sister has a new Vista laptop and and Trendent router (WEP security
    > enabled) and she is suffering from random disconnects of the wireless
    > connection. I know there are many reasons for this but i am wondering of
    > there is any log that we could look in to start getting some hints as to why
    > (nd even when) she is losing the connection. She sometimes does not turn on
    > her PC for several days (travels a lot) and I am wondering if this is
    > something that contributes to it.
    > thanks,
    > Montreal

    This could be due to:
    1- A Power management settings for the NIC, to know if the Power management
    settings correct try this:
    Right click " MY Computer" select Properties and then click on Hardware Tab
    then click on Device Manager button.
    On Device Manager locate this:
    [+] Network Adapters, click on the Plus [+] to expand to [-] and locate the
    Wireless NIC, then while highlighting the NIC click on the Properties Button.
    On the NIC Properties window click on Power management and make sure this
    check box is unchecked:
    [ ] Let the computer Turn OFF this Device for power saving.

    Click [Ok] and out, does it help retain the connection.

    2- Best if She/ Both of you change from the Weak WEP encryption method to
    the WPA-PSK more secure, also change from the default channel (11 and 6) as
    your neighbour may using the same channel to access their wireless which can
    interfere with Her connection, making Her losing access.

    3- Update the Firmware for the Wireless from the Laptop Manufacturer.

    Finally, Open a run command and type in:
    ipconfig /flushdns click [OK]
    ipconfig /renew click [OK]
    netsh winsock reset click [OK]
    Reboot your machine, does it help?.

    You may receive a "Limited or no connectivity" message
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/892896
    HTH.
    nass
    ---