2 laptop connected via router, how do I set up file sharing? - Wireless

This is a discussion on 2 laptop connected via router, how do I set up file sharing? - Wireless ; I have successfully connected 2 laptops via a wireless N broadband router. They are sharing internet, but I need to make one laptop a master and the other a slave. I have a database which I want the slave to ...

  1. 2 laptop connected via router, how do I set up file sharing?

    I have successfully connected 2 laptops via a wireless N broadband router.
    They are sharing internet, but I need to make one laptop a master and the
    other a slave. I have a database which I want the slave to enter data and
    the master to be working in the database as well.

  2. Re: 2 laptop connected via router, how do I set up file sharing?

    This Windows sharing how to may help.

    How to enable windows sharingHow to enable Windows sharing. One of the
    reasons to create a workgroup or domain network is for all computers on the
    network to access the network ...
    http://www.howtonetworking.com/Netwo...lesharing0.htm

    --
    Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE
    http://www.ChicagoTech.net

    "PAR" wrote in message
    >I have successfully connected 2 laptops via a wireless N broadband router.
    > They are sharing internet, but I need to make one laptop a master and the
    > other a slave. I have a database which I want the slave to enter data and
    > the master to be working in the database as well.

  3. Re: 2 laptop connected via router, how do I set up file sharing?

    The two PCs are connected. A folder is set to share, but I get a pop up box
    asking for user name and password when I use remote desktop from the slave
    computer. Where can I set the user and password on the master?

    "Robert L. (MS-MVP)" wrote:

    > This Windows sharing how to may help.
    >
    > How to enable windows sharingHow to enable Windows sharing. One of the
    > reasons to create a workgroup or domain network is for all computers on the
    > network to access the network ...
    > http://www.howtonetworking.com/Netwo...lesharing0.htm
    >

    > --
    > Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE
    > http://www.ChicagoTech.net
    > http://www.HowToNetworking.com
    >

    > "PAR" wrote in message
    > >I have successfully connected 2 laptops via a wireless N broadband router.
    > > They are sharing internet, but I need to make one laptop a master and the
    > > other a slave. I have a database which I want the slave to enter data and
    > > the master to be working in the database as well.

  4. Re: 2 laptop connected via router, how do I set up file sharing?

    Hi
    In peer to peer Network there is No master and slave, all the computers are
    equal.
    If you enable sharing on computer A and establish who can access it, all
    allowed computer cans access A.
    Same apply to any other computer that is configured to Share Files and
    Printers.

    http://www.ezlan.net/sharing.html

    allowed to be shared.

    Vista File and Printer Sharing-

    Basic XP -

    Printer Sharing XP -

    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/875357

    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/922120

    Jack (MVP-Networking).

    "PAR" wrote in message
    >I have successfully connected 2 laptops via a wireless N broadband router.
    > They are sharing internet, but I need to make one laptop a master and the
    > other a slave. I have a database which I want the slave to enter data and
    > the master to be working in the database as well.

  5. Re: 2 laptop connected via router, how do I set up file sharing?

    I created a user account. When I go to the slave pc and try to connect using
    the user account I get computer can't connect to the remote computer

    "Robert L. (MS-MVP)" wrote:

    > This Windows sharing how to may help.
    >
    > How to enable windows sharingHow to enable Windows sharing. One of the
    > reasons to create a workgroup or domain network is for all computers on the
    > network to access the network ...
    > http://www.howtonetworking.com/Netwo...lesharing0.htm
    >

    > --
    > Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE
    > http://www.ChicagoTech.net
    > http://www.HowToNetworking.com
    >

    > "PAR" wrote in message
    > >I have successfully connected 2 laptops via a wireless N broadband router.
    > > They are sharing internet, but I need to make one laptop a master and the
    > > other a slave. I have a database which I want the slave to enter data and
    > > the master to be working in the database as well.

  6. Re: 2 laptop connected via router, how do I set up file sharing?

    how do I establish who can access it? I have set this up via parallel port,
    but not wirelessly. In parallel port one is host other is guest. That is
    what I am trying to establish.

    "Jack (MVP-Networking)." wrote:

    > Hi
    > In peer to peer Network there is No master and slave, all the computers are
    > equal.
    > If you enable sharing on computer A and establish who can access it, all
    > allowed computer cans access A.
    > Same apply to any other computer that is configured to Share Files and
    > Printers.

    > http://www.ezlan.net/sharing.html

    > allowed to be shared.
    >
    > Vista File and Printer Sharing-
    >
    > Basic XP -
    > http://www.microsoft.com/technet/pro...lesharing.mspx
    >
    > Advanced XP - http://support.microsoft.com/default...b;en-us;304040
    >
    > Printer Sharing XP -

    > http://support.microsoft.com/kb/875357

    > http://support.microsoft.com/kb/922120
    >
    > Jack (MVP-Networking).
    >

    > "PAR" wrote in message
    > >I have successfully connected 2 laptops via a wireless N broadband router.
    > > They are sharing internet, but I need to make one laptop a master and the
    > > other a slave. I have a database which I want the slave to enter data and
    > > the master to be working in the database as well.

  7. Re: 2 laptop connected via router, how do I set up file sharing?

    Also, I have looked at the attachments, but the tabs I see do not have the
    same options.

    "Jack (MVP-Networking)." wrote:

    > Hi
    > In peer to peer Network there is No master and slave, all the computers are
    > equal.
    > If you enable sharing on computer A and establish who can access it, all
    > allowed computer cans access A.
    > Same apply to any other computer that is configured to Share Files and
    > Printers.

    > http://www.ezlan.net/sharing.html

    > allowed to be shared.
    >
    > Vista File and Printer Sharing-
    >
    > Basic XP -
    > http://www.microsoft.com/technet/pro...lesharing.mspx
    >
    > Advanced XP - http://support.microsoft.com/default...b;en-us;304040
    >
    > Printer Sharing XP -

    > http://support.microsoft.com/kb/875357

    > http://support.microsoft.com/kb/922120
    >
    > Jack (MVP-Networking).
    >

    > "PAR" wrote in message
    > >I have successfully connected 2 laptops via a wireless N broadband router.
    > > They are sharing internet, but I need to make one laptop a master and the
    > > other a slave. I have a database which I want the slave to enter data and
    > > the master to be working in the database as well.

  8. Re: 2 laptop connected via router, how do I set up file sharing?

    Simplly create the same username with the password on both computers. You
    should be access it without asking for the password.

    Access issues"computername is not accessible. No permission to access the
    resources" ... Message: "....is not accessible. You may not have permission
    to use this network ...
    www.chicagotech.net/accesserrors.htm

    --
    Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE
    http://www.ChicagoTech.net

    "PAR" wrote in message
    > The two PCs are connected. A folder is set to share, but I get a pop up
    > box
    > asking for user name and password when I use remote desktop from the slave
    > computer. Where can I set the user and password on the master?
    >

    > "Robert L. (MS-MVP)" wrote:
    >
    >> This Windows sharing how to may help.
    >>
    >> How to enable windows sharingHow to enable Windows sharing. One of the
    >> reasons to create a workgroup or domain network is for all computers on
    >> the
    >> network to access the network ...
    >> http://www.howtonetworking.com/Netwo...lesharing0.htm
    >>

    >> --
    >> Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE
    >> http://www.ChicagoTech.net
    >> http://www.HowToNetworking.com
    >>

    >> "PAR" wrote in message
    >> >I have successfully connected 2 laptops via a wireless N broadband
    >> >router.
    >> > They are sharing internet, but I need to make one laptop a master and
    >> > the
    >> > other a slave. I have a database which I want the slave to enter data
    >> > and
    >> > the master to be working in the database as well.

  9. Re: 2 laptop connected via router, how do I set up file sharing?

    Hi
    The pages in the links that are in my previous post explain how to set
    permissions.
    Jack (MVP-Networking).

    "PAR" wrote in message
    > Also, I have looked at the attachments, but the tabs I see do not have the
    > same options.
    >
    > "Jack (MVP-Networking)." wrote:
    >
    >> Hi
    >> In peer to peer Network there is No master and slave, all the computers
    >> are
    >> equal.
    >> If you enable sharing on computer A and establish who can access it, all
    >> allowed computer cans access A.
    >> Same apply to any other computer that is configured to Share Files and
    >> Printers.
    >>
    >> Successful Sharing involves some general consideration in Network
    >> settings,
    >> http://www.ezlan.net/sharing.html
    >>
    >> As well as specific adjustment of each computer according to what it is
    >> allowed to be shared.
    >>
    >> Vista File and Printer Sharing-
    >> http://www.microsoft.com/technet/net.../vista_fp.mspx
    >>
    >> Basic XP -
    >> http://www.microsoft.com/technet/pro...lesharing.mspx
    >>
    >> Advanced XP -
    >>
    >> Printer Sharing XP -
    >> http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/u...utt_july2.mspx
    >>
    >> Windows Native Firewall setting for Sharing XP -
    >> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/875357
    >>
    >> Windows XP patch for Sharing with Vista -
    >> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/922120
    >>
    >> Jack (MVP-Networking).
    >>

    >> "PAR" wrote in message
    >> >I have successfully connected 2 laptops via a wireless N broadband
    >> >router.
    >> > They are sharing internet, but I need to make one laptop a master and
    >> > the
    >> > other a slave. I have a database which I want the slave to enter data
    >> > and
    >> > the master to be working in the database as well.

+ Reply to Thread