Another try, wireless network in XP MCE - Wireless

This is a discussion on Another try, wireless network in XP MCE - Wireless ; Trip got cancelled meaning that I can now dedicate more time to truobleshooting. I´ll try the keyboardthing in a while. But since the network is working i decided to test it by transferring a large file (700mb). The wireless network ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Results 21 to 22 of 22

  1. Re: Another try, wireless network in XP MCE

    Trip got cancelled meaning that I can now dedicate more time to
    truobleshooting. I´ll try the keyboardthing in a while. But since the network
    is working i decided to test it by transferring a large file (700mb). The
    wireless network status indicator tells me that the transferspeed is
    aproximately 250 mbit/s (varies from 210-270). Quite good since the maximum
    theoretical speed is 300 mbit/s according to Belkin. But the filetransfer
    takes enourmus time >20 minutes. Shouldn´t 700 mb=5600mbit transfer in like
    under a minute at 250mbit/s-speed??? Or is my calculation wrong?
    Told you before that i had USB 2.0. Looking in the system it doesn´t seem
    like it.
    According to the guy that built the PC it´s supposed to be 2.0, but it´s a
    VIA-based host controller.
    Searched some other forums and discovered that VIA-based USB doesn´t have
    2.0 drivers supported in XP SP2 due to some license issue. Therefor windows
    recognizes it as 1.1.

    Any suggestions how to resolve this. Is there a way to force windows to
    recognize the 2.0 hubs???

    "Haze" wrote:

    > Yes sure, i´ll give it a try. I´ll be out of town for a week though but i´ll
    > get back to you. But i don´t really understand how a wireless connection
    > could screw with live-TV through a keybord and a remote since these are
    > pretty inactive when watching TV, part from switching channels.
    >
    > Not at home at the moment but I think it´s 1gb or possibly 2gb RAM. The
    > videocard is an Nvidia geforce 7600 gs with 256mb video memory. Also using
    > some software such as ffdshow to enhance the picture.
    >
    > "Barb Bowman" wrote:
    >
    > > yes, this mismatch could have been the issue.
    > > as for the other issue, as I suggested, can you please try a wired
    > > keyboard and mouse to assist in diagnosing this?
    > >
    > > also, how much RAM is in this computer? what video card and how much
    > > on board video memory?
    > >
    > > On Wed, 7 Nov 2007 03:21:02 -0800, Haze
    > > wrote:
    > >
    > > >Nevermind my previous post. Somehow i had established a new wireless network.
    > > >Deleted this and now it works. Also discovered that I had diffrent settings
    > > >in encryption. WPA in the router and WEP in the USB-adapter settings. Now
    > > >it´s the same and I haven´t lost connection for over an hour - new record!!
    > > >Could this be what caused all my previos problems??
    > > >Well let´s hope for the best.
    > > >Though one problem still remains. While connected to the network, the
    > > >live-TV application isn´t running very smoothly (when disconected it works
    > > >like a charm). It´s almost as the CPU get´s overloaded. But can a wireless
    > > >connection really demand so much??
    > > >There´s quite a few other applications running as autostart and perhaps is
    > > >the wireless the "drop that fills the cup". Maybe i should remove some of
    > > >them. Though I´m a bit unsure which ones is necessary to keep.

  2. Re: Another try, wireless network in XP MCE

    Calculations aside, transfer speed over wireless goes up and down.
    Belkin's 300 is a data rate and not necessarily actual throughput.
    You should probably follow up on the USB issue in the hardware and
    devices groups, but it sounds like an iffy situation to me.

    Have you considered exchanging the USB for a PCI card ?

    --

    Barb Bowman
    MS Windows-MVP

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2