wireless + wired - Wireless

This is a discussion on wireless + wired - Wireless ; I hope this is the correct forum or at least I can get some guidance. I have a home network that works quiet well. A WAP that is wired to a switch. Computers on the switch have assigned IP addresses ...

  1. wireless + wired

    I hope this is the correct forum or at least I can get some guidance.

    I have a home network that works quiet well. A WAP that is wired to a
    switch. Computers on the switch have assigned IP addresses (192.168.15.2+)
    and wireless devices are DHCP with the range (192.168.15.150+) mask
    255.255.255.0

    I am trying to setup some more computers in the house. I have 2 machines
    (both XP but could be changed if that would make this easier) with wireless
    cards and built in ethernet. I have 2 additional computers in this location
    with built-in ethernet only. I have a switch with these 4 computers plugged
    into the switch.

    I would like for the 2 computers that have wired ethernet only to be able to
    route thru the WAP. I have tried setting up Internet Connection Sharing on
    one of the computers with the wireless card but the wired computers could not
    access DNS. I tried setting up a bridge on one of the machines with the
    wireless+wired cards but this did not work for me. I tried setting up ip
    forwarding but the return route thru the access point did not work.

    What would be the "best" way to set this up?

  2. Re: wireless + wired

    Betsy wrote:
    > I hope this is the correct forum or at least I can get some guidance.
    >
    > I have a home network that works quiet well. A WAP that is wired to a
    > switch. Computers on the switch have assigned IP addresses (192.168.15.2+)
    > and wireless devices are DHCP with the range (192.168.15.150+) mask
    > 255.255.255.0
    >
    > I am trying to setup some more computers in the house. I have 2 machines
    > (both XP but could be changed if that would make this easier) with wireless
    > cards and built in ethernet. I have 2 additional computers in this location
    > with built-in ethernet only. I have a switch with these 4 computers plugged
    > into the switch.
    >
    > I would like for the 2 computers that have wired ethernet only to be able to
    > route thru the WAP. I have tried setting up Internet Connection Sharing on
    > one of the computers with the wireless card but the wired computers could not
    > access DNS. I tried setting up a bridge on one of the machines with the
    > wireless+wired cards but this did not work for me. I tried setting up ip
    > forwarding but the return route thru the access point did not work.
    >
    > What would be the "best" way to set this up?

    You seem to be making things much more difficult than they need to be.
    Why don't you just cascade the two switches by connecting the uplink
    port of one to one of the open ports on the other?

    Also, I don't understand how you want to have "the 2 computers that have
    wired ethernet only to be able to route thru the WAP." How do you
    expect these wired computers to connect to the WAP?

    --
    Lem -- MS-MVP - Networking

    To the moon and back with 4KB of RAM and 72KB of ROM.

  3. Re: wireless + wired

    > You seem to be making things much more difficult than they need to be.
    > Why don't you just cascade the two switches by connecting the uplink
    > port of one to one of the open ports on the other?
    >
    > Also, I don't understand how you want to have "the 2 computers that have
    > wired ethernet only to be able to route thru the WAP." How do you
    > expect these wired computers to connect to the WAP?

    I'm not trying to make this difficult, I original wanted to cascade the
    switches but because of the location in the house, the wiring would be
    exposed and not look appealing. I thought since I had the wireless+wired in
    some computers that I could use this to avoid running wires that woudl be
    exposed thru the house. I really just want the 2 "wired only" to be able to
    communicate with the other computers in the house without having to run
    additional cabling. I thought bridging or internet connection sharing might
    allow this.

  4. Re: wireless + wired

    Hi
    Just adding a second guess to Lem's straight answer.
    If you have two computers with wires but you want to connect them to the
    network Wirelessly you have to buy a Wireless Bridge. The Wireless bridge
    would connect to the WAP and the two computer with plug to the Bridge with
    wires.
    This page describes various scenarios, http://www.ezlan.net/bridging.html
    Jack (MVP-Networking).

    "Betsy" wrote in message
    >I hope this is the correct forum or at least I can get some guidance.
    >
    > I have a home network that works quiet well. A WAP that is wired to a
    > switch. Computers on the switch have assigned IP addresses (192.168.15.2+)
    > and wireless devices are DHCP with the range (192.168.15.150+) mask
    > 255.255.255.0
    >
    > I am trying to setup some more computers in the house. I have 2 machines
    > (both XP but could be changed if that would make this easier) with
    > wireless
    > cards and built in ethernet. I have 2 additional computers in this
    > location
    > with built-in ethernet only. I have a switch with these 4 computers
    > plugged
    > into the switch.
    >
    > I would like for the 2 computers that have wired ethernet only to be able
    > route thru the WAP. I have tried setting up Internet Connection Sharing on
    > one of the computers with the wireless card but the wired computers could
    > not
    > access DNS. I tried setting up a bridge on one of the machines with the
    > wireless+wired cards but this did not work for me. I tried setting up ip
    > forwarding but the return route thru the access point did not work.
    >
    > What would be the "best" way to set this up?

  5. Re: wireless + wired

    do you have a switch or a router? what is the edge device that
    connects to your broadband modem?

    take a look at http://www.dlink.com/products/?sec=1&pid=570

    this device will work with your existing router (or WAP) even if it
    isn't 802.11n. the two wired computers would connect to this and the
    device would bridge wirelessly to the network.

    On Sat, 3 Nov 2007 14:45:00 -0700, Betsy
    wrote:

    >I hope this is the correct forum or at least I can get some guidance.
    >
    >I have a home network that works quiet well. A WAP that is wired to a
    >switch. Computers on the switch have assigned IP addresses (192.168.15.2+)
    >and wireless devices are DHCP with the range (192.168.15.150+) mask
    >255.255.255.0
    >
    >I am trying to setup some more computers in the house. I have 2 machines
    >(both XP but could be changed if that would make this easier) with wireless
    >cards and built in ethernet. I have 2 additional computers in this location
    >with built-in ethernet only. I have a switch with these 4 computers plugged
    >into the switch.
    >
    >I would like for the 2 computers that have wired ethernet only to be able to
    >route thru the WAP. I have tried setting up Internet Connection Sharing on
    >one of the computers with the wireless card but the wired computers could not
    >access DNS. I tried setting up a bridge on one of the machines with the
    >wireless+wired cards but this did not work for me. I tried setting up ip
    >forwarding but the return route thru the access point did not work.
    >
    >What would be the "best" way to set this up?

    --

    Barb Bowman
    MS Windows-MVP

  6. Re: wireless + wired

    Betsy wrote:
    >> You seem to be making things much more difficult than they need to be.
    >> Why don't you just cascade the two switches by connecting the uplink
    >> port of one to one of the open ports on the other?
    >>
    >> Also, I don't understand how you want to have "the 2 computers that have
    >> wired ethernet only to be able to route thru the WAP." How do you
    >> expect these wired computers to connect to the WAP?

    > I'm not trying to make this difficult, I original wanted to cascade the
    > switches but because of the location in the house, the wiring would be
    > exposed and not look appealing. I thought since I had the wireless+wired in
    > some computers that I could use this to avoid running wires that woudl be
    > exposed thru the house. I really just want the 2 "wired only" to be able to
    > communicate with the other computers in the house without having to run
    > additional cabling. I thought bridging or internet connection sharing might
    > allow this.

    Sorry to be dense. It's the difficulty of communicating something in
    writing that would be obvious in 30 seconds of looking.

    As Jack said, a wireless bridge will do what you want. An inexpensive
    way to accomplish this is to buy an old (version 4 or earlier) Linksys
    WRT54G router on eBay and then download and flash DD-WRT firmware.

    Alternatively, creating a bridge in XP *should* have worked. Try first
    with only one of the wired/wireless boxes and bridge its wired and
    wireless NICs as shown here:
    http://practicallynetworked.com/shar...workbridge.htm
    What happens when you try this? If it doesn't work, supply ipconfig /all
    information for the 3 "remote" computers.