Not detecting wireless signal - Wireless

This is a discussion on Not detecting wireless signal - Wireless ; I have a desktop and a laptop computer in the same room as my wireless router. The laptop has an internal wireless card, and the desktop has a PCI D-Link wireless card. I am running Network Stumbler on both computers. ...

  1. Not detecting wireless signal

    I have a desktop and a laptop computer in the same room as my wireless
    router.
    The laptop has an internal wireless card, and the desktop has a PCI D-Link
    wireless
    card.
    I am running Network Stumbler on both computers. The laptop shows my router
    and
    a couple of near by neighbours. The desktop only shows my router.
    I was just curious why I would not see the outside access points on my
    desktop computer?

    Thanks.

  2. Re: Not detecting wireless signal

    "Ron Stone" wrote in message news:e%23VKBQkHIHA.4712@TK2MSFTNGP04.phx.gbl...
    >I have a desktop and a laptop computer in the same room as my wireless router.
    > The laptop has an internal wireless card, and the desktop has a PCI D-Link wireless
    > card.
    > I am running Network Stumbler on both computers. The laptop shows my router and
    > a couple of near by neighbours. The desktop only shows my router.
    > I was just curious why I would not see the outside access points on my desktop computer?

    One possible reason - the laptop card is B+G, the desktop - B only.

    --PA

  3. Re: Not detecting wireless signal

    On Sat, 3 Nov 2007 14:04:40 -0400, "Ron Stone"
    wrote:

    >I have a desktop and a laptop computer in the same room as my wireless
    >router.
    >The laptop has an internal wireless card, and the desktop has a PCI D-Link
    >wireless
    >card.
    >I am running Network Stumbler on both computers. The laptop shows my router
    >and
    >a couple of near by neighbours. The desktop only shows my router.
    >I was just curious why I would not see the outside access points on my
    >desktop computer?

    Wild guess: The Access Point is 802.11abg, the desktop's card is
    802.11a only?
    Or the desktop's antenna has very poor placement, hence very
    limited range. (Test: move the laptop to the desktop and
    watch...)

    --
    Kind regards,
    Gerard Bok

  4. Re: Not detecting wireless signal

    "Gerard Bok" wrote in message news:472cc43a.25258283@News.Individual.NET...
    > Wild guess: The Access Point is 802.11abg, the desktop's card is
    > 802.11a only?

    There are no A only cards, wi-fi standard prohibits this.
    An AP however can run in A only mode.

    Regards,
    --PA

    > Or the desktop's antenna has very poor placement, hence very
    > limited range. (Test: move the laptop to the desktop and
    > watch...)
    >
    > --
    > Kind regards,
    > Gerard Bok

  5. Re: Not detecting wireless signal

    Thanks for the replies.
    Both cards are 'G' and the router (Belkin) is set to only us 'G'.
    The desktop sits about 10' in a straight unobstructed line from the
    router. Putting the laptop as close as I physically can to the desktop,
    the laptop still sees signals the desktop does not.
    The desktop is about a foot from an outside wall. I know the outside
    are coming from my neighbours (I'm in a 2 storey house), I am just curious
    why my desktop wireless card does not see these signals.

    "Pavel A." wrote in message
    > "Gerard Bok" wrote in message
    >> Wild guess: The Access Point is 802.11abg, the desktop's card is
    >> 802.11a only?

    > There are no A only cards, wi-fi standard prohibits this.
    > An AP however can run in A only mode.
    >
    > Regards,
    > --PA
    >

    >> Or the desktop's antenna has very poor placement, hence very
    >> limited range. (Test: move the laptop to the desktop and
    >> watch...)
    >>
    >> --
    >> Kind regards,
    >> Gerard Bok