WPA-PSK encyription key is not allowed if more than 8 characters - Wireless

This is a discussion on WPA-PSK encyription key is not allowed if more than 8 characters - Wireless ; Hi , It seems that if WPA-PSK encyription key is not allowed if more than 8 characters it will not accept the key. Is there a fix for this...

  1. WPA-PSK encyription key is not allowed if more than 8 characters

    Hi ,
    It seems that if WPA-PSK encyription key is not allowed if more than 8
    characters it will not accept the key.
    Is there a fix for this

  2. Re: WPA-PSK encyription key is not allowed if more than 8 characters

    "cokram" wrote in message
    newsA4A440B-B4FC-4BA5-86D5-CF6BC4711D99@microsoft.com...
    > Hi ,
    > It seems that if WPA-PSK encyription key is not allowed if more than 8
    > characters it will not accept the key.
    > Is there a fix for this

    What OS (XP, Vista, ??) and what wireless hardware are you using?

    Are you using the manufactures wireless configuration utility or WZC in
    Windows?

    I use a 63-character random ASCII key and WPA-PSK (AES) with my XP and Vista
    machines with a mix of hardware from Belkin (router and wireless card),
    D-Link (wireless card) and hField (USB wireless device). In the past I used
    WPA-PSK (TKIP) and a similar long random key.

    http://www.kurtm.net/wpa-pskgen/

    --

    Al Jarvi (MS-MVP Windows Networking)

    mutual benefit of all of us...
    rights...
    How to ask a question
    http://support.microsoft.com/KB/555375

  3. Re: WPA-PSK encyription key is not allowed if more than 8 characte

    Hi Al,

    Thanks for the reply;
    using Vista and have a lenova t61 laptop and am working for a company and so
    am using the default wireless router ('think its an IBM adaptor')

    Cheers

    "Sooner Al [MVP]" wrote:

    > "cokram" wrote in message
    > newsA4A440B-B4FC-4BA5-86D5-CF6BC4711D99@microsoft.com...
    > > Hi ,
    > > It seems that if WPA-PSK encyription key is not allowed if more than 8
    > > characters it will not accept the key.
    > > Is there a fix for this

    > What OS (XP, Vista, ??) and what wireless hardware are you using?
    >
    > Are you using the manufactures wireless configuration utility or WZC in
    > Windows?
    >
    > I use a 63-character random ASCII key and WPA-PSK (AES) with my XP and Vista
    > machines with a mix of hardware from Belkin (router and wireless card),
    > D-Link (wireless card) and hField (USB wireless device). In the past I used
    > WPA-PSK (TKIP) and a similar long random key.
    >
    > http://www.kurtm.net/wpa-pskgen/
    >
    > --
    >
    > Al Jarvi (MS-MVP Windows Networking)

    > mutual benefit of all of us...
    > rights...
    > How to ask a question
    > http://support.microsoft.com/KB/555375

  4. Re: WPA-PSK encyription key is not allowed if more than 8 characte

    "cokram" wrote in message
    > Hi Al,
    >
    > Thanks for the reply;
    > using Vista and have a lenova t61 laptop and am working for a company and
    > so
    > am using the default wireless router ('think its an IBM adaptor')
    >
    > Cheers

    Are you using the manufactures wireless configuration utility or WZC in
    Windows?

    Are the drivers for the laptop wireless hardware the latest?

    Are you using the correct key? and have you checked with your company
    network administrators for help?

    --

    Al Jarvi (MS-MVP Windows Networking)

    mutual benefit of all of us...
    rights...
    How to ask a question
    http://support.microsoft.com/KB/555375

  5. Re: WPA-PSK encyription key is not allowed if more than 8 characte

    Probably a MFG utility and it wants a passphrase that it will encrypt.

    "Sooner Al [MVP]" wrote in message
    > "cokram" wrote in message
    >> Hi Al,
    >>
    >> Thanks for the reply;
    >> using Vista and have a lenova t61 laptop and am working for a company and
    >> so
    >> am using the default wireless router ('think its an IBM adaptor')
    >>
    >> Cheers
    >>

    > Are you using the manufactures wireless configuration utility or WZC in
    > Windows?
    >
    > Are the drivers for the laptop wireless hardware the latest?
    >
    > Are you using the correct key? and have you checked with your company
    > network administrators for help?
    >
    > --
    >
    > Al Jarvi (MS-MVP Windows Networking)

    > mutual benefit of all of us...