automatic switch between LAN and WiFi - Wireless

This is a discussion on automatic switch between LAN and WiFi - Wireless ; I have a ThinkPad T61 with Intel Proset Wireless. I want to configure it to automatically switch between LAN and WiFi, with LAN being the first option. (I.e. if both are available, I would like it to use the LAN.) ...

  1. automatic switch between LAN and WiFi

    I have a ThinkPad T61 with Intel Proset Wireless. I want to configure
    it to automatically switch between LAN and WiFi, with LAN being the
    first option. (I.e. if both are available, I would like it to use the
    LAN.)

    Currently, it treats WiFi as the first option (if both are available,
    it uses WiFi). I have to manually disable the WiFi in order for it to
    use the LAN.

    Is there a way to do this? Thanks.

  2. Re: automatic switch between LAN and WiFi

    Hi
    Configuring the Metrics of the TCP/IP Stack would do it,
    http://www.ezlan.net/metrics
    Jack (MVP-Networking).

    "Bucky" wrote in message
    news:1193941207.940447.324840@y27g2000pre.googlegr oups.com...
    >I have a ThinkPad T61 with Intel Proset Wireless. I want to configure
    > it to automatically switch between LAN and WiFi, with LAN being the
    > first option. (I.e. if both are available, I would like it to use the
    > LAN.)
    >
    > Currently, it treats WiFi as the first option (if both are available,
    > it uses WiFi). I have to manually disable the WiFi in order for it to
    > use the LAN.
    >
    > Is there a way to do this? Thanks.

  3. Re: automatic switch between LAN and WiFi

    > Configuring the Metrics of the TCP/IP Stack would do it,
    > http://www.ezlan.net/metrics

    (Here's the correct URL):
    http://www.ezlan.net/metrics.html

    Thanks for the reply. Actually, I realized that my laptop *was* using
    LAN as priority. But it is still connecting to WiFi simultaneously. (I
    saw the wireless signal strength taskbar icon and assumed that it was
    using WiFi, but it was actually using LAN).

    While that is okay, ideally I would like the laptop to not connect via
    WiFi at all if connected to LAN. No sense in wasting power or
    broadcasting RF signals necessarily. With my previous laptop, the
    ThinkVantage Access Connections utility was able to handle this (it
    would automatically disable the wireless if LAN was connected, and
    automatically enable when LAN was disconnected).

    Does Windows handle this? Or do I need to install the ThinkVantage
    utility?

  4. Re: automatic switch between LAN and WiFi

    Windows will not because it allows you to connect to two separate networks
    at once so you can do things like VPN which is connecting to two networks at
    once.

    "Bucky" wrote in message
    news:1193949614.231819.99660@t8g2000prg.googlegrou ps.com...
    >> Configuring the Metrics of the TCP/IP Stack would do it,
    >> http://www.ezlan.net/metrics

    > (Here's the correct URL):
    > http://www.ezlan.net/metrics.html
    >
    > Thanks for the reply. Actually, I realized that my laptop *was* using
    > LAN as priority. But it is still connecting to WiFi simultaneously. (I
    > saw the wireless signal strength taskbar icon and assumed that it was
    > using WiFi, but it was actually using LAN).
    >
    > While that is okay, ideally I would like the laptop to not connect via
    > WiFi at all if connected to LAN. No sense in wasting power or
    > broadcasting RF signals necessarily. With my previous laptop, the
    > ThinkVantage Access Connections utility was able to handle this (it
    > would automatically disable the wireless if LAN was connected, and
    > automatically enable when LAN was disconnected).
    >
    > Does Windows handle this? Or do I need to install the ThinkVantage
    > utility?

  5. Re: automatic switch between LAN and WiFi

    On Nov 2, 8:04 am, "Jordan" wrote:
    > Windows will not because it allows you to connect to two separate networks
    > at once so you can do things like VPN which is connecting to two networks at
    > once.

    OK. Looks like I'll just have to install the ThinkVantage Access
    Connections utility. Thanks.

+ Reply to Thread