Security on a networked ystem. - Wireless

This is a discussion on Security on a networked ystem. - Wireless ; Hi, I have two machines in the same house networked to one internet connection, one I use, the other my sons use. Both use Vista. On my machine I have remote access to my work system and obviously some files ...

  1. Security on a networked ystem.

    Hi,
    I have two machines in the same house networked to one internet connection,
    one I use, the other my sons use. Both use Vista.
    On my machine I have remote access to my work system and obviously some
    files from that work system that are confidential are stored on my hard
    drive.
    If I have all file sharing options switched off on my machine, is it
    possible for the other one to gain access to my system? I'm not of course
    talking about industrial espionage here, just my sons inadvertently (or
    otherwise!) gaining access,
    TIA,
    Regards,
    Alan.

  2. Re: Security on a networked ystem.

    Hi
    If the Sharing is Off your computer would not be accesses through the
    Network without special remote settings.
    You can also add local traffic block through software Firewall.
    Jack (MVP-Networking).

    "Alan" wrote in message
    > Hi,
    > I have two machines in the same house networked to one internet
    > connection, one I use, the other my sons use. Both use Vista.
    > On my machine I have remote access to my work system and obviously some
    > files from that work system that are confidential are stored on my hard
    > drive.
    > If I have all file sharing options switched off on my machine, is it
    > possible for the other one to gain access to my system? I'm not of course
    > talking about industrial espionage here, just my sons inadvertently (or
    > otherwise!) gaining access,
    > TIA,
    > Regards,
    > Alan.

  3. Re: Security on a networked ystem.

    That's great,
    Thanks for your time,
    Regards,
    Alan.
    > Hi
    > If the Sharing is Off your computer would not be accesses through the
    > Network without special remote settings.
    > You can also add local traffic block through software Firewall.
    > Jack (MVP-Networking).
    >
    > "Alan" wrote in message
    >> Hi,
    >> I have two machines in the same house networked to one internet
    >> connection, one I use, the other my sons use. Both use Vista.
    >> On my machine I have remote access to my work system and obviously some
    >> files from that work system that are confidential are stored on my hard
    >> drive.
    >> If I have all file sharing options switched off on my machine, is it
    >> possible for the other one to gain access to my system? I'm not of course
    >> talking about industrial espionage here, just my sons inadvertently (or
    >> otherwise!) gaining access,
    >> TIA,
    >> Regards,
    >> Alan.