inconsistent wireless signal - Wireless

This is a discussion on inconsistent wireless signal - Wireless ; I have a desktop with a Linksys WMP54G wireless PCI adapter, and a laptop using Atheros AR5005G wireless network adapter. Both machines sitting next to each other. My laptop connected to my home wireless network about 2 hours ago and ...

  1. inconsistent wireless signal

    I have a desktop with a Linksys WMP54G wireless PCI adapter, and a laptop
    using Atheros AR5005G wireless network adapter. Both machines sitting next
    to each other. My laptop connected to my home wireless network about 2 hours
    ago and has consistent signal, not once did it drop the connection.

    My desktop, however, will not maintain signal for more than 60 seconds.

    Obstructions, I would think, should be equal to both machines. Is there a
    simple solution, or does it sound like I need a stronger signal?

  2. Re: inconsistent wireless signal

    what operating system? is the encryption correct? what version
    driver is the desktop using? need a LOT more information.

    --

    Barb Bowman
    MS Windows-MVP

  3. Re: inconsistent wireless signal

    On Oct 30, 10:41 am, N8 H wrote:
    > I have a desktop with a Linksys WMP54G wireless PCI adapter, and a laptop
    > using Atheros AR5005G wireless network adapter. Both machines sitting next
    > to each other. My laptop connected to my home wireless network about 2 hours
    > ago and has consistent signal, not once did it drop the connection.
    >
    > My desktop, however, will not maintain signal for more than 60 seconds.
    >
    > Obstructions, I would think, should be equal to both machines. Is there a
    > simple solution, or does it sound like I need a stronger signal?

    Do you have any refrigerators or other "noise" generating appliances
    next to your desktop?

  4. Re: inconsistent wireless signal

    Hi
    Is the Antenna of the Desktop up and above the system hardware, or it is
    down between the Desktop and the wall?
    Jack (MVP-Networking).

    "N8 H" wrote in message
    >I have a desktop with a Linksys WMP54G wireless PCI adapter, and a laptop
    > using Atheros AR5005G wireless network adapter. Both machines sitting
    > next
    > to each other. My laptop connected to my home wireless network about 2
    > hours
    > ago and has consistent signal, not once did it drop the connection.
    >
    > My desktop, however, will not maintain signal for more than 60 seconds.
    >
    > Obstructions, I would think, should be equal to both machines. Is there a
    > simple solution, or does it sound like I need a stronger signal?

+ Reply to Thread