Can't maintain wireless connection. - Wireless

This is a discussion on Can't maintain wireless connection. - Wireless ; I recently installed a Linksys WRT54G wireless router to my satellite broadband service to connect my other desktop and my notebook. I installed a Linksys WMP54G PCI adapter to the 2nd desktop. After everything was configured, I can receive and ...

  1. Can't maintain wireless connection.

    I recently installed a Linksys WRT54G wireless router to my satellite
    broadband service to connect my other desktop and my notebook. I installed a
    Linksys WMP54G PCI adapter to the 2nd desktop. After everything was
    configured, I can receive and connect to the signal, but the connection is
    very intermitant. I will connect @ very good signal then mere seconds later
    I will lose connection all together. This scenario continues to repeat.

    My home is 80 feet in length, the router is positioned in the upper level
    approx. 20 feet in. The PC with the wireless adapter is located on the next
    level down the other end of my home approx. 20 feet in. Was I sold the wrong
    equipment or is there something I need to reconfigure?

  2. Re: Can't maintain wireless connection.

    Home construction? # of walls? obstacles like duct work, mirrors,
    large appliances, etc. impact connectivity. 2.4GHz cordless phones,
    microwaves can interfere. what operating system? are there other
    wireless networks in range? what channel are you using? what type of
    encryption and do the keys match? (you should be using WPA2 or at
    least WPA). what wireless driver version? what hardware version of
    the WRT54G and what firmware? are both the latest available?

    --

    Barb Bowman
    MS Windows-MVP

  3. Re: Can't maintain wireless connection.

    Hi
    Might be noisy environment.
    Try to change the transmission channel in the Router, may be another channel
    would work better.
    Jack (MVP-Networking).

    "N8 H" wrote in message
    >I recently installed a Linksys WRT54G wireless router to my satellite
    > broadband service to connect my other desktop and my notebook. I
    > installed a
    > Linksys WMP54G PCI adapter to the 2nd desktop. After everything was
    > configured, I can receive and connect to the signal, but the connection is
    > very intermitant. I will connect @ very good signal then mere seconds
    > later
    > I will lose connection all together. This scenario continues to repeat.
    >
    > My home is 80 feet in length, the router is positioned in the upper level
    > approx. 20 feet in. The PC with the wireless adapter is located on the
    > next
    > level down the other end of my home approx. 20 feet in. Was I sold the
    > wrong
    > equipment or is there something I need to reconfigure?

+ Reply to Thread