Wireless network adapter stuck on 'acquiring ip address' - Wireless

This is a discussion on Wireless network adapter stuck on 'acquiring ip address' - Wireless ; My computer and my sons connect to a Draytek Vigor wireless router. Mine works fine, so did his, but for no apparent reason and with no changes I am aware of it doesn't connect to the Internet anymore but permanently ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 22

  1. Wireless network adapter stuck on 'acquiring ip address'

    My computer and my sons connect to a Draytek Vigor wireless router. Mine
    works fine, so did his, but for no apparent reason and with no changes I am
    aware of it doesn't connect to the Internet anymore but permanently says it
    is acquiring an ip address.

    Any suggestions gratefully accepted.

  2. Re: Wireless network adapter stuck on 'acquiring ip address'

    The wireless network adapter is a belkin usb type. I am using the Belkin
    software at the moment rather than the windows wcz.

  3. Re: Wireless network adapter stuck on 'acquiring ip address'

    Also using Wi-Fi Protected Access (WPA) with preshared key (PSK)
    authentication with Temporal Key Integrity Protocol (TKIP) encryption in the
    router. Have one PC and a laptop working fine on the router.

  4. Re: Wireless network adapter stuck on 'acquiring ip address'

    Trevor wrote:
    > Also using Wi-Fi Protected Access (WPA) with preshared key (PSK)
    > authentication with Temporal Key Integrity Protocol (TKIP) encryption in the
    > router. Have one PC and a laptop working fine on the router.

    Typically, this behavior happens when the wireless adapter isn't
    properly authenticating with the router.

    First, double-check that you haven't inadvertently turned off the radio
    in the wireless adapter. An easy way to check is to view available
    wireless networks, and make sure that you can see at least your own
    router's SSID (I assume that you have not disabled SSID broadcast in the
    Draytek; if you did, turn it back on; disabling SSID broadcast is not a
    useful security measure). If no wireless networks show, then read the
    Belkin adapter's manual to see if there is a software or hardware switch
    to turn the adapter on/off. Also check Device Manager to make sure that
    it is "enabled."

    If you can see the Draytek's SSID in the list of available wireless
    networks but can't connect to it, try deleting the profile in the Belkin
    adapter and re-creating it, and be extra careful to type the WPA
    passphrase correctly. Also, verify that Windows wzc is not running.
    See http://www.ezlan.net/wzc.html

    --
    Lem -- MS-MVP - Networking

    To the moon and back with 4KB of RAM and 72KB of ROM.

  5. Re: Wireless network adapter stuck on 'acquiring ip address'

    try deleting the profile in the Belkin
    adapter and re-creating it, and be extra careful to type the WPA

    Can you give me more precise instructions? I'm not sure where I am deleting
    it from. The routers SSID is showing.

    WCZ is enabled at the moment but only because I enabled it out of
    desperation.

  6. Re: Wireless network adapter stuck on 'acquiring ip address'

    Have deleted the profile in the Belkin Wireless Utility software and
    disabled the WCZ, but still getting stuck on 'acquiring network address'

  7. Re: Wireless network adapter stuck on 'acquiring ip address'

    BTW have downloaded winsockxpfix.exe as I read somewhere this might fix it
    but it won't run on the PC I get a message:

    WinsockxpFix.exe is not a valid win32 application

    ....and I don't know why this is blue and underlined?

  8. Re: Wireless network adapter stuck on 'acquiring ip address'

    ....and yes it is enabled in device manager

  9. Re: Wireless network adapter stuck on 'acquiring ip address'

    ....also might add Windows XP Pro SP2

  10. Re: Wireless network adapter stuck on 'acquiring ip address'

    Trevor wrote:
    > Have deleted the profile in the Belkin Wireless Utility software and
    > disabled the WCZ, but still getting stuck on 'acquiring network address'

    After you did this, and re-booted the laptop, when you attempted to
    connect, were you asked to enter the WPA passphrase and/or create a new
    profile?

    This is not likely to be winsock error, but try this experiment:

    If you have an Ethernet cable lying around, disconnect the Belkin
    adapter from the laptop and connect the Ethernet cable between the
    laptop and the router. You should be able to connect to the Internet
    with no problem. If not, what happens?

    --
    Lem -- MS-MVP - Networking

    To the moon and back with 4KB of RAM and 72KB of ROM.

  11. Re: Wireless network adapter stuck on 'acquiring ip address'

    Yes I was asked for the password.

    This is a desktop nopt a lap top and the router is downstairs so not easy to
    move.

  12. Re: Wireless network adapter stuck on 'acquiring ip address'

    Yes I was asked for the password.

    This is a desktop not a lap top and the router is downstairs so not easy to
    move.

  13. Re: Wireless network adapter stuck on 'acquiring ip address'

    I was thinking of trying system restore wizard but I don't seem to have the
    help available how do I access it?

  14. Re: Wireless network adapter stuck on 'acquiring ip address'

    Trevor wrote:
    > Yes I was asked for the password.
    >
    > This is a desktop nopt a lap top and the router is downstairs so not easy to
    > move.

    There are various possibilities. If you could have connected the
    computer directly to the router, it would have eliminated some.
    However, before you try that (and I understand your reluctance to do so)...

    Does the "acquiring IP address" ever stop? Open a command prompt window
    on the problem computer and type "ipconfig /all > C:\ipresults.txt"
    (without quotes) and press enter. In Notepad, open the file
    C:\ipresults.txt and copy/paste the contents in your next post (you can
    delete the file after you're done).

    You can also try re-setting TCP/IP: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/299357/

    --
    Lem -- MS-MVP - Networking

    To the moon and back with 4KB of RAM and 72KB of ROM.

  15. Re: Wireless network adapter stuck on 'acquiring ip address'

    Hi
    Try this to make sure that the Wireless is installed and configured
    correctly.
    http://www.ezlan.net/wireless.html
    If every thing checks well and it does not work proceed with this process.
    http://www.ezlan.net/clean.html#refreshnet
    In general.
    Jack (MVP-Networking).

    "Trevor" wrote in message
    news:8aa1e$4724ff4b$50e5af86$3160@news.eurofeeds.c om...
    >I was thinking of trying system restore wizard but I don't seem to have the
    >help available how do I access it?

  16. Re: Wireless network adapter stuck on 'acquiring ip address'

    No the 'acquiring network address never stops. The ipresults are here:

    Windows IP Configuration

    Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : TOMS

    Primary Dns Suffix . . . . . . . :

    Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Broadcast

    IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No

    WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No

    Ethernet adapter Wireless Network Connection 5:

    Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :

    Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Belkin 54g Wireless USB Network
    Adapter #2

    Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-11-50-BF-96-C7

    Dhcp Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes

    Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes

    Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . :

  17. Re: Wireless network adapter stuck on 'acquiring ip address'

    > You can also try re-setting TCP/IP:
    > http://support.microsoft.com/kb/299357/

    Have tried this it says it can't connect to the router.

  18. Re: Wireless network adapter stuck on 'acquiring ip address'

    I can't get anythinfg rom this link:

  19. Re: Wireless network adapter stuck on 'acquiring ip address'

    All looks OK but getting nowhere fast!

  20. Re: Wireless network adapter stuck on 'acquiring ip address'

    Forget last message OK now!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast