Help needed with home Wifi - Wireless

This is a discussion on Help needed with home Wifi - Wireless ; We have two desktops and a laptop at home. The two desktops (one XP the other Vista) are hard-wired into a Netgear DG834 v2 router/modem. On occasions we need to connect the laptop to the Internet and turn on our ...

  1. Help needed with home Wifi

    We have two desktops and a laptop at home. The two desktops (one XP the
    other Vista) are hard-wired into a Netgear DG834 v2 router/modem. On
    occasions we need to connect the laptop to the Internet and turn on our
    Belkin Wireless G Router (802.11g) by plugging it into the Netgear Router.
    It all works fine.

    The problem is there is no WEP or WPA key to protect us from anyone in the
    vicinity of our house from using the connection. The CD that came with the
    Belkin isn't any use as it expects you to just use a modem with it.

    Can anyone tell me how I could configure the Wireless router with some sort
    of protection - I know WEP is not that secure but any security will be
    better than none!

    Many thanks,

    Noel

  2. Re: Help needed with home Wifi

    "Noel S Pamfree" wrote in message
    > We have two desktops and a laptop at home. The two desktops (one XP the
    > other Vista) are hard-wired into a Netgear DG834 v2 router/modem. On
    > occasions we need to connect the laptop to the Internet and turn on our
    > Belkin Wireless G Router (802.11g) by plugging it into the Netgear Router.
    > It all works fine.
    >
    > The problem is there is no WEP or WPA key to protect us from anyone in the
    > vicinity of our house from using the connection. The CD that came with
    > the Belkin isn't any use as it expects you to just use a modem with it.
    >
    > Can anyone tell me how I could configure the Wireless router with some
    > sort of protection - I know WEP is not that secure but any security will
    > be better than none!
    >
    > Many thanks,
    >
    > Noel

    Here are links and general wireless security guidelines for connecting a
    Vista or XP machine wirelessly. You can save off the wireless encryption key
    to a flash drive for later use or for use by guests...

    http://theillustratednetwork.mvps.or...sSecurity.html

    --

    Al Jarvi (MS-MVP Windows Networking)

    mutual benefit of all of us...
    rights...
    How to ask a question
    http://support.microsoft.com/KB/555375

  3. Re: Help needed with home Wifi

    Noel S Pamfree wrote:
    > We have two desktops and a laptop at home. The two desktops (one XP the
    > other Vista) are hard-wired into a Netgear DG834 v2 router/modem. On
    > occasions we need to connect the laptop to the Internet and turn on our
    > Belkin Wireless G Router (802.11g) by plugging it into the Netgear Router.
    > It all works fine.
    >
    > The problem is there is no WEP or WPA key to protect us from anyone in the
    > vicinity of our house from using the connection. The CD that came with the
    > Belkin isn't any use as it expects you to just use a modem with it.
    >
    > Can anyone tell me how I could configure the Wireless router with some sort
    > of protection - I know WEP is not that secure but any security will be
    > better than none!
    >
    > Many thanks,
    >
    > Noel

    A model number for your Belkin router would have been nice.

    In addition to the "Wizard" on the CD that came with the router, there
    should be a pdf User Manual. Read the section on "Web-Based Advanced
    User Interface" under "Alternate Setup Method."

    Although you need to do more in order to correctly configure your router
    so that you could share files and printers between the laptop and the
    other computers, in order to do just what you asked:

    1. Connect an Ethernet cable between one of the Belkin's 4 blue "wired
    computer" ports and any one of your computers.

    2. Open a browser (IE, Firefox) on that computer and enter 192.168.2.1
    in the address location. You should see the router's home page. Leave
    the password blank and click submit.

    3. Click on the link for the wireless settings. I suggest setting a
    unique SSID as well as enabling WPA (or WPA2 if available and your
    laptop supports it) encryption (you want PSK and AES, if offered choices).

    After you're done, you can disconnect the Ethernet cable. You only need
    to connect to the router that way while configuring it.

    --
    Lem -- MS-MVP - Networking

    To the moon and back with 4KB of RAM and 72KB of ROM.

  4. Re: Help needed with home Wifi

    Thanks - worked Great!

    "Lem" wrote in message
    > Noel S Pamfree wrote:
    >> We have two desktops and a laptop at home. The two desktops (one XP the
    >> other Vista) are hard-wired into a Netgear DG834 v2 router/modem. On
    >> occasions we need to connect the laptop to the Internet and turn on our
    >> Belkin Wireless G Router (802.11g) by plugging it into the Netgear
    >> Router. It all works fine.
    >>
    >> The problem is there is no WEP or WPA key to protect us from anyone in
    >> the vicinity of our house from using the connection. The CD that came
    >> with the Belkin isn't any use as it expects you to just use a modem with
    >> it.
    >>
    >> Can anyone tell me how I could configure the Wireless router with some
    >> sort of protection - I know WEP is not that secure but any security will
    >> be better than none!
    >>
    >> Many thanks,
    >>
    >> Noel

    > A model number for your Belkin router would have been nice.
    >
    > In addition to the "Wizard" on the CD that came with the router, there
    > should be a pdf User Manual. Read the section on "Web-Based Advanced User
    > Interface" under "Alternate Setup Method."
    >
    > Although you need to do more in order to correctly configure your router
    > so that you could share files and printers between the laptop and the
    > other computers, in order to do just what you asked:
    >
    > 1. Connect an Ethernet cable between one of the Belkin's 4 blue "wired
    > computer" ports and any one of your computers.
    >
    > 2. Open a browser (IE, Firefox) on that computer and enter 192.168.2.1 in
    > the address location. You should see the router's home page. Leave the
    > password blank and click submit.
    >
    > 3. Click on the link for the wireless settings. I suggest setting a
    > unique SSID as well as enabling WPA (or WPA2 if available and your laptop
    > supports it) encryption (you want PSK and AES, if offered choices).
    >
    > After you're done, you can disconnect the Ethernet cable. You only need
    > to connect to the router that way while configuring it.
    >
    > --
    > Lem -- MS-MVP - Networking
    >
    > To the moon and back with 4KB of RAM and 72KB of ROM.

  5. Re: Help needed with home Wifi

    Noel S Pamfree wrote:
    > Thanks - worked Great!
    >

    > "Lem" wrote in message
    >> Noel S Pamfree wrote:
    >>> We have two desktops and a laptop at home. The two desktops (one XP the
    >>> other Vista) are hard-wired into a Netgear DG834 v2 router/modem. On
    >>> occasions we need to connect the laptop to the Internet and turn on our
    >>> Belkin Wireless G Router (802.11g) by plugging it into the Netgear
    >>> Router. It all works fine.
    >>>
    >>> The problem is there is no WEP or WPA key to protect us from anyone in
    >>> the vicinity of our house from using the connection. The CD that came
    >>> with the Belkin isn't any use as it expects you to just use a modem with
    >>> it.
    >>>
    >>> Can anyone tell me how I could configure the Wireless router with some
    >>> sort of protection - I know WEP is not that secure but any security will
    >>> be better than none!
    >>>
    >>> Many thanks,
    >>>
    >>> Noel

    >> A model number for your Belkin router would have been nice.
    >>
    >> In addition to the "Wizard" on the CD that came with the router, there
    >> should be a pdf User Manual. Read the section on "Web-Based Advanced User
    >> Interface" under "Alternate Setup Method."
    >>
    >> Although you need to do more in order to correctly configure your router
    >> so that you could share files and printers between the laptop and the
    >> other computers, in order to do just what you asked:
    >>
    >> 1. Connect an Ethernet cable between one of the Belkin's 4 blue "wired
    >> computer" ports and any one of your computers.
    >>
    >> 2. Open a browser (IE, Firefox) on that computer and enter 192.168.2.1 in
    >> the address location. You should see the router's home page. Leave the
    >> password blank and click submit.
    >>
    >> 3. Click on the link for the wireless settings. I suggest setting a
    >> unique SSID as well as enabling WPA (or WPA2 if available and your laptop
    >> supports it) encryption (you want PSK and AES, if offered choices).
    >>
    >> After you're done, you can disconnect the Ethernet cable. You only need
    >> to connect to the router that way while configuring it.
    >>
    >> --
    >> Lem -- MS-MVP - Networking
    >>
    >> To the moon and back with 4KB of RAM and 72KB of ROM.
    >> http://history.nasa.gov/afj/compessay.htm

    Glad it worked.