Will Wireless G Card Improve Wireless B (2004) Connectivity? - Wireless

This is a discussion on Will Wireless G Card Improve Wireless B (2004) Connectivity? - Wireless ; I'm connecting at very low speeds to a neighbor's secured wireless while I am away from home. I have wireless B in my Thinkpad R40 (circa 2004). He told me to buy a wireless g card, which I just did, ...

  1. Will Wireless G Card Improve Wireless B (2004) Connectivity?

    I'm connecting at very low speeds to a neighbor's secured wireless
    while I am away from home. I have wireless B in my Thinkpad R40
    (circa 2004). He told me to buy a wireless g card, which I just did,
    but before breaking the cellophane and being unable to get a full
    refund, I want to check out the salesman's warning: "The connection is
    only as strong as the weakest link in the wireless chain, and if his
    (neighbor's) router is the problem, then the wireless g card will do
    you no good."

    Thanks.

  2. Re: Will Wireless G Card Improve Wireless B (2004) Connectivity?

    If your friend's wireless device is G,...then a G in the laptop is faster
    and should still work with a B wireless device if that is what you have at
    home.

    If you friend's wireless device is a B,...then I think you have to use a B
    adapter.

    G is faster than B

    G is backward compatible with the slower B

    I do not think B is "forward" compatible with G so all the G stuff has to
    "talk B" when it communicates with a B device

    Since only one device can "talk" at the same time with wireless,....and
    since it takes longer for B to "talk",...and everyone has to wait for B to
    finish what it is "saying",...B slows down the whole Wireless LAN.

    So make everything G and be done with it.

    Do not by any N equipment until the actual N Standard has been finally
    ratified.

    --
    Phillip Windell
    www.wandtv.com

    wrote in message
    news:1193084314.066599.166320@y27g2000pre.googlegr oups.com...
    > I'm connecting at very low speeds to a neighbor's secured wireless
    > while I am away from home. I have wireless B in my Thinkpad R40
    > (circa 2004). He told me to buy a wireless g card, which I just did,
    > but before breaking the cellophane and being unable to get a full
    > refund, I want to check out the salesman's warning: "The connection is
    > only as strong as the weakest link in the wireless chain, and if his
    > (neighbor's) router is the problem, then the wireless g card will do
    > you no good."
    >
    > Thanks.

  3. Re: Will Wireless G Card Improve Wireless B (2004) Connectivity?

    "Phillip Windell" wrote in message

    > If you friend's wireless device is a B,...then I think you have to use a B
    > adapter.

    Scratch that comment. You can keep a G in the Laptop, but it will only run
    at B speed when communicating with a B device.

    Bottom line,... buy the G, leave it in the Laptop. It will work in both B &
    G situations but will run faster when it is doing G-to-G. There is no
    reason to leave a B in anything.

    --
    Phillip Windell
    www.wandtv.com

  4. Re: Will Wireless G Card Improve Wireless B (2004) Connectivity?

    As long as it is a "G" router. The best performance would be in "G"
    only mode since mixed b/g mode has to "stop and wait" for B traffic.

    --

    Barb Bowman
    MS Windows-MVP

  5. Re: Will Wireless G Card Improve Wireless B (2004) Connectivity?

    Hi
    The fact that you are using 802.11b might indicate that the connection is
    Not secured or it secured on WEP Level.
    If it is so, you are using as your main Internet service a connection that
    can be "sniffed" and your personal information can be easily Deciphered.
    Not a Good Idea.
    Upgrade to 802.115g and discuss with your friend using WPA Security.
    Jack (MVP-Networking).

    wrote in message
    news:1193084314.066599.166320@y27g2000pre.googlegr oups.com...
    > I'm connecting at very low speeds to a neighbor's secured wireless
    > while I am away from home. I have wireless B in my Thinkpad R40
    > (circa 2004). He told me to buy a wireless g card, which I just did,
    > but before breaking the cellophane and being unable to get a full
    > refund, I want to check out the salesman's warning: "The connection is
    > only as strong as the weakest link in the wireless chain, and if his
    > (neighbor's) router is the problem, then the wireless g card will do
    > you no good."
    >
    > Thanks.

  6. Re: Will Wireless G Card Improve Wireless B (2004) Connectivity?

    Thanks to all this group for good advice, information, and support.

+ Reply to Thread