Laptop (w/ Vista) wirelessly Backup to external HD on Desktop (w/ - Wireless

This is a discussion on Laptop (w/ Vista) wirelessly Backup to external HD on Desktop (w/ - Wireless ; I'm trying to configure my laptop to back up to my external drive I have connected to my desktop PC. I have a functioning wireless network, I am running Vista on the Laptop and XP on the desktop. After I ...

  1. Laptop (w/ Vista) wirelessly Backup to external HD on Desktop (w/

    I'm trying to configure my laptop to back up to my external drive I have
    connected to my desktop PC. I have a functioning wireless network, I am
    running Vista on the Laptop and XP on the desktop.

    After I choose the shared folder to backup to I am asked for a User Name and
    password to access the shared folder. I haven't set up any passwords on the
    desktop, what user name and password is it asking for?

  2. Re: Laptop (w/ Vista) wirelessly Backup to external HD on Desktop (w/

    Hi
    You need first to set the File Sharing system.

    http://www.ezlan.net/sharing.html

    allowed to be shared.
    Vista File and Printer Sharing-
    Basic XP -
    Printer Sharing XP -
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/875357
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/922120
    Jack (MVP-Networking).

    "Justin" wrote in message
    > I'm trying to configure my laptop to back up to my external drive I have
    > connected to my desktop PC. I have a functioning wireless network, I am
    > running Vista on the Laptop and XP on the desktop.
    >
    > After I choose the shared folder to backup to I am asked for a User Name
    > and
    > password to access the shared folder. I haven't set up any passwords on
    > the
    > desktop, what user name and password is it asking for?

+ Reply to Thread