Wireless not connecting - Wireless

This is a discussion on Wireless not connecting - Wireless ; I am trying to set up a friends network using a Netgear wrieless router and an old gateway laptop and a desktop that has a wireless Linksys NIC card installed. The main desktop connects to the router and modem and ...

  1. Wireless not connecting

    I am trying to set up a friends network using a Netgear wrieless router and
    an old gateway laptop and a desktop that has a wireless Linksys NIC card
    installed. The main desktop connects to the router and modem and can surf
    the web. The laptop and second desktop both search for the wireless signal
    and it takes forever. Then they either generate a useless error message
    like, "Windows cannot configure this wireless connection", or they 'connect'
    but show "little or no signal strength." I have gotten each of them to
    momentarily connect to the home network and show the other computers in My
    Network Places, but clicking on them shows the error message about "you may
    not have access to these items, contact your network admin". Interestingly,
    I have brought her laptop to my house and it connects to my network quite
    easily, which tells me the difference is the router, but I set up the router
    using it's included setup disk and it went quite smoothly. I don't know what
    to check. Can anyone help me?
    Many thanx,
    Rip

  2. Re: Wireless not connecting

    Hi
    It is probably a misconfiguration of the Wireless.
    Read these pages and go over the setting you probably would find the
    troublesome spot.
    Jack (MVP-Networking).

    "RipperT" wrote in message
    >I am trying to set up a friends network using a Netgear wrieless router and
    >an old gateway laptop and a desktop that has a wireless Linksys NIC card
    >installed. The main desktop connects to the router and modem and can surf
    >the web. The laptop and second desktop both search for the wireless signal
    >and it takes forever. Then they either generate a useless error message
    >like, "Windows cannot configure this wireless connection", or they
    >'connect' but show "little or no signal strength." I have gotten each of
    >them to momentarily connect to the home network and show the other
    >computers in My Network Places, but clicking on them shows the error
    >message about "you may not have access to these items, contact your network
    >admin". Interestingly, I have brought her laptop to my house and it
    >connects to my network quite easily, which tells me the difference is the
    >router, but I set up the router using it's included setup disk and it went
    >quite smoothly. I don't know what to check. Can anyone help me?
    > Many thanx,
    > Rip

  3. Re: Wireless not connecting

    Is there anywhere on this site that further explains some of the steps? I've
    performed all of them except setting the system channel, turning on the MAC
    filter, setting the DHCP and disabling Auto broadcast. I don't know how to
    do these and the site doesn't explain how.
    Thanx,
    Rip

    > Hi
    > It is probably a misconfiguration of the Wireless.
    > Read these pages and go over the setting you probably would find the
    > troublesome spot.
    > My Wireless does not work - http://www.ezlan.net/wireless.html
    > Wireless Basic Configuration - http://www.ezlan.net/Wireless_Config.html
    > Jack (MVP-Networking).
    >
    > "RipperT" wrote in message
    >>I am trying to set up a friends network using a Netgear wrieless router
    >>and an old gateway laptop and a desktop that has a wireless Linksys NIC
    >>card installed. The main desktop connects to the router and modem and can
    >>surf the web. The laptop and second desktop both search for the wireless
    >>signal and it takes forever. Then they either generate a useless error
    >>message like, "Windows cannot configure this wireless connection", or they
    >>'connect' but show "little or no signal strength." I have gotten each of
    >>them to momentarily connect to the home network and show the other
    >>computers in My Network Places, but clicking on them shows the error
    >>message about "you may not have access to these items, contact your
    >>network admin". Interestingly, I have brought her laptop to my house and
    >>it connects to my network quite easily, which tells me the difference is
    >>the router, but I set up the router using it's included setup disk and it
    >>went quite smoothly. I don't know what to check. Can anyone help me?
    >> Many thanx,
    >> Rip

  4. Re: Wireless not connecting

    Hi
    It is Not possible to provide such a service on an entry level site that try
    to help every one.
    Each Wireless Router/AP has it own way and menu structure to set these
    configuration.
    Consult you device manual. If you have only a short guide log to the support
    page of your Device and download the extensive manual.
    http://kbserver.netgear.com/downloads_support.asp
    Jack (MVP-Networking).

    On
    "RipperT @nOsPaM.nEt>" < wrote in message
    > Is there anywhere on this site that further explains some of the steps?
    > I've performed all of them except setting the system channel, turning on
    > the MAC filter, setting the DHCP and disabling Auto broadcast. I don't
    > know how to do these and the site doesn't explain how.
    > Thanx,
    > Rip
    >
    > "Jack (MVP-Networking)." wrote in message
    >> Hi
    >> It is probably a misconfiguration of the Wireless.
    >> Read these pages and go over the setting you probably would find the
    >> troublesome spot.
    >> My Wireless does not work - http://www.ezlan.net/wireless.html
    >> Wireless Basic Configuration - http://www.ezlan.net/Wireless_Config.html
    >> Wireless Security - http://www.ezlan.net/Wireless_Security.html
    >> Jack (MVP-Networking).
    >>
    >> "RipperT" wrote in message
    >>>I am trying to set up a friends network using a Netgear wrieless router
    >>>and an old gateway laptop and a desktop that has a wireless Linksys NIC
    >>>card installed. The main desktop connects to the router and modem and can
    >>>surf the web. The laptop and second desktop both search for the wireless
    >>>signal and it takes forever. Then they either generate a useless error
    >>>message like, "Windows cannot configure this wireless connection", or
    >>>they 'connect' but show "little or no signal strength." I have gotten
    >>>each of them to momentarily connect to the home network and show the
    >>>other computers in My Network Places, but clicking on them shows the
    >>>error message about "you may not have access to these items, contact your
    >>>network admin". Interestingly, I have brought her laptop to my house and
    >>>it connects to my network quite easily, which tells me the difference is
    >>>the router, but I set up the router using it's included setup disk and it
    >>>went quite smoothly. I don't know what to check. Can anyone help me?
    >>> Many thanx,
    >>> Rip

  5. Re: Wireless not connecting

    "RipperT" wrote in message
    >I am trying to set up a friends network using a Netgear wrieless router and
    >an old gateway laptop and a desktop that has a wireless Linksys NIC card
    >installed. The main desktop connects to the router and modem and can surf
    >the web. The laptop and second desktop both search for the wireless signal
    >and it takes forever. Then they either generate a useless error message
    >like, "Windows cannot configure this wireless connection", or they
    >'connect' but show "little or no signal strength." I have gotten each of
    >them to momentarily connect to the home network and show the other
    >computers in My Network Places, but clicking on them shows the error
    >message about "you may not have access to these items, contact your network
    >admin". Interestingly, I have brought her laptop to my house and it
    >connects to my network quite easily, which tells me the difference is the
    >router, but I set up the router using it's included setup disk and it went
    >quite smoothly. I don't know what to check. Can anyone help me?
    > Many thanx,
    > Rip

    No, your experience tends to indicate that the laptop is outside the range
    of the router when it is located in your house.
    Wireless can get cranky at times. Until you get a strong signal at the
    laptop, you have little chance of getting the network
    operational.

    Follow Jack's website for the software side. Also, you really really really
    need the manual for the router.
    Jim

  6. Re: Wireless not connecting

    I have followed the instructions on these pages (except for security) to the
    letter. The computer simply refuses to find the routers signal. I have two
    other laptops connected wirelessly to this network and they work fine. I
    have alternated between the WZC utility and the one that came with the DLink
    card. Neither will find the signal. This machine is within feet of the
    router, so distance is not the issue. This whole thing is wierd because this
    connection worked when I first installed the card. I even started a
    download, then it just quit. I have since disabled all firewalls, anti
    viruses, and removed security and it just won't fly. I don't know what else
    to check. Can you direct me to another resource?
    Thanks again,
    Rip

    > Hi
    > It is Not possible to provide such a service on an entry level site that
    > try to help every one.
    > Each Wireless Router/AP has it own way and menu structure to set these
    > configuration.
    > Consult you device manual. If you have only a short guide log to the
    > support page of your Device and download the extensive manual.
    > http://kbserver.netgear.com/downloads_support.asp
    > Jack (MVP-Networking).
    >
    > On
    > "RipperT @nOsPaM.nEt>" < wrote in message
    >> Is there anywhere on this site that further explains some of the steps?
    >> I've performed all of them except setting the system channel, turning on
    >> the MAC filter, setting the DHCP and disabling Auto broadcast. I don't
    >> know how to do these and the site doesn't explain how.
    >> Thanx,
    >> Rip
    >>
    >> "Jack (MVP-Networking)." wrote in message
    >>> Hi
    >>> It is probably a misconfiguration of the Wireless.
    >>> Read these pages and go over the setting you probably would find the
    >>> troublesome spot.
    >>> My Wireless does not work - http://www.ezlan.net/wireless.html
    >>> Wireless Basic Configuration - http://www.ezlan.net/Wireless_Config.html
    >>> Wireless Security - http://www.ezlan.net/Wireless_Security.html
    >>> Jack (MVP-Networking).
    >>>
    >>> "RipperT" wrote in message

  7. Re: Wireless not connecting

    >I have followed the instructions on these pages (except for security) to
    >the letter. The computer simply refuses to find the routers signal. I have
    >two other laptops connected wirelessly to this network and they work fine.
    >I have alternated between the WZC utility and the one that came with the
    >DLink card. Neither will find the signal. This machine is within feet of
    >the router, so distance is not the issue. This whole thing is wierd because
    >this connection worked when I first installed the card. I even started a
    >download, then it just quit. I have since disabled all firewalls, anti
    >viruses, and removed security and it just won't fly. I don't know what
    >else to check. Can you direct me to another resource?
    > Thanks again,
    > Rip
    >
    > "Jack (MVP-Networking)." wrote in message
    >> Hi
    >> It is Not possible to provide such a service on an entry level site that
    >> try to help every one.
    >> Each Wireless Router/AP has it own way and menu structure to set these
    >> configuration.
    >> Consult you device manual. If you have only a short guide log to the
    >> support page of your Device and download the extensive manual.
    >> http://kbserver.netgear.com/downloads_support.asp
    >> Jack (MVP-Networking).
    >>
    >> On
    >> "RipperT @nOsPaM.nEt>" < wrote in message
    >>> Is there anywhere on this site that further explains some of the steps?
    >>> I've performed all of them except setting the system channel, turning on
    >>> the MAC filter, setting the DHCP and disabling Auto broadcast. I don't
    >>> know how to do these and the site doesn't explain how.
    >>> Thanx,
    >>> Rip
    >>>
    >>> "Jack (MVP-Networking)." wrote in message

    You have a problem with signal strength. Until you get a strong signal at
    your laptop, quit working on the setup of the software becaise doing so will
    not solve your signal strength problem.
    You need to try adjusting the position of the antennas on the router. They
    need to be aligned with the orientation of the antenna in the NIC for best
    performance close up. In fact, it has
    happened that no signal could be found close up, but the signal was good at
    some distance. If the poor signal remains at some distance, a signal
    booster may help.

    Jim

  8. Re: Wireless not connecting

    "RipperT @nOsPaM.nEt>" < wrote in message
    >I have followed the instructions on these pages (except for security) to
    >the letter. The computer simply refuses to find the routers signal. I have
    >two other laptops connected wirelessly to this network and they work fine.
    >I have alternated between the WZC utility and the one that came with the
    >DLink card. Neither will find the signal. This machine is within feet of
    >the router, so distance is not the issue. This whole thing is wierd because
    >this connection worked when I first installed the card. I even started a
    >download, then it just quit. I have since disabled all firewalls, anti
    >viruses, and removed security and it just won't fly. I don't know what
    >else to check. Can you direct me to another resource?
    > Thanks again,
    > Rip

    Make sure that you didn't accidentally turn the radio off.
    Check the software that came with the card.

  9. Re: Wireless not connecting

    I put the card in another machine and it works great. I guess the card and
    computer just 'disagree'. Thanks for your help everyone.

    Rip

    "Jim" wrote in message
    news:%LoTi.36572$eY.21336@newssvr13.news.prodigy.n et...

    > "RipperT @nOsPaM.nEt>" < wrote in message
    >>I have followed the instructions on these pages (except for security) to
    >>the letter. The computer simply refuses to find the routers signal. I have
    >>two other laptops connected wirelessly to this network and they work fine.
    >>I have alternated between the WZC utility and the one that came with the
    >>DLink card. Neither will find the signal. This machine is within feet of
    >>the router, so distance is not the issue. This whole thing is wierd
    >>because this connection worked when I first installed the card. I even
    >>started a download, then it just quit. I have since disabled all
    >>firewalls, anti viruses, and removed security and it just won't fly. I
    >>don't know what else to check. Can you direct me to another resource?
    >> Thanks again,
    >> Rip
    >>
    >> "Jack (MVP-Networking)." wrote in message
    >>> Hi
    >>> It is Not possible to provide such a service on an entry level site that
    >>> try to help every one.
    >>> Each Wireless Router/AP has it own way and menu structure to set these
    >>> configuration.
    >>> Consult you device manual. If you have only a short guide log to the
    >>> support page of your Device and download the extensive manual.
    >>> http://kbserver.netgear.com/downloads_support.asp
    >>> Jack (MVP-Networking).
    >>>
    >>> On
    >>> "RipperT @nOsPaM.nEt>" < wrote in message

    > You have a problem with signal strength. Until you get a strong signal at
    > your laptop, quit working on the setup of the software becaise doing so
    > will not solve your signal strength problem.
    > You need to try adjusting the position of the antennas on the router.
    > They need to be aligned with the orientation of the antenna in the NIC for
    > best performance close up. In fact, it has
    > happened that no signal could be found close up, but the signal was good
    > at some distance. If the poor signal remains at some distance, a signal
    > booster may help.
    >
    > Jim

+ Reply to Thread