DHCP SuperScope & Wireless clients - Wireless

This is a discussion on DHCP SuperScope & Wireless clients - Wireless ; Hi, Running into the following issue and was wondering if anyone has seen it... Windows 2003 DHCP server configured with SuperScope for multiple subnets... Several Wireless Access points on different subnets, all wireless enabled laptops are running XP SP2. When ...

  1. DHCP SuperScope & Wireless clients

    Hi,

    Running into the following issue and was wondering if anyone has seen it...

    Windows 2003 DHCP server configured with SuperScope for multiple subnets...

    Several Wireless Access points on different subnets, all wireless enabled
    laptops are running XP SP2.

    When a user connected to a wireless access point in 1 subnet and receives a
    DHCP IP, then if that user were just to go to another part of the building
    that has another Wireless access point on a different subnet, the user's
    DHCP IP address gets renewed, and get the same IP on previous subnet, so
    communication fails, because the 2nd access point is on another subnet...

    Was wondering if there is a way to get around this, or have the IP lease
    expire when user changes access point. Please keep in mind that a GPO with a
    logoff or shutdown script with an IPconfig /release will not work, because
    most of the time users are not shutting down or logging off when moving from
    1 meeting room to next...

    Thanks for your help !!!

    --

  2. Re: DHCP SuperScope & Wireless clients

    "Thinkpad21" wrote in message
    > Hi,
    >
    > Running into the following issue and was wondering if anyone has seen
    > it...
    >
    > Windows 2003 DHCP server configured with SuperScope for multiple
    > subnets...

    You don't do that. That is not what SuperScopes are for.

    Superscopes create a Multi-Net with multiple IP Segments running over the
    same physcial wire when a VLAN is *not* being used.

    Move the Scopes out of the Suprescope and run them as separate distinct
    scopes.
    Configure the LAN Router to do the DHCP Relaying for the Clients.

    --
    Phillip Windell
    www.wandtv.com