wrieless networking Vista Home Version accessing Windows XP Secure wrireless Connection - Wireless

This is a discussion on wrieless networking Vista Home Version accessing Windows XP Secure wrireless Connection - Wireless ; Hi I'm have a Gateway MT6705 running Windows Vista Home version. I can't connect to my office's secure wireless Windows XP network. It sees the network but can't connect. Has anyone else run into the same problem? Supposedly it should ...

  1. wrieless networking Vista Home Version accessing Windows XP Secure wrireless Connection

    Hi I'm have a Gateway MT6705 running Windows Vista Home version. I
    can't connect to my office's secure wireless Windows XP network. It
    sees the network but can't connect. Has anyone else run into the same
    problem? Supposedly it should try to connect and then ask the user
    for the password, ie, no prior need to give the network the MAC
    address on of the card. It should give this info to the network when
    it connects. I called Gateway and they said for some reason Vista is
    not backwards compatible with XP in this matter. Is this true? Any
    input would be appreciated.

  2. Re: wrieless networking Vista Home Version accessing Windows XP Secure wrireless Connection-Additional info

    Note: I can connect through the Eithernet Port so wired communication
    is possible.

  3. Re: wrieless networking Vista Home Version accessing Windows XP Secure wrireless Connection

    need details.

    what wireless card, what driver?
    do you get an IP?
    do you have Norton or McAfee or a firewall blocking things?
    what kind of security are they using?
    what router?

    please post the text output of ipconfig /all from an elevated
    command prompt when in the failed state?

    --

    Barb Bowman
    MS Windows-MVP

  4. Re: wrieless networking Vista Home Version accessing Windows XP Secure wrireless Connection

    On Fri, 19 Oct 2007 06:49:35 GMT, nmp wrote:

    >Hi I'm have a Gateway MT6705 running Windows Vista Home version. I
    >can't connect to my office's secure wireless Windows XP network. It
    >sees the network but can't connect. Has anyone else run into the same
    >problem? Supposedly it should try to connect and then ask the user
    >for the password, ie, no prior need to give the network the MAC
    >address on of the card. It should give this info to the network when
    >it connects. I called Gateway and they said for some reason Vista is
    >not backwards compatible with XP in this matter. Is this true? Any
    >input would be appreciated.

    There are 3 connectivity issues with Vista that may be relevant to your problem.
    # DHCP Broadcast.
    # APIPA Timing.
    # RWin Tuning (Windows Scaling).

    http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/2006/1...l#Connectivity

    As Barbara indicates, posting a log from "ipconfig /all", run in a command
    window as administrator, will help us decide where to look next.

    http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/2007/0...ows-vista.html

    --
    Cheers,
    http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/

  5. Re: wrieless networking Vista Home Version accessing Windows XP Secure wrireless Connection

    Hi
    If you can No connect to the Wireless source it might Not be related to
    having XP or other OS on the Network.
    Some Wireless Routers are Not working well with Vista (check the support
    site of your Wireless Router/AP).
    If the Wireless source is compatible with Vista, it is probably security
    miss configuration.
    Try first the disable the security in the Wireless source and see if it
    would connect.
    Jack (MVP-Networking).

    "nmp" wrote in message
    > Hi I'm have a Gateway MT6705 running Windows Vista Home version. I
    > can't connect to my office's secure wireless Windows XP network. It
    > sees the network but can't connect. Has anyone else run into the same
    > problem? Supposedly it should try to connect and then ask the user
    > for the password, ie, no prior need to give the network the MAC
    > address on of the card. It should give this info to the network when
    > it connects. I called Gateway and they said for some reason Vista is
    > not backwards compatible with XP in this matter. Is this true? Any
    > input would be appreciated.

+ Reply to Thread