Wireless network setup - Wireless

This is a discussion on Wireless network setup - Wireless ; I have two computers that are on a wireless network. Computer A is connected to a printer through a USB cable. Computer B is on the same wireless network as computer A. How can I use the printer on Computer ...

  1. Wireless network setup

    I have two computers that are on a wireless network. Computer A is connected
    to a printer through a USB cable. Computer B is on the same wireless network
    as computer A. How can I use the printer on Computer A from Computer B using
    the wireless network?

    Is there a good website that walks you through the setup of this type of
    network.

    thanks for all your help
    --
    Mark

  2. RE: Wireless network setup

    Go into Control panel/ Printers and Other Hardware/ Printers and Faxes/ and
    in Printers and Faxes under Printer Tasks select add a new printer, then
    floow the instrutions of the Printer Wizard

    Hope this helps
    --
    JohnD76

    "Mark" wrote:

    > I have two computers that are on a wireless network. Computer A is connected
    > to a printer through a USB cable. Computer B is on the same wireless network
    > as computer A. How can I use the printer on Computer A from Computer B using
    > the wireless network?
    >
    > Is there a good website that walks you through the setup of this type of
    > network.
    >
    > thanks for all your help
    > --
    > Mark

  3. Re: Wireless network setup

    Make sure your printer preference is in the "share" mode, in computer where
    printer is hard wired.
    Make sure printer drivers are on both printers.

    Make sure your firewall is turned off in the initial setup/ share stage.

    Firewall may prevent your system from finding the networked computers with
    files and printer to share.

    If your homework is correct the setup takes a few minutes in XP SP2 home.

    Best wishes,
    Robert

    "Mark" wrote in message
    >I have two computers that are on a wireless network. Computer A is
    >connected
    > to a printer through a USB cable. Computer B is on the same wireless
    > network
    > as computer A. How can I use the printer on Computer A from Computer B
    > using
    > the wireless network?
    >
    > Is there a good website that walks you through the setup of this type of
    > network.
    >
    > thanks for all your help
    > --
    > Mark

  4. Re: Wireless network setup

    Hi
    http://www.ezlan.net/sharing.html
    allowed to be shared.
    Vista File and Printer Sharing-
    Basic XP -
    Printer Sharing XP -
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/875357
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/922120
    Jack (MVP-Networking).

    "Mark" wrote in message
    >I have two computers that are on a wireless network. Computer A is
    >connected
    > to a printer through a USB cable. Computer B is on the same wireless
    > network
    > as computer A. How can I use the printer on Computer A from Computer B
    > using
    > the wireless network?
    >
    > Is there a good website that walks you through the setup of this type of
    > network.
    >
    > thanks for all your help
    > --
    > Mark

  5. RE: Wireless network setup

    I went into control panel/printer and added a new printer, and then did a
    browse for network printers and it found nothing. I disabled my NORTONS on
    each computer, but it doesn't find any printers. I am using XP PRO, and
    thought it would be a tad easier, but it is likely my firewall and NORTON
    security center doing me in.
    --
    Mark

    "John" wrote:

    > Go into Control panel/ Printers and Other Hardware/ Printers and Faxes/ and
    > in Printers and Faxes under Printer Tasks select add a new printer, then
    > floow the instrutions of the Printer Wizard
    >
    > Hope this helps
    > --
    > JohnD76
    >

    > "Mark" wrote:
    >
    > > I have two computers that are on a wireless network. Computer A is connected
    > > to a printer through a USB cable. Computer B is on the same wireless network
    > > as computer A. How can I use the printer on Computer A from Computer B using
    > > the wireless network?
    > >
    > > Is there a good website that walks you through the setup of this type of
    > > network.
    > >
    > > thanks for all your help
    > > --
    > > Mark

  6. Re: Wireless network setup

    i do think i have a firewall issue, because when i browse the network for a
    printer, i can't find a thing. i have disabled norton, but i still can't see
    a my printer hanging on my other computer. Yep, set the printer to be shared.
    --
    Mark

    "Robert J. Lafayette" wrote:

    > Make sure your printer preference is in the "share" mode, in computer where
    > printer is hard wired.
    > Make sure printer drivers are on both printers.
    >
    > Make sure your firewall is turned off in the initial setup/ share stage.
    >
    > Firewall may prevent your system from finding the networked computers with
    > files and printer to share.
    >
    > If your homework is correct the setup takes a few minutes in XP SP2 home.
    >
    > Best wishes,
    > Robert
    >

    > "Mark" wrote in message
    > >I have two computers that are on a wireless network. Computer A is
    > >connected
    > > to a printer through a USB cable. Computer B is on the same wireless
    > > network
    > > as computer A. How can I use the printer on Computer A from Computer B
    > > using
    > > the wireless network?
    > >
    > > Is there a good website that walks you through the setup of this type of
    > > network.
    > >
    > > thanks for all your help
    > > --
    > > Mark

  7. Re: Wireless network setup

    i will look through these and try to find the one that deals with setting up
    print sharing on an XP PRO network that uses a wireless router as it's
    connection point. thanks!
    --
    Mark

    "Jack (MVP-Networking)." wrote:

    > Hi
    > http://www.ezlan.net/sharing.html
    > allowed to be shared.
    > Vista File and Printer Sharing-
    > Basic XP -
    > http://www.microsoft.com/technet/pro...lesharing.mspx
    > Advanced XP - http://support.microsoft.com/default...b;en-us;304040
    > Printer Sharing XP -
    > http://support.microsoft.com/kb/875357
    > http://support.microsoft.com/kb/922120
    > Jack (MVP-Networking).
    >

    > "Mark" wrote in message
    > >I have two computers that are on a wireless network. Computer A is
    > >connected
    > > to a printer through a USB cable. Computer B is on the same wireless
    > > network
    > > as computer A. How can I use the printer on Computer A from Computer B
    > > using
    > > the wireless network?
    > >
    > > Is there a good website that walks you through the setup of this type of
    > > network.
    > >
    > > thanks for all your help
    > > --
    > > Mark

  8. Re: Wireless network setup

    On Oct 19, 5:16 pm, Mark wrote:
    > i do think i have a firewall issue, because when i browse the network for a
    > printer, i can't find a thing. i have disabled norton, but i still can't see
    > a my printer hanging on my other computer. Yep, set the printer to be shared.
    > --
    > Mark
    >
    > "Robert J. Lafayette" wrote:
    > > Make sure your printer preference is in the "share" mode, in computer where
    > > printer is hard wired.
    > > Make sure printer drivers are on both printers.

    > > Make sure your firewall is turned off in the initial setup/ share stage.

    > > Firewall may prevent your system from finding the networked computers with
    > > files and printer to share.

    > > If your homework is correct the setup takes a few minutes in XP SP2 home.

    > > Best wishes,
    > > Robert

    > > "Mark" wrote in message
    > > >I have two computers that are on a wireless network. Computer A is
    > > >connected
    > > > to a printer through a USB cable. Computer B is on the same wireless
    > > > network
    > > > as computer A. How can I use the printer on Computer A from Computer B
    > > > using
    > > > the wireless network?

    > > > Is there a good website that walks you through the setup of this type of
    > > > network.

    > > > thanks for all your help
    > > > --
    > > > Mark

    in the add printer wizard, after selecting the option to connect to a
    printer attached to another computer, can you type in the UNC path?

    e.g. \\server_sharing_printer_name\printer_name

    also,

    are the computers on the same workgroup?
    does the computer sharing the printer show up when you browse through
    'My Network Places'? how about its printer?

  9. Re: Wireless network setup

    I have the exact same setup and all I did was to set the printer on the PC
    it is physically connected to to be shared -- go into Control panel/printers
    and properties and set to share. I added that printer to my other PC and
    made it the default printer. It all works fine as long as both PC are on
    together with the printer.

    "Mark" wrote in message
    > I have two computers that are on a wireless network. Computer A is
    > connected
    > to a printer through a USB cable. Computer B is on the same wireless
    > network
    > as computer A. How can I use the printer on Computer A from Computer B
    > using
    > the wireless network?
    >
    > Is there a good website that walks you through the setup of this type of
    > network.
    >
    > thanks for all your help
    > --
    > Mark

  10. Re: Wireless network setup

    No, it doesn't show up on My Network Places, which means I probably don't
    have it identified as a server. I thought I had done that going through the
    Network Setup Wizard, but it looks like it didn't take for some reason, as
    there is nothing on My Network Places. I tried the network setup on a
    machine, so i must be doing something wrong there.
    --
    Mark

    "zuben" wrote:

    > On Oct 19, 5:16 pm, Mark wrote:
    > > i do think i have a firewall issue, because when i browse the network for a
    > > printer, i can't find a thing. i have disabled norton, but i still can't see
    > > a my printer hanging on my other computer. Yep, set the printer to be shared.
    > > --
    > > Mark
    > >
    > > "Robert J. Lafayette" wrote:
    > > > Make sure your printer preference is in the "share" mode, in computer where
    > > > printer is hard wired.
    > > > Make sure printer drivers are on both printers.

    > > > Make sure your firewall is turned off in the initial setup/ share stage.

    > > > Firewall may prevent your system from finding the networked computers with
    > > > files and printer to share.

    > > > If your homework is correct the setup takes a few minutes in XP SP2 home.

    > > > Best wishes,
    > > > Robert

    > > > "Mark" wrote in message

    > in the add printer wizard, after selecting the option to connect to a
    > printer attached to another computer, can you type in the UNC path?
    >
    > e.g. \\server_sharing_printer_name\printer_name
    >
    > also,
    >
    > are the computers on the same workgroup?
    > does the computer sharing the printer show up when you browse through
    > 'My Network Places'? how about its printer?

+ Reply to Thread