Reset admin password in NT 4.0 + NT server 4.0 - Windows NT

This is a discussion on Reset admin password in NT 4.0 + NT server 4.0 - Windows NT ; I just got an old NT 4.0 comp from goodwill. It has NT 4.0 and NT server 4.0 installed. Both have a [VGA mode] option on boot. There's also a "Microsoft Windows" option, but it just checks the floppy drive ...

  1. Reset admin password in NT 4.0 + NT server 4.0

    I just got an old NT 4.0 comp from goodwill. It has NT 4.0 and NT
    server 4.0 installed. Both have a [VGA mode] option on boot. There's
    also a "Microsoft Windows" option, but it just checks the floppy drive
    and gives a disk error (there's no disk in the drive). Anyway, I
    don't know the administrator password, or any others for that matter.
    It can't boot from CD, but is there any way I can reset the admin
    password with a boot floppy? I've done it before in XP, but with a CD.

  2. Re: Reset admin password in NT 4.0 + NT server 4.0

    I found a site on google that I thought might work:

    http://home.eunet.no/pnordahl/ntpasswd/

    However, my computer refuses to boot from the disk. It just says
    "Boot error". I tried putting a different ldlinux.sys file on the
    disk, like it said (grabbed it off my linux comp), but that didn't
    work. It can boot a DOS 6.22 disk fine. I think I might just
    reformat the HDD and do a new installation of NT...

+ Reply to Thread