Execute batch file regardless the operating system - Windows NT

This is a discussion on Execute batch file regardless the operating system - Windows NT ; Hello, I have t different versions of windows XP. One of them on HP machine and the other on IBM. So I am executing the same batch files on the same machines but some commands are varied from machine to ...

  1. Execute batch file regardless the operating system

    Hello,
    I have t different versions of windows XP. One of them on HP machine
    and the other on IBM. So I am executing the same batch files on the
    same machines but some commands are varied from machine to machine .
    Do I have a system variable that contain information about the machine
    system and can ce recognized with my batch file ?
    I need to execute from inside my batch file for example :

    #if def SYS_Variable = IBM
    execute date format routine
    #else if SYS_Variable = HP
    execute another date format routine

    Thanks

  2. Re: Execute batch file regardless the operating system

    happytoday wrote:
    > Hello,
    > I have t different versions of windows XP. One of them on HP machine
    > and the other on IBM. So I am executing the same batch files on the
    > same machines but some commands are varied from machine to machine .
    > Do I have a system variable that contain information about the machine
    > system and can ce recognized with my batch file ?
    > I need to execute from inside my batch file for example :
    >

    > #if def SYS_Variable = IBM
    > execute date format routine
    > #else if SYS_Variable = HP
    > execute another date format routine
    >

    > Thanks

    Checking in a cmd window mine showes:

    CLASSPATH=.;C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.5.0_10\lib\ext\QTJava.zip
    CommonProgramFiles=C:\Program Files\Common Files
    COMPUTERNAME=INTERNETBUGGY
    ComSpec=C:\WINDOWS\system32\cmd.exe
    FP_NO_HOST_CHECK=NO

    So you can use %COMPUTERNAME% to find out on which machine
    your batch is running.
    Like for mine:

    if %COMPUTERNAME%==INTERNETBUGGY echo what a strange computer name

    Backchecking,copy/paste the line in cmd window... Yep, it works.

  3. Re: Execute batch file regardless the operating system

    On Mon, 26 May 2008 15:18:54 -0700, happytoday wrote:

    > Hello,
    > I have t different versions of windows XP. One of them on HP machine and
    > the other on IBM. So I am executing the same batch files on the same
    > machines but some commands are varied from machine to machine . Do I have
    > a system variable that contain information about the machine system and
    > can ce recognized with my batch file ? I need to execute from inside my
    > batch file for example :

    I find it hard to believe that commands vary from machine to machine -
    applications, utilities, and tools, yes, but not the commands (the batch
    language, mostly). Exactly *what* commands vary and how do they vary. As
    far as I know, there is no real difference in the native commands within
    XP subversions, especially if all the updates and service packs have been
    applied as they should.

    --

    T.E.D. (tdavis@mst.edu) MST (Missouri University of Science and Technology)
    used to be UMR (University of Missouri - Rolla).

  4. Re: Execute batch file regardless the operating system

    On Mon, 26 May 2008 20:48:26 -0500, Ted Davis wrote:

    >On Mon, 26 May 2008 15:18:54 -0700, happytoday wrote:
    >
    >> I have t different versions of windows XP.

    >I find it hard to believe that commands vary from machine to machine -
    >applications, utilities, and tools, yes, but not the commands (the batch
    >language, mostly). Exactly *what* commands vary and how do they vary. As
    >far as I know, there is no real difference in the native commands within
    >XP subversions, especially if all the updates and service packs have been
    >applied as they should.

    Home and Pro have different command sets.

  5. Re: Execute batch file regardless the operating system

    On Tue, 27 May 2008 20:39:38 +1000, foxidrive wrote:

    > Home and Pro have different command sets.

    I've never used Home - I was told it's juat a crippled version without all
    the networking. I had assumed that the basic command sets, except for
    network commands which obviously don't apply in the OP's case. What else
    is missing?

    --

    T.E.D. (tdavis@mst.edu) MST (Missouri University of Science and Technology)
    used to be UMR (University of Missouri - Rolla).

  6. Re: Execute batch file regardless the operating system

    On Thu, 29 May 2008 20:29:46 -0500, Ted Davis wrote:

    >> Home and Pro have different command sets.

    >I've never used Home - I was told it's juat a crippled version without all
    >the networking. I had assumed that the basic command sets, except for
    >network commands which obviously don't apply in the OP's case. What else
    >is missing?

    Tasklist and taskkill I believe, and more.

    It's documented at MS if you can still find it.

  7. Re: Execute batch file regardless the operating system

    On Fri, 30 May 2008 15:02:10 +1000, foxidrive wrote:

    > Tasklist and taskkill I believe, and more.

    Both of which are network administration utilities, though they do have
    local uses. I would count them in the networking group.

    A simple way to solve the original problem would be to look for one of the
    utilities that doesn't exist on one of the machines. There might also be
    some network related environment variables that are present in one but not
    the other - the OP would have to dump the environments and compare them.

    --
    T.E.D. (tdavis@mst.edu)

  8. Re: Execute batch file regardless the operating system

    On Thu, 29 May 2008 20:29:46 -0500, Ted Davis wrote:

    >On Tue, 27 May 2008 20:39:38 +1000, foxidrive wrote:
    >
    >> Home and Pro have different command sets.

    >I've never used Home - I was told it's juat a crippled version without all
    >the networking. I had assumed that the basic command sets, except for
    >network commands which obviously don't apply in the OP's case. What else
    >is missing?

    Based on this list (http://www.tacktech.com/display.cfm?ttid=104) down
    below are the .exe files that don't exist in XP Home.

    In my opinion, the best desktop OS ever made by MS is XP Media Center
    Edition 2005. It is based on Pro, has more features and it is
    cheaper. MS hobbled it so that it can't 'easily' join a domain
    (include caching credentials) but they are the only limitations.

    asr_fmt
    asr_ldm
    bootcfg
    cipher
    convlog
    davcdata
    drvqry
    evcreate
    evtrig
    getmac
    gprslt
    gpupdate
    iisreset
    iisrstas
    iissync
    inetin51
    inetmgr
    logman
    mqbkup
    mqsvc
    mqtgsvc
    ntbackup
    nw16
    nwscript
    opnfiles
    proxycfg
    relog
    rsnotify
    rsopprov
    sctasks
    secedit
    sysinfo
    taskkill
    tasklist
    tlntadmn
    tlntsess
    tlntsvr
    tourw
    tracerpt
    typeperf
    vwipxspx
    wmic

  9. Re: Execute batch file regardless the operating system

    On Fri, 30 May 2008 07:51:25 -0500, Ted Davis wrote:

    >On Fri, 30 May 2008 15:02:10 +1000, foxidrive wrote:
    >
    >> Tasklist and taskkill I believe, and more.

    >Both of which are network administration utilities, though they do have
    >local uses. I would count them in the networking group.

    I use Tasklist often and have used TaskKill in scenarios where Task
    Manager wasn't practical. It is because of these two tools, and WMIC,
    that I upgraded from XP Home. XP Pro is on my laptop and XP Media
    Center Edition 2005 is on my desktop.

  10. Re: Execute batch file regardless the operating system

    On Sat, 31 May 2008 20:44:20 -0400, Clay Calvert wrote:

    > On Fri, 30 May 2008 07:51:25 -0500, Ted Davis wrote:
    >
    >>On Fri, 30 May 2008 15:02:10 +1000, foxidrive wrote:
    >>
    >>> Tasklist and taskkill I believe, and more.

    >>Both of which are network administration utilities, though they do have
    >>local uses. I would count them in the networking group.

    > I use Tasklist often and have used TaskKill in scenarios where Task
    > Manager wasn't practical. It is because of these two tools, and WMIC,
    > that I upgraded from XP Home. XP Pro is on my laptop and XP Media Center
    > Edition 2005 is on my desktop.

    People who use PsTools are unlikely to notice their absence.

    --

    T.E.D. (tdavis@mst.edu) MST (Missouri University of Science and Technology)
    used to be UMR (University of Missouri - Rolla).

+ Reply to Thread