NT 4.0 System - SCSI Failure - STOP 7B - Windows NT

This is a discussion on NT 4.0 System - SCSI Failure - STOP 7B - Windows NT ; I have a tower that has been running NT 4.0 Server for YEARS. It was upgraded to SP6a a LONG time back. We had an AMD K6-2 500MHz based M/B and the fan died. Burned the M/B so we replaced ...

  1. NT 4.0 System - SCSI Failure - STOP 7B

    I have a tower that has been running NT 4.0 Server for YEARS. It was
    upgraded to SP6a a LONG time back. We had an AMD K6-2 500MHz based M/B
    and the fan died. Burned the M/B so we replaced it. We are now running
    on a Soyo SY KT600 V2 MB. w/ 768MB RAM.

    Now when we upgraded to this, we also had to use the CD from Soyo to
    get drivers for the built in Ethernet adapter and an ATI CD to get the
    drivers for the new video card. At that time we were running a TEKRAM
    DC-390-U2W card.

    Config is as follows:
    SCSI ID DEVICE
    00 8GB Harddrive (seagate)
    01 CD-ROM
    03 Seagate TR4 Tape Drive
    08 17GB Harddrive

    OK, we decided that we needed to get to the sound on the M/B. Popped in
    the Soyo CD and installed the driver. Of course we had to re-boot.

    NT 4.0 Server loaded, put up the blue screen giving build, memory, etc.
    and we never got the line of dots. In fact, we didn't even get a dot.

    So I killed this by hitting the button and told the multi-boot
    driver to start W/NT 4.0 Workstation (SP4). This is a RESCUE only
    system. I couldn't see anything wrong with the "D" partition (where
    Server resides). So dummy me, I tried to put the Soyo driver on the
    Workstation. Killed the "C" partition (which also had IBM DOS 7 on it).

    OK, so I tried to boot the NT 4.0 Server CD and it comes up and says
    that it can't find any mass store devices please hit !!

    OK so I put an IDE hard drive and CD-ROM on the system. I can get
    Server installed on the IDE drive, and I can get it upgraded to SP4,
    then SP6a. Put in the Tekram driver floppy and it loads. Reboot and
    their driver doesn't start.

    6 weeks of battling with swapping IDE drives, swapping floppy units,
    booting Linux trying to figure out the "C" drive's problems.........
    So after being ignored by Tekram and Soyo, I followed some else's
    advice and got a 29160 ADAPTEC card. It complained about termination
    not being correct. So after fixing two different termination problems,
    we can now get the CD to boot kinda. Toss one SCSI CD-ROM unit and get
    another. Now we get all the way through the install (w/ the , S,
    and ADAPTEC drivers loaded) and the system gets to that nice blue
    screen and pauses, and 30 seconds later STOP 7B!

    I'm right back where I started. Now the "C" partition is only 2GB
    because it is FAT. All other partitions are NTFS Compressed. It has the
    NT Workstation install and the multi-boot software that allows Server
    to get its files and then go to "D" for it's WINNT folder/directory.

    Does anyone have any idea how to fix this? I can't seem to get the
    system to get far enough to ask me for the recovery diskette (AND I
    HAVE THEM!). I can't get things far enough to get VERITAS 7.3 loaded to
    RESTORE things (and I had JUST backed up the Server when this failure
    happened).

    I could use a well reasoned tip, hint or something because I don't have
    any more hair to pull out.

    Regards,
    Steve.T

  2. Re: NT 4.0 System - SCSI Failure - STOP 7B

    Wylbur wrote:

> [...]
    > another. Now we get all the way through the install (w/ the , S,
    > and ADAPTEC drivers loaded) and the system gets to that nice blue
    > screen and pauses, and 30 seconds later STOP 7B!
    >
    > I'm right back where I started. Now the "C" partition is only 2GB
    > because it is FAT. All other partitions are NTFS Compressed. It has the
    > NT Workstation install and the multi-boot software that allows Server
    > to get its files and then go to "D" for it's WINNT folder/directory.
    >
    > Does anyone have any idea how to fix this? I can't seem to get the
    > system to get far enough to ask me for the recovery diskette (AND I
    > HAVE THEM!). I can't get things far enough to get VERITAS 7.3 loaded to
    > RESTORE things (and I had JUST backed up the Server when this failure
    > happened).
    >
    > I could use a well reasoned tip, hint or something because I don't have

    Likely causes:

    - SCSI BIOS clashes with motherboard BIOS. Try upgrading/downgrading BIOSes.
    - IRQ conflict. Try HBA in a different slot. Try changing PnP OS setting
    in motherboard BIOS.

    See http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=122926 for reasoning. My tips are
    based on experience only. It's possible there's no solution - I once
    gave up trying to get a Soyo board to do SCSI while I still had hair :-)

    Sunny

+ Reply to Thread