Hi there,

I've just run across a strange problem which I can't track down any
further.
The topic already suggests, that different versions of CMD.EXE are
called, but so far I claim to have excluded this. Here's what happens:

For test-purposes I've been editing the registry with the following
command prompts:

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Directory\shell\Command]
@="ThisDir &Prompt"

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Directory\shell\Command\command]
@="C:\\WinNT\\System32\\Cmd.exe /E:ON /k echo %1"

-- or --

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Directory\shell\Command]
@="ThisDir &Prompt"

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Directory\shell\Command\command]
@="Cmd.exe /E:ON /k echo %1"

which apparently should be exactly the same as long as there are no two
different cmd.exe in my path. I said I'm almost sure to exclude this.
The difference in behaviour is, that the first version, using the full
path for calling cmd.exe ends up using the long-filename syntax,
whereas the second version ends up using the 8.3 (short) filename
syntax.
I can't figure out why this is so, but I'd be highly interested in the
reason for this behaviour!

Any help greatly appreciated!

Regards and merry christmas,
Carsten.