Use of server applications - Windows NT

This is a discussion on Use of server applications - Windows NT ; I'm intrigued by using server applications, a/k/a network applications, or whatever the proper terminology is, on my home LAN. Its a client/server LAN. Has anyone used this feature? What were your experiences with it? What types of applications did you ...

  1. Use of server applications

    I'm intrigued by using server applications, a/k/a network applications,
    or whatever the proper
    terminology is, on my home LAN. Its a client/server LAN.

    Has anyone used this feature? What were your experiences with it?
    What types of applications did you use? What applications are suitable

    for this?

    Thanks,

    Dan

  2. Re: Use of server applications

    Would depend on what you want to do and who your ISP is. Most ISP state the
    use of any server applications is a violation of their TOS. I know RR has
    sent out letters to users wth open SQL ports in the past.

    I personally run Exchange, FTP, and Sharepoint on my home network. Although
    none of it is being hit by a very large number of users the Sharepoint
    site(s) are public and have a hobby website, a personal photo website and
    then an internal secure web site for transfering documents between myself
    and 3 others. I use Exchange to get back to my email from anywhere and
    although it is a server OS I would have some very strong arguements that
    it's use violates any TOS since I use it mainly to remote access my email
    and contacts via OWA or PPC syncing. Accessing one's own network from a
    remote location should never be a TOS violation.

    Downside:

    TOS violation?
    Up speeds tend to suck, 300KB
    Dynamic IP (ways around that problem)
    QOS - RR in my case has no QOS for home users other than a "best effort"

    "Dan-the K" wrote in message
    news:1128211648.770328.38240@g44g2000cwa.googlegro ups.com...
    > I'm intrigued by using server applications, a/k/a network applications,
    > or whatever the proper
    > terminology is, on my home LAN. Its a client/server LAN.
    >
    > Has anyone used this feature? What were your experiences with it?
    > What types of applications did you use? What applications are suitable
    >
    > for this?
    >

    > Thanks,
    >
    > Dan

+ Reply to Thread