Web Server with 2 NIC cards - Windows NT

This is a discussion on Web Server with 2 NIC cards - Windows NT ; Hello, I am a total newbie and I have some questions about a web server that needs to have an static IP for our website and to also to be able to see our LAN. Right now, we have an ...

  1. Web Server with 2 NIC cards

    Hello, I am a total newbie and I have some questions about a web server
    that needs to have an static IP for our website and to also to be able
    to see our LAN.

    Right now, we have an old server with 2 NIC cards, one for the LAN and
    the other one for the website with an static IP so internet users can
    see our site. However, we're getting a new server and we're wondering
    if we really need to install 2 NIC cards for this one too. Is there a
    way to have only one card that can be used to both purposes?

    We also have a router and a firewall. Do you guys think that should be
    a function of these machines instead of the server? What are the
    advantages of having 2 NIC cards for the purposes listed above? What
    are the disadvantages?

    Since there are some co-workers who remotely connect to the network via
    the Static IP address and its NIC card, what potential problems could
    occur by bypassing our firewall if they keep doing this?

    Thanks for all your help.

  2. Re: Web Server with 2 NIC cards

    Hi again, I forgot to mention that the web server runs NT 4.0 and we
    have a network running NT with windows XP terminals.

    Thanks again.

    TotalNewbie.

  3. Re: Web Server with 2 NIC cards

    ILCSP@NETZERO.NET wrote:
    > Hello, I am a total newbie and I have some questions about a web server
    > that needs to have an static IP for our website and to also to be able
    > to see our LAN.
    >
    > Right now, we have an old server with 2 NIC cards, one for the LAN and
    > the other one for the website with an static IP so internet users can
    > see our site. However, we're getting a new server and we're wondering
    > if we really need to install 2 NIC cards for this one too. Is there a
    > way to have only one card that can be used to both purposes?
    >
    > We also have a router and a firewall. Do you guys think that should be
    > a function of these machines instead of the server? What are the
    > advantages of having 2 NIC cards for the purposes listed above? What
    > are the disadvantages?
    >
    > Since there are some co-workers who remotely connect to the network via
    > the Static IP address and its NIC card, what potential problems could
    > occur by bypassing our firewall if they keep doing this?
    >
    > Thanks for all your help.

    The simple answer is yes. If this machine needs to have a static IP for
    the outside, and an internal IP for your network, you need two NICs. You
    should use the router/firewall to.

    From a security standpoint, there is a lot more you should do. Try
    googling for DMZ. This involves separating your public webserver onto
    its own subnet, so if (whcn) the web server machine is cracked, it can't
    directly get to your internal network.

+ Reply to Thread