Help with deleting from the Control Panel - Windows NT

This is a discussion on Help with deleting from the Control Panel - Windows NT ; Over time, Control Panel has expanded to include about 10 obsolete, deleted, dysfunctional, and not needed icons. How do I delete them? None of the usual methods work. Click with right mouse brings up a menu that doesn't include delete. ...

  1. Help with deleting from the Control Panel

    Over time, Control Panel has expanded to include about 10 obsolete,
    deleted, dysfunctional, and not needed icons. How do I delete them?

    None of the usual methods work. Click with right mouse brings up a
    menu that doesn't include delete. Click with left mouse and delete
    doesn't do anything. Would they be somewhere in Profiles? Is this a
    Registry Question?

    TIA,

    Dan

  2. Re: Help with deleting from the Control Panel

    Dan-the K wrote...

    >Over time, Control Panel has expanded to include about 10 obsolete,
    >deleted, dysfunctional, and not needed icons. How do I delete them?
    >
    >None of the usual methods work. Click with right mouse brings up a
    >menu that doesn't include delete. Click with left mouse and delete
    >doesn't do anything. Would they be somewhere in Profiles? Is this a
    >Registry Question?

    2.3.1 Hide Unused Applets with the Registry

    To hide unused applets using the Registry, run the Registry Editor
    and go to
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\Curr entVersion\Control
    Panel\don't load.

    The key, as its name implies, determines which Control Panel applet
    icons are not loaded into the Control Panel. You'll still be able to run
    those applets from the command line after you hide them (as explained
    later in this hack); you just won't be able to see their icons in the
    Control Panel.

    To hide an applet, create a new String value whose name is the filename
    of the applet that you want to hide. For example, to hide the Mouse
    Control dialog box, the String value would be main.cpl. See Table 2-1
    for a list of Control Panel applets and their filenames.

    Table 2-1. Control Panel applets and their filenames

    Applet Filename
    ======= ========
    System Properties sysdm.cpl

    Display Properties desk.cpl

    Network Connections ncpa.cpl

    Accessibility Options access.cpl

    Add or remove programs appwiz.cpl

    Add Hardware Wizard hdwwiz.cpl

    Internet Properties Inetcpl.cpl

    Region and Language Options intl.cpl

    Game Controllers joy.cpl

    Mouse Properties main.cpl

    Sound and Audio Devices mmsys.cpl

    User Accounts nusrmgr.cpl

    ODBC Data Source Administrator odbccp32.cpl

    Power Options Properties Powercfg.cpl

    Phone and Modem Options telephon.cpl

    Time and Date Properties timedate.cpl

    Speech Properties sapi.cpl

    Create separate String values for each applet you want to hide, then
    exit the Registry. The applets will vanish from the Control Panel. To
    make hidden applets appear again, delete its string value from this same
    registry key.

  3. Re: Help with deleting from the Control Panel

    You an hide them using TweakUI, free for Microsoft.

    --
    Mike Walsh
    West Palm Beach, Florida, U.S.A.

  4. Re: Help with deleting from the Control Panel

    "Dan-the K" wrote:

    >Over time, Control Panel has expanded to include about 10 obsolete,
    >deleted, dysfunctional, and not needed icons. How do I delete them?
    >
    >None of the usual methods work. Click with right mouse brings up a
    >menu that doesn't include delete. Click with left mouse and delete
    >doesn't do anything. Would they be somewhere in Profiles? Is this a
    >Registry Question?

    Hi Dan,
    it is much more simple: All entries in Control Panel have a
    corresponding file named "*.CPL" in system32. - Just move them
    into a "trash" directory and find out, what the obsolete ones
    are.

    Reinhardt

  5. Re: Help with deleting from the Control Panel

    Thanks, Harry, Mike and Reinhardt.

    Harry, there is no such registry key as
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Mi*crosoft\Windows\Cur rentVersion*\Control

    Panel\don't load.

    The closest I could find is
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Mi*crosoft\Windows NT\Ini File
    Mapping\control_ini\"USR: Control Panel\don't load

    I was able to remove six icons by moving *.cpl elsewhere. However, I
    can't find the *.cpl fiiles for PC Card (PCMCIA) and Monitoring Agent.
    Any ideas?

  6. Re: Help with deleting from the Control Panel

    Dan-the K wrote...

    >Thanks, Harry, Mike and Reinhardt.
    >
    >Harry, there is no such registry key as
    >HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\Curr entVersion\Control
    >Panel\don't load.

    Maybe your OS is not XP.
    My XP Home has such a registry entry.

    >I was able to remove six icons by moving *.cpl elsewhere. However, I
    >can't find the *.cpl fiiles for PC Card (PCMCIA) and Monitoring Agent.
    >Any ideas?

    Assume all Control Panel enries have .cpl extensions.
    Then search your %systemdrive% (usually C and (hopefully) you should
    be able to local what you want.

+ Reply to Thread