How to run a program during reboot??? - Windows NT

This is a discussion on How to run a program during reboot??? - Windows NT ; Hi, I'd like my NT server run a program (Ghost) during reboot... Every night. How can I do? If it is possible... Autoexec.bat? No, unfortunatly... Is there something else, perhaps dosstart.bat ??? Thank you very much. Carlo....

  1. How to run a program during reboot???

    Hi, I'd like my NT server run a program (Ghost)
    during reboot... Every night.
    How can I do?
    If it is possible...

    Autoexec.bat? No, unfortunatly...

    Is there something else, perhaps dosstart.bat ???

    Thank you very much.

    Carlo.

  2. Re: How to run a program during reboot???

    "Chobin" wrote:

    >Hi, I'd like my NT server run a program (Ghost)
    >during reboot... Every night.
    >How can I do?
    >If it is possible...
    >
    >Autoexec.bat? No, unfortunatly...
    >
    >Is there something else, perhaps dosstart.bat ???
    >
    >Thank you very much.
    >
    >Carlo.

    Hi Carlo,

    What is your need of creating a disk image every night?

    What is the version of your NT server? NT4, W2000 or W2003?
    What version of Ghost do you own?
    Where do you want to save the image to?

    Maybe it is more simple to create a mirrored disk for your needs.

    Reinhardt
    --
    Die Katzen sind Wörter mit Pelz. Wie die Wörter, so streifen sie um die
    Menschen herum, ohne sich je zähmen zu lassen. Wörter und Katzen gehören

  3. Re: How to run a program during reboot???

    Chobin wrote...

    >Hi, I'd like my NT server run a program (Ghost)
    >during reboot... Every night.
    >How can I do?
    >If it is possible...
    >
    >Autoexec.bat? No, unfortunatly...
    >
    >Is there something else, perhaps dosstart.bat ???

    http://www.zdnet.com.au/reviews/0,39...9181203,00.htm

  4. Re: How to run a program during reboot???

    Hi, thank you for your reply.
    OS: nt4 server
    Ghost 9
    I have 2 scsi hard discs and I'd like to "ghost" the first one
    onto the second one every night so that in case of hardware/
    software problems (install of assassin service packs, virus...)
    I can restore the situation at the day before...

    Bye.

    Carlo.

    Reinhardt Kern ha scritto:
    > "Chobin" wrote:
    >
    > >Hi, I'd like my NT server run a program (Ghost)
    > >during reboot... Every night.
    > >How can I do?
    > >If it is possible...
    > >
    > >Autoexec.bat? No, unfortunatly...
    > >
    > >Is there something else, perhaps dosstart.bat ???
    > >
    > >Thank you very much.
    > >
    > >Carlo.

    > Hi Carlo,
    >
    > What is your need of creating a disk image every night?
    >
    > What is the version of your NT server? NT4, W2000 or W2003?
    > What version of Ghost do you own?
    > Where do you want to save the image to?
    >
    > Maybe it is more simple to create a mirrored disk for your needs.
    >
    > Reinhardt
    > --
    > Die Katzen sind Wörter mit Pelz. Wie die Wörter, so streifen sie um die
    > Menschen herum, ohne sich je zähmen zu lassen. Wörter und Katzen gehören
    > zur Rasse der Nichtgreifbaren. [Erik Orsenna]

  5. Re: How to run a program during reboot???

    "Chobin" wrote:

    >Hi, thank you for your reply.
    >OS: nt4 server
    >Ghost 9
    >I have 2 scsi hard discs and I'd like to "ghost" the first one
    >onto the second one every night so that in case of hardware/
    >software problems (install of assassin service packs, virus...)
    >I can restore the situation at the day before...

    The following is untested, but should work.

    Prepare a WinPE-Boot-CD for rescuing a malformed registry!
    (http://www.nu2.nu/bootablecd/)

    Go to a TEST machine (your system can be unbootable in case of
    error)

    On your Ghost 9 CD you should find a GHOST32.EXE.
    Copy it to the TESTMACHINE.

    Add "cmd" to the following Reg-Key:

    [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Contro l\Session
    Manager]
    "BootExecute" = "autocheck autochk *"

    so it shows
    "BootExecute" = "autocheck autochk * cmd"

    After booting the system should pop up a CMD box.

    Now test the following:
    - Can you read C:? (dir c:\ /s)
    - Can you write D:? (echo test >d:\test.txt)
    - Can you start GHOST32.exe?

    If yes, then you can continue.

    - Create C:\backup.cmd
    --[backup.cmd]---------
    echo Here is %0
    pause
    -----------------------

    - Start the Batch file from the BootExecute key:
    "BootExecute" = "autocheck autochk * "cmd /c C:\backup.cmd""
    (The quotes " must be within the reg key for escaping the
    spaces in the command line)
    or test the following:
    "BootExecute" = "autocheck autochk * C:\backup.cmd"

    Test this!

    If yes, then it will be simple to implement your scheduled
    GHOST-image:

    1.) Create an AT-job that creates a flag file and restarts the
    server at 11:30 pm. (Maybe you have to activate the scheduler
    service first.)
    -- C:\winnt\restart.cmd
    echo create flag file

    2.) create a D:\backup.cmd the deletes the flag file and restarts
    the server.
    -- D:\backup.cmd ----------
    if not exist c:\create_backup.txt goto :EOF
    D:
    echo Backup server
    :-- shift generations.
    delete D:\BACKUP_3.GHO
    move D:\BACKUP_2.GHO D:\BACKUP_3.GHO
    move D:\BACKUP_1.GHO D:\BACKUP_2.GHO
    move D:\BACKUP.GHO D:\BACKUP_1.GHO
    :-- create new image of HDD 1 into D:\backup.gho ----
    D:\ghost32.exe -clone,MODE=dump,SRC=1,DST=D:\BACKUP.gho
    delete C:\create_backup.txt
    :EOF

    Reinhardt

    --
    Die Katzen sind Wörter mit Pelz. Wie die Wörter, so streifen sie um die
    Menschen herum, ohne sich je zähmen zu lassen. Wörter und Katzen gehören
    zur Rasse der Nichtgreifbaren. [Erik Orsenna]

  6. Re: How to run a program during reboot???

    Chobin wrote:

    > Hi, thank you for your reply.
    > OS: nt4 server
    > Ghost 9

    Ghost 9 can image the system disk while windows is running - no reboot
    required.

    > I have 2 scsi hard discs and I'd like to "ghost" the first one
    > onto the second one every night so that in case of hardware/
    > software problems (install of assassin service packs, virus...)
    > I can restore the situation at the day before...
    >
    > Bye.
    >
    > Carlo.
    >

    > Reinhardt Kern ha scritto:
    >
    >>"Chobin" wrote:
    >>

    >>>Hi, I'd like my NT server run a program (Ghost)
    >>>during reboot... Every night.
    >>>How can I do?
    >>>If it is possible...
    >>>
    >>>Autoexec.bat? No, unfortunatly...
    >>>
    >>>Is there something else, perhaps dosstart.bat ???
    >>>
    >>>Thank you very much.
    >>>
    >>>Carlo.

    >>Hi Carlo,
    >>
    >>What is your need of creating a disk image every night?
    >>
    >>What is the version of your NT server? NT4, W2000 or W2003?
    >>What version of Ghost do you own?
    >>Where do you want to save the image to?
    >>
    >>Maybe it is more simple to create a mirrored disk for your needs.
    >>
    >>Reinhardt
    >>--
    >>Die Katzen sind Wörter mit Pelz. Wie die Wörter, so streifen sie um die
    >>Menschen herum, ohne sich je zähmen zu lassen. Wörter und Katzen gehören
    >>zur Rasse der Nichtgreifbaren. [Erik Orsenna]

  7. Re: How to run a program during reboot???

    Thank you very much!!!
    All right, it runs perfectly!!!

+ Reply to Thread