chkdsk for xp-ntfs on windows nt 4.0 - Windows NT

This is a discussion on chkdsk for xp-ntfs on windows nt 4.0 - Windows NT ; Hi, i moved a harddisk from a nt 4.0 server to a windows xp pro pc to copy some data. After putting the harddisk back in the nt 4.0 pc i cannot run chkdsk anymore because xp pro changed the ...

  1. chkdsk for xp-ntfs on windows nt 4.0

    Hi,

    i moved a harddisk from a nt 4.0 server to a windows xp pro
    pc to copy some data.

    After putting the harddisk back in the nt 4.0 pc i cannot
    run chkdsk anymore because xp pro changed the ntfs to a new
    version.

    The nt chkdsk always tell me that i have to use the new bs-version
    to check my disk.

    is there a way to changeback the ntfs to the nt 4.0 version or
    is there a chkdsk tool that runds under nt 4.0 and is able to check
    the new nfs.

    .....pips

  2. Re: chkdsk for xp-ntfs on windows nt 4.0

    a_pieper@gmx.de wrote:

    > is there a way to changeback the ntfs to the nt 4.0 version or
    > is there a chkdsk tool that runds under nt 4.0 and is able to check
    > the new nfs.

    Yes, look at the freewares SysInternals, they have a tool that helps
    running chkdsk on ntfs 5 volumes on nt 4.
    http://www.sysinternals.com

    --
    Olof Lagerkvist
    ICQ: 724451

  3. Re: chkdsk for xp-ntfs on windows nt 4.0

    Olof Lagerkvist schrieb:
    > a_pieper@gmx.de wrote:
    >
    >> is there a way to changeback the ntfs to the nt 4.0 version or
    >> is there a chkdsk tool that runds under nt 4.0 and is able to check
    >> the new nfs.

    > Yes, look at the freewares SysInternals, they have a tool that helps
    > running chkdsk on ntfs 5 volumes on nt 4.
    > http://www.sysinternals.com

    You mean ntfschk v1.0? - i already tried that but it seems this util
    is only able to handle win2k-ntfs, not winxp-ntfs :-(

    Anyway thanks for the tip.

    ....pips

  4. Re: chkdsk for xp-ntfs on windows nt 4.0

    a_pieper@gmx.de wrote:

    > You mean ntfschk v1.0? - i already tried that but it seems this util
    > is only able to handle win2k-ntfs, not winxp-ntfs :-(

    Have you tried it? I don't remember if I have got it to work on ntfs
    volumes used in Windows XP but I cannot see why it should not work.
    NTFSv5 is used in both Windows 2000 and XP (and even Server 2003).

    --
    Olof Lagerkvist
    ICQ: 724451

  5. Re: chkdsk for xp-ntfs on windows nt 4.0

    Olof Lagerkvist schrieb:
    > a_pieper@gmx.de wrote:
    >
    >> You mean ntfschk v1.0? - i already tried that but it seems this util
    >> is only able to handle win2k-ntfs, not winxp-ntfs :-(

    > Have you tried it? I don't remember if I have got it to work on ntfs
    > volumes used in Windows XP but I cannot see why it should not work.
    > NTFSv5 is used in both Windows 2000 and XP (and even Server 2003).

    Yes, i've tried it.

    The errors i get:
    NTFSCHK v1.0: NTFS 5 Chkdsk support for Windows NT 4.0
    By Mark Russinovich and Bryce Cogswell
    Copyright (C) 1999 Systems Internals - http://www.sysinternals.com
    Could not lock C: for NTFSCHK: Zugriff wurde verweigert.

    Could not lock D: for NTFSCHK: Zugriff wurde verweigert.

    Could not lock J: for NTFSCHK: Zugriff wurde verweigert.

    Could not lock L: for NTFSCHK: Zugriff wurde verweigert.

    No NTFS drives recognized. Exiting.

    Because i had to check at least once i removed the hdd and put
    on a win xp pro pc. Checking there worked but i cannot move
    the hdd always to another pc for checking :-(

    ....pips

  6. Re: chkdsk for xp-ntfs on windows nt 4.0

    Forgot to translate, sorry:

    > Could not lock D: for NTFSCHK: Zugriff wurde verweigert.

    means: access denied (german)

+ Reply to Thread