FDISK won't remove NTFS - Windows NT

This is a discussion on FDISK won't remove NTFS - Windows NT ; I am trying to put Windows 98 on old ex-office PCs that had Windows NT on them. Most of the hard disk in each case is NTFS, and Windows 98 won't use it. FDISK tells me that there is no ...

  1. FDISK won't remove NTFS

    I am trying to put Windows 98 on old ex-office PCs that had Windows NT
    on them.

    Most of the hard disk in each case is NTFS, and Windows 98 won't use
    it.

    FDISK tells me that there is no non-DOS partition, there are no logical
    drives in the extended DOS partition and that I can't delete the
    extended DOS partition while it contains logical drives.

    In other words, it won't let me delete the extended DOS partition until
    I've deleted logical drives that it tells me don't exist.

    Is there a way round this? I've tried every option in FDISK now.

  2. Re: FDISK won't remove NTFS

    Put the drive in a WinNT PC and remove the partitions, or do a low level format.

    --
    Mike Walsh
    West Palm Beach, Florida, U.S.A.

  3. Re: FDISK won't remove NTFS

    Mike Walsh wrote:
    > Put the drive in a WinNT PC and remove the partitions, or do a low

    level format.

    > MIG wrote:
    > >
    > > I am trying to put Windows 98 on old ex-office PCs that had Windows

    NT
    > > on them.
    > >
    > > Most of the hard disk in each case is NTFS, and Windows 98 won't

    use
    > > it.
    > >
    > > FDISK tells me that there is no non-DOS partition, there are no

    logical
    > > drives in the extended DOS partition and that I can't delete the
    > > extended DOS partition while it contains logical drives.
    > >
    > > In other words, it won't let me delete the extended DOS partition

    until
    > > I've deleted logical drives that it tells me don't exist.
    > >
    > > Is there a way round this? I've tried every option in FDISK now.

    > --
    > Mike Walsh
    > West Palm Beach, Florida, U.S.A.

    I found that the answer is to get delpart.exe (or equivalent), install
    Windows 98 in the small space to allow the creation of a bootable
    floppy, then copy delpart to the same floppy, boot up on that floppy,
    use delpart, use fdisk and then start all over again.

+ Reply to Thread