Windows 2003 server CPU usage very high - Windows NT

This is a discussion on Windows 2003 server CPU usage very high - Windows NT ; Hello, I have a dual processor server which shows 80+ % cpu usage all the time I had a memory slot go bad (light was on, failed with multiple sticks of memory, the slot was slot #1). I moved all ...

  1. Windows 2003 server CPU usage very high

    Hello,

    I have a dual processor server which shows 80+ % cpu usage all the time

    I had a memory slot go bad (light was on, failed with multiple sticks
    of memory, the slot was slot #1). I moved all the memory one slot
    down, so could this cause this problem?

    Process explorer shows "Hardware interrupts" at 45% and also DFC's at
    30+ %

    I cant see any device which has a problem.

    I tried to disable and enable the ones I knew but I wasnt sure I could
    just disable anything there.

    The server reports no errors recently except:
    "
    The Parallel port driver service failed to start due to the following
    error:
    The service cannot be started, either because it is disabled or because
    it has no enabled devices associated with it.
    "

    That error happened after the memory slot error.

    Does anyone know if there anything I can do about this problem?

    Thank you!

  2. Re: Windows 2003 server CPU usage very high

    Problem solved

    Disable devices until process explorer shows the interrupts go to less than
    1%

    That device obviously has a problem, that is where you need to look

    In my case I had my "ECP printer port (LPT1)" misconfigured.

    In properties >> port settings >> I selected "use any interrupt assigned to
    the port" and enabled the device.

    The CPU usage is now normal.

    Hope this helps

    BA

    "BA" wrote in message
    news:428e3ee2$0$1365$5fc3050@dreader2.news.tiscali .nl...
    > Hello,
    >

    > I have a dual processor server which shows 80+ % cpu usage all the time
    >

    > I had a memory slot go bad (light was on, failed with multiple sticks
    > of memory, the slot was slot #1). I moved all the memory one slot
    > down, so could this cause this problem?
    >

    > Process explorer shows "Hardware interrupts" at 45% and also DFC's at
    > 30+ %
    >

    > I cant see any device which has a problem.
    >

    > I tried to disable and enable the ones I knew but I wasnt sure I could
    > just disable anything there.
    >

    > The server reports no errors recently except:
    > "
    > The Parallel port driver service failed to start due to the following
    > error:
    > The service cannot be started, either because it is disabled or because
    > it has no enabled devices associated with it.
    > "
    >

    > That error happened after the memory slot error.
    >

    > Does anyone know if there anything I can do about this problem?
    >

    > Thank you!

+ Reply to Thread