Setting up DNS servers - Windows NT

This is a discussion on Setting up DNS servers - Windows NT ; How do I setup 2 DNS servers in my network? One should serve the public requests (mail, www, etc.) and one for internal network? I have one already setup serving both public and private, but I want to change that ...

  1. Setting up DNS servers

    How do I setup 2 DNS servers in my network? One should serve the public
    requests (mail, www, etc.) and one for internal network? I have one
    already setup serving both public and private, but I want to change
    that and split them into either 2 servers, or 2 NICs. What do I do with
    the current forward zone I have?

    Thanks!

  2. Re: Setting up DNS servers

    No_Spam wrote:
    > How do I setup 2 DNS servers in my network? One should serve the public
    > requests (mail, www, etc.) and one for internal network? I have one
    > already setup serving both public and private, but I want to change
    > that and split them into either 2 servers, or 2 NICs. What do I do with
    > the current forward zone I have?

    I doubt that this is wise. When setting up two nameservers, then have
    one as backup-server that act as slave to the master to have redundance.

    You can restrict access to the zone-information by ip-adress

    To your question:
    just set up a second DNS-server. Where is the problem? You can have
    unlimited number of dns-servers running in the same network.
    Your machines in the LAN need to know which one to ask. DHCP is capable
    of doing so.

    best,
    peter

    --