I have a couple of old machines running windows NT which have a problem. If
I press "START" then go to a program to run, the windows menu will stop
responding if the progrm is not selected in a few seconds. Say I want to go
into the event viewer, I must quickliy click start, programs,administrative
tools, then event viewer. If I take more than two seconds the last menu
selected remains hilighted and I must move the mouse to the desktop and
start again. The mouse never stops responding, the windows menu stops
responding. I have seen this very problem on two computers in the office
(all running windows NT). The machines are all up to date with service
packs, 512 MB RAM, one is running an AMD 1400 and the other is an AMD 1200.

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance