Trying to move NT to new PC and now old PC won't boot, really bad & $$$ - Windows NT

This is a discussion on Trying to move NT to new PC and now old PC won't boot, really bad & $$$ - Windows NT ; I have an old PPro 200 compaq workstation and was trying to upgrade the PC to XP. I did the following, built the new Pentium 4 machine and ran Drive Copy to copy the old NT c: drive to the ...

  1. Trying to move NT to new PC and now old PC won't boot, really bad & $$$

    I have an old PPro 200 compaq workstation and was trying to upgrade the
    PC to XP. I did the following, built the new Pentium 4 machine and ran
    Drive Copy to copy the old NT c: drive to the new machines hard drive.
    All went well until I reinstalled the old drive in the old system and
    it wouldn't boot. Said no NTLDR. I made a backup of the c: drive
    using NTbackup and an 8mm tape drive. The old machine didn't have a
    repair disk generated. I tried doing a repair installation on the old
    c: but it didn't find the old installation and kept trying to get me to
    insert the repair diskette(s). I really need to get the old machine
    running with the old programs because one of the programs would cost
    over $12,000 to replace and they didn't have the original CD.

    I tried doing a clean install on another hard driving I had laying
    around and then doing a restore in ntbackup to the original location,
    but then it wouldn't boot saying it couldn't find the ntoskrnl and told
    me to reinstall it. And again, the "R" for repair didn't find the now
    new installation and I didn't have any repair diskettes.

    What can I do to restore the old system?

    I learned a valuable lesson. Do only clean installs and don't fool
    with their old systems if they have expensive software and don't have a
    CD to reinstall.

    I would really appreciate some help. If I have to buy a new license to
    the $$ software, that would really hurt.

    Thanks
    Tom

  2. Re: Trying to move NT to new PC and now old PC won't boot, really bad & $$$

    wrote in message
    news:1113874649.146301.293150@f14g2000cwb.googlegr oups.com...
    > I have an old PPro 200 compaq workstation and was trying to upgrade the
    > PC to XP. I did the following, built the new Pentium 4 machine and ran
    > Drive Copy to copy the old NT c: drive to the new machines hard drive.
    > All went well until I reinstalled the old drive in the old system and
    > it wouldn't boot. Said no NTLDR. I made a backup of the c: drive
    > using NTbackup and an 8mm tape drive. The old machine didn't have a
    > repair disk generated. I tried doing a repair installation on the old
    > c: but it didn't find the old installation and kept trying to get me to
    > insert the repair diskette(s). I really need to get the old machine
    > running with the old programs because one of the programs would cost
    > over $12,000 to replace and they didn't have the original CD.
    >
    > I tried doing a clean install on another hard driving I had laying
    > around and then doing a restore in ntbackup to the original location,
    > but then it wouldn't boot saying it couldn't find the ntoskrnl and told
    > me to reinstall it. And again, the "R" for repair didn't find the now
    > new installation and I didn't have any repair diskettes.
    >
    > What can I do to restore the old system?
    >
    > I learned a valuable lesson. Do only clean installs and don't fool
    > with their old systems if they have expensive software and don't have a
    > CD to reinstall.
    >
    > I would really appreciate some help. If I have to buy a new license to
    > the $$ software, that would really hurt.
    >
    > Thanks
    > Tom

    I suspect that your repair attempts have damaged your WinNT
    installation beyond repair. There is a faint chance that you can
    recover by booting with a WinNT boot disk - see below.

    If your program is worth $12,000 then I wonder why you did
    not invest $50.00 or so while things were going fine. This is how
    much a disk imaging program would cost (e.g. Acronis). If you
    had such an image then you could restore your WinNT installation
    in less than thirty minutes.

    To make a WinNT boot diskette:

    - Format a floppy disk on some other WinNT/2000/XP PC.
    Don't do it on a Win9x PC - it won't work.
    - Copy these files from the \i386 folder of your WinNT CD to A:\
    ntldr
    ntdetect.com
    - Create a file a:\boot.ini with these lines
    [Boot Loader]
    Timeout=3
    Default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINNT
    [Operating Systems]
    multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINNT="Microsoft Windows NT"
    /fastdetect
    - Boot the machine with this floppy

  3. Re: Trying to move NT to new PC and now old PC won't boot, really bad & $$$

    Thanks, I will try that. Correction though, the final product was
    supposed to be an upgraded Win2000 machine. I wonder if I could do a
    restore of the tape to the new drive and have enough system files for
    the Win2000 upgrade to recognize the system and install. Does it need
    to be a complete install, or can I boot to the NT boot disk, insert the
    Win2000 upgrade CD and then have the upgrade take place? I didn't get
    a disk image program like your Acronis or Ghost because I was only
    copying the hard drive to a new drive using Drive Copy like I have done
    many many times in the past. For me, this is the first time the
    program has corrupted the original hard drive.

    Thanks

  4. Re: Trying to move NT to new PC and now old PC won't boot, really bad & $$$

    "geo" wrote in message
    news:1114052231.757095.264410@l41g2000cwc.googlegr oups.com...
    > Thanks, I will try that. Correction though, the final product was
    > supposed to be an upgraded Win2000 machine. I wonder if I could do a
    > restore of the tape to the new drive and have enough system files for
    > the Win2000 upgrade to recognize the system and install. Does it need
    > to be a complete install, or can I boot to the NT boot disk, insert the
    > Win2000 upgrade CD and then have the upgrade take place? I didn't get
    > a disk image program like your Acronis or Ghost because I was only
    > copying the hard drive to a new drive using Drive Copy like I have done
    > many many times in the past. For me, this is the first time the
    > program has corrupted the original hard drive.
    >
    > Thanks

    Anyone dealing with a critical system - either from a financial or from an
    availability point of view - must plan ahead and make sure that a proper
    disaster recovery plan is in place. Suggesting that this is not necessary
    because things worked well in the past is unsound reasoning.

    You should apply this principle right now and take a snapshot image
    of what's left. This will allow you to experiment freely, without fear
    that things will get worse.

    After you've taken your snapshot, try both of your suggestions. They
    might work. If they don't and you need to try something else then it
    will be easy to revert to the saved snapshot.

  5. Re: Trying to move NT to new PC and now old PC won't boot, really bad & $$$

    I generated the boot disk and got the following message root>\system32\ntoskrnl.exe is missing or corrupt please re-install or
    copy .... The hard drive has WinNT installed on winnt35 directory.
    Should I change the boot.ini to reflect the change in installed
    directory? That also could be why the repair attempt from the CD
    could't find the previous install. Ntldr ntdetect and ntoskrnl are all
    in the c:\winnt35\

    Thanks for your help.
    Tom

+ Reply to Thread