Starting Print spooler service - Windows NT

This is a discussion on Starting Print spooler service - Windows NT ; I have Windows XP Home Edition (all patches applied). Recently, I ran msconfig and stopped unwanted processes as part of cleanup. Now, my printer spooler is not running. I can see that it is stopped. How do I start this ...

  1. Starting Print spooler service

    I have Windows XP Home Edition (all patches applied).
    Recently, I ran msconfig and stopped unwanted processes as part of
    cleanup.
    Now, my printer spooler is not running. I can see that it is stopped.
    How do I start this service.

    Running "spoolsv.exe" from cmd prompt does not restart the service.

    This prevents me from installing any printers.

    (alwar)

  2. Re: Starting Print spooler service

    "Al" wrote in message
    news:1112579909.026860.137780@f14g2000cwb.googlegr oups.com...
    > I have Windows XP Home Edition (all patches applied).
    > Recently, I ran msconfig and stopped unwanted processes as part of
    > cleanup.
    > Now, my printer spooler is not running. I can see that it is stopped.
    > How do I start this service.
    >
    > Running "spoolsv.exe" from cmd prompt does not restart the service.
    >
    > This prevents me from installing any printers.
    >
    > (alwar)

    - Start a Command Prompt
    - Type this command:
    net start "Print Spooler"
    - If it does not start, check your event logger

  3. Re: Starting Print spooler service

    On Sun, 3 Apr 2005 18:58:29 -0700 , "Al" wrote:

    >I have Windows XP Home Edition (all patches applied).
    >Recently, I ran msconfig and stopped unwanted processes as part of
    >cleanup.
    >Now, my printer spooler is not running. I can see that it is stopped.
    >How do I start this service.
    >
    >Running "spoolsv.exe" from cmd prompt does not restart the service.
    >
    >This prevents me from installing any printers.
    >
    >(alwar)

    I'm betting one of the services you stopped was printer related.
    Lexmark stuff has a nasty habit of inserting itself as a dependency
    for the Printspooler to start. Double check what you disabled for
    anything that loooks printer related.

+ Reply to Thread