Peer to peer TCP/IP - Windows NT

This is a discussion on Peer to peer TCP/IP - Windows NT ; After getting a second home PC I decided to see if I could get them to work on a peer to peer network with a cat5 crossover cable. I got them to work with NetBEUI with no problems. Then I ...

  1. Peer to peer TCP/IP

    After getting a second home PC I decided to see if I could get them to work on a peer to peer network with a cat5 crossover cable. I got them to work with NetBEUI with no problems. Then I tried to get them to work with TCP/IP. Running Win98 on both PCs whichever PC is started first can find the other computer, but will not see any drives. The PC that is started second does not find the other PC. I believe this has something to do with the fact that first computer is the Browser-Master, but I don't really understand this. I can't ping in either direction. Running WinNT on one PC and Win98 on the other they still don't work. WINS resolution and DNS are disabled. There is no gateway. I have been told that I don't need them for this configuration. Should this configuration work? Why doesn't it?

    --
    Mike Walsh
    West Palm Beach, Florida, U.S.A.

  2. Re: Peer to peer TCP/IP

    Mike Walsh writes:

    > After getting a second home PC I decided to see if I could get them
    > to work on a peer to peer network with a cat5 crossover cable. I got
    > them to work with NetBEUI with no problems. Then I tried to get them
    > to work with TCP/IP.

    > I can't ping in either direction.

    What did you set the IP addresses to and the netmask (Control Panel>
    Network> TCP/IP settings)?

    Try 192.168.0.120 and 192.168.0.121 with a netmask of
    255.255.255.0 and that may bring happiness. Default gateway...dunno
    if it matters but you can toss 192.168.0.1 in there for ****s and
    giggles.

    Best Regards,
    --
    Todd H.
    http://www.toddh.net/

  3. Re: Peer to peer TCP/IP

    I tried the addresses you recommend and still get the same results. I was using the same IP addresses except for the last number. I am now reinstalling Win98 on the second PC. I would like to do a clean Win98 install on my main PC but it will be difficult because there are three windows installations on it.

    --
    Mike Walsh
    West Palm Beach, Florida, U.S.A.

  4. Re: Peer to peer TCP/IP

    Mike Walsh wrote in

    > I tried the addresses you recommend and still get the same results. I
    > was using the same IP addresses except for the last number. I am now
    > reinstalling Win98 on the second PC. I would like to do a clean Win98
    > install on my main PC but it will be difficult because there are three
    > windows installations on it.

    I don't suppose you have firewalls on either of your machine?

+ Reply to Thread