Why does NT add extentions to downloaded files? - Windows NT

This is a discussion on Why does NT add extentions to downloaded files? - Windows NT ; I routinely download files with a .pbu extention. These are compressed files, although the extension .pbu is NOT associated with Winzip or pkzip. In fact there is no association with any program attached to these files. The dialogue box for ...

  1. Why does NT add extentions to downloaded files?

    I routinely download files with a .pbu extention. These are compressed
    files, although the extension .pbu is NOT associated with Winzip or
    pkzip. In fact there is no association with any program attached to
    these files.

    The dialogue box for the file does identify it as a WinZip file
    however. But even if I change this to "all file types", the file ends
    up being "filename.pbu..zip", it appends the ..zip to the end.

    What is doing this? How can I stop it from happening?

    Thank you,
    Jim

  2. Re: Why does NT add extentions to downloaded files?

    jtpryan@gmail.com wrote in news:1109946391.920590.174560
    @z14g2000cwz.googlegroups.com:

    > I routinely download files with a .pbu extention. These are compressed
    > files, although the extension .pbu is NOT associated with Winzip or
    > pkzip. In fact there is no association with any program attached to
    > these files.
    >
    > The dialogue box for the file does identify it as a WinZip file
    > however. But even if I change this to "all file types", the file ends
    > up being "filename.pbu..zip", it appends the ..zip to the end.
    >
    > What is doing this? How can I stop it from happening?
    >
    > Thank you,
    > Jim

    I get this sometimes as well on Win2000, when downloading with Internet
    Explorer. One example is Symantec antivirus definition files, which are
    named with a .XDB extension. They get identified as Zip files, and .ZIP
    gets added to the end. If you then look at the file, it turns out that
    it actually is a Zip file.

    I suspect that IE is actually looking into the file at the header, and
    identifying it (correctly) as a Zip file. If I change the "Save As
    Type" to "All File Types" or add quotes around its name, it then leaves
    the .ZIP off.

    If I use Mozilla, it gets identified as a Text File, but the extension is
    left as .XDB.

+ Reply to Thread