Nt service pack 5 reassigns drive letters! - Windows NT

This is a discussion on Nt service pack 5 reassigns drive letters! - Windows NT ; Hello, I have Windows NT 4.0 and upgraded from service pack 3 to 5. This procedure automatically reassigned my disk drive letters: Pre installation of Service Pack 5: C: normal disk1 B: removable disk (iomega zip drive) D: normal disk2 ...

  1. Nt service pack 5 reassigns drive letters!

    Hello,

    I have Windows NT 4.0 and upgraded from service pack 3 to 5.

    This procedure automatically reassigned my disk drive letters:

    Pre installation of Service Pack 5:
    C: normal disk1
    B: removable disk (iomega zip drive)
    D: normal disk2

    Post installation of Service Pack 5:
    C: normal disk1
    D: removable disk (iomega zip drive)
    E: normal disk2

    Now a lot of utilities and programs dont work as they can nolonger be
    found
    on D: which is now the zip drive.

    I want to have the same drive letters assigned pre installation. I've
    tried to reassign the drive letters using Windisk but no success - on
    reboot D: remains as the zip drive.

    Can someone suggest a solution ?

    Thanks in advance
    -R

  2. Re: Nt service pack 5 reassigns drive letters!

    Hate replying to my own question but here a solution that I found:

    - open computer and phyically disconnect zip drive
    - reboot
    - use windisk to assign desired drive letter to disk partition
    - shutdown
    - reconnect zip drive & boot up

+ Reply to Thread