Any way to launch Search>Find Files or Folders from desktop? - Windows NT

This is a discussion on Any way to launch Search>Find Files or Folders from desktop? - Windows NT ; Is there any way to put an icon on the desktop to launch the Search > Find Files or Folders feature in Win2k or XP? It's a real hassle to click on Start>Search>Find Files or Folders all day long. Windows ...

  1. Any way to launch Search>Find Files or Folders from desktop?

    Is there any way to put an icon on the desktop to launch the Search >
    Find Files or Folders feature in Win2k or XP?

    It's a real hassle to click on Start>Search>Find Files or Folders all
    day long.

    Windows +F is supposed to launch Find but I don't use keyboards with
    Windows keys because I have big clumsy fingers and don't type very
    well. I'm always hitting these keys in error.

    I've been using a little VBS script called MaxFind by Bill James for a
    number of years on my Win98 and NT4 systems for a number of years.

    MaxFind allows me to launch Find in a maximized window from a desktop
    icon. It doesn't seem to work with Win2k or XP.

    I've seen some Shareware and Freeware search apps but none of them
    seem to integrate with Explorer and/or they have their own indexing
    system which I don't trust.

    Any suggestions?

    --
    Chas. verktyg@aol.spamski.com (Drop spamski to E-mail me)

  2. Re: Here's how, it's simple....

    "* * Chas" wrote in message
    > Is there any way to put an icon on the desktop to launch the Search
    >
    > Find Files or Folders feature in Win2k or XP?
    >
    > It's a real hassle to click on Start>Search>Find Files or Folders

    all
    > day long.

    Here's how create a shortcut for Search, it's simple....

    1. Manually open Start>Search>Find Files or Folders

    2. Search for a file, any file will do.

    3. In Search, Click on File Menu >Save Search. This creates a .FND
    file.

    4. Name the new file whatever you want - SEARCH.FND for example and
    save it wherever you want it. Close Search.

    5. Open SEARCH.FND with Notepad or some other text editor and
    carefully remove the name of the file you searched for, save and close
    SEARCH.FND. This will open a new Search window when you launch Search.

    6. Right click on SEARCH.FND >Send To>Create Shortcut on Desktop,
    Quick Launch Tool Bar or MS Office Tool Bar.

    That's it!

    Thanks to Jerry at JSI for some hints:

    http://www.jsiinc.com/subq/tip8200/rh8264.htm

+ Reply to Thread