WinXP user restrictions - Windows NT

This is a discussion on WinXP user restrictions - Windows NT ; I want to restrict a user in WinXP home edition. Can I format in NTFS and set permissions as I can with WinNT? Can I configure a user in WinXP home edition as I can in WinNT? I can't find ...

  1. WinXP user restrictions

    I want to restrict a user in WinXP home edition. Can I format in NTFS and set permissions as I can with WinNT? Can I configure a user in WinXP home edition as I can in WinNT? I can't find the user manager I am familiar with. Is this because I haven't looked hard enough or because it was left out of the emasculated WinXP home edition?
    Someone has turned off the anti-virus software and removed the firewall that I installed on my brother's computer (most likely his son) and left the PC with virus and spyware, some of which I have not been able to remove. After I get it straighten out I would like to create a restricted account for him to use.

    --
    Mike Walsh
    West Palm Beach, Florida, U.S.A.

  2. Re: WinXP user restrictions

    > some of which I have not been able to remove

    I`ve got some hints and tips, with links to free software to cope with
    most of the crap i`ve come across online

    http://www.coreutilities.co.uk

    Incidentally, this is a good page for figuring out which anti-spyware
    apps are legit (not aimed at you specifically, but anyone else reading
    this thread)

    http://spywarewarrior.com/rogue_anti-spyware.htm

  3. Re: WinXP user restrictions

    "Mike Walsh" wrote in message

    > I want to restrict a user in WinXP home edition. Can I format in NTFS and
    > set permissions as I can with WinNT? Can I configure a user in WinXP home
    > edition as I can in WinNT? I can't find the user manager I am familiar
    > with. Is this because I haven't looked hard enough or because it was left
    > out of the emasculated WinXP home edition?
    > Someone has turned off the anti-virus software and removed the firewall
    > that I installed on my brother's computer (most likely his son) and left
    > the PC with virus and spyware, some of which I have not been able to
    > remove. After I get it straighten out I would like to create a restricted
    > account for him to use.
    >
    > --
    > Mike Walsh
    > West Palm Beach, Florida, U.S.A.

    Study the concept of "limited user" vs "administrator" in WinXP
    and I think you have your answer.

    Actually I am alone on my own computer and still maintain two
    distinct users. For everyday work I am a limited user, I only log
    on as administrator when I know I shall need it.

    regards Sven

+ Reply to Thread