Win98 on 2k - Windows NT

This is a discussion on Win98 on 2k - Windows NT ; I have Win2000. How can I put win98 on that windows? -- Nije niko bez greske, ali mi u tome pretjerasmo...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 26

  1. Win98 on 2k

    I have Win2000. How can I put win98 on that windows?
    --

    Nije niko bez greske, ali mi u tome pretjerasmo

  2. Re: Win98 on 2k

    Ignore last message!
    I have a 1,1 GHZ Duron with 256 Meg RAM. I have windows 2k running on
    it right now. I want to install windows 98 on the same machine, and
    have the option to boot off either win 98 or win 2000 from the same
    machine, i.e. these two operating systems on one machine. This is
    because a lot of my games are not supported by win 2000, but some new
    software that I have (e.g. 3D animation program) won't run on win 98.
    So, I want the flexibility of both oeprating systems, and be able to
    choose one or the other at start up.
    I have 2 hard disks. First is NTFS and on that is win2k, and second is
    FAT.
    Can you describe me how can i put win 98 on my computer step by step.
    --

    Nije niko bez greske, ali mi u tome pretjerasmo

  3. Re: Win98 on 2k

    "Gospodin Sorak" wrote in message
    newssatv09hbf5enen8v6ot3rcsosk8prai17@4ax.com...
    > Ignore last message!
    > I have a 1,1 GHZ Duron with 256 Meg RAM. I have windows 2k running on
    > it right now. I want to install windows 98 on the same machine, and
    > have the option to boot off either win 98 or win 2000 from the same
    > machine, i.e. these two operating systems on one machine. This is
    > because a lot of my games are not supported by win 2000, but some new
    > software that I have (e.g. 3D animation program) won't run on win 98.
    > So, I want the flexibility of both oeprating systems, and be able to
    > choose one or the other at start up.
    > I have 2 hard disks. First is NTFS and on that is win2k, and second is
    > FAT.
    > Can you describe me how can i put win 98 on my computer step by step.
    > --
    >
    > Nije niko bez greske, ali mi u tome pretjerasmo

    It is not possible to install & run Win98 on your system by
    using the native Win2000 boot manager. You need a third-party
    boot manager, e.g. XOSL (free!). Are you prepared to invest
    some time and effort in downloading it and familiarising yourself
    with it?

  4. Re: Win98 on 2k

    Gospodin Sorak wrote...

    >I have Win2000. How can I put win98 on that windows?

    If you go without any 3rd party boot manager, you need to install
    Win98 first, then Win2000. See this article.
    http://www.duxcw.com/digest/Howto/so.../windows/dual/

    BTW, you can help yourself by searching "dual boot" with
    your favorite search engines.

    Alternatively, if you can get a copy of Microsoft Virtual PC 2004 (VPC),
    you can install any Windows OS in VPC mode. The advantage is that
    you don't need to install Win9x/ME first.

    Of course, using a 3rd party boot manager is another alternative.

    Good luck.

  5. Re: Win98 on 2k

    "Harry" wrote in message
    > Gospodin Sorak wrote...
    >
    > >I have Win2000. How can I put win98 on that windows?

    > If you go without any 3rd party boot manager, you need to install
    > Win98 first, then Win2000. See this article.
    > http://www.duxcw.com/digest/Howto/so.../windows/dual/

    A couple of comments might be appropriate.

    - The OP cannot use the native Windows boot manager,
    hence the article you quote is irrelevant.

    - The article you refer to is misleading. While it is ***recommended***
    to install Win98 first, it is not really necessary. When installing Win98
    last then the Win2000 boot environment gets disturbed. This can
    be fixed in less than five minutes. Unfortunately the article omits
    this important piece of information.

  6. Re: Win98 on 2k

    Pegasus \MVP\ wrote...

    >"Harry" wrote in message
    >> Gospodin Sorak wrote...
    >>
    >> >I have Win2000. How can I put win98 on that windows?

    >> If you go without any 3rd party boot manager, you need to install
    >> Win98 first, then Win2000. See this article.
    >> http://www.duxcw.com/digest/Howto/so.../windows/dual/

    >A couple of comments might be appropriate.
    >
    >- The OP cannot use the native Windows boot manager,
    > hence the article you quote is irrelevant.

    My real intention is ask the OP to do web search on his own.
    The URL I quoted, is only an example of a result from web search.

    And why the OP cannot use the native Windows boot manager?
    if he can install Win98 first and then W2K.

    >- The article you refer to is misleading. While it is ***recommended***
    > to install Win98 first, it is not really necessary. When installing Win98
    > last then the Win2000 boot environment gets disturbed. This can
    > be fixed in less than five minutes. Unfortunately the article omits
    > this important piece of information.

    If you know the solution, just spill your gut.
    It was a waste of everyone's time just to say it "can be fixed in
    less than 5 minutes" but didn't say what the solution is.
    Or asked the OP to use another boot manager if there is a way to
    fix the Windows boot manager (with W2K first, then Win98) in 5 minutes.

    Did your 2nd statement (5 min solution) contradict your 1st (OP cannot
    use Windows native manager)?

  7. Re: Win98 on 2k

    Pegasus (MVP) wrote:

    > "Gospodin Sorak" wrote in message
    > newssatv09hbf5enen8v6ot3rcsosk8prai17@4ax.com...
    >
    >>Ignore last message!
    >>I have a 1,1 GHZ Duron with 256 Meg RAM. I have windows 2k running on
    >>it right now. I want to install windows 98 on the same machine, and
    >>have the option to boot off either win 98 or win 2000 from the same
    >>machine, i.e. these two operating systems on one machine. This is
    >>because a lot of my games are not supported by win 2000, but some new
    >>software that I have (e.g. 3D animation program) won't run on win 98.
    >>So, I want the flexibility of both oeprating systems, and be able to
    >>choose one or the other at start up.
    >>I have 2 hard disks. First is NTFS and on that is win2k, and second is
    >>FAT.
    >>Can you describe me how can i put win 98 on my computer step by step.
    >>--
    >>
    >>Nije niko bez greske, ali mi u tome pretjerasmo

    > It is not possible to install & run Win98 on your system by
    > using the native Win2000 boot manager. You need a third-party
    > boot manager, e.g. XOSL (free!). Are you prepared to invest
    > some time and effort in downloading it and familiarising yourself
    > with it?

    Nonsense!

    The system at my vacation home offers W2K, Win98, and DOS 6.22 as
    options on the W2K boot manager menu - and all 3 boot just fine.

    I don't recall details of how I set this up, nor do I have remote
    access, but I'll take a copy of the boot.ini next time I'm there if
    you're interested.

    Triffid

  8. Re: Win98 on 2k

    "Harry" wrote in message
    > Pegasus \MVP\ wrote...
    > >

    > >"Harry" wrote in message
    > >> Gospodin Sorak wrote...

    > >> If you go without any 3rd party boot manager, you need to install
    > >> Win98 first, then Win2000. See this article.
    > >> http://www.duxcw.com/digest/Howto/so.../windows/dual/

    > >A couple of comments might be appropriate.
    > >
    > >- The OP cannot use the native Windows boot manager,
    > > hence the article you quote is irrelevant.

    > My real intention is ask the OP to do web search on his own.
    > The URL I quoted, is only an example of a result from web search.
    >
    > And why the OP cannot use the native Windows boot manager?
    > if he can install Win98 first and then W2K.

    His current Win2000 installation resides on an NTFS partition,
    which is inaccessible by Win98. On the other hand you do have
    a point: If the OP destroys his Win2000 installation then NTFS
    ceases to be an issue.

    > >- The article you refer to is misleading. While it is ***recommended***
    > > to install Win98 first, it is not really necessary. When installing

    Win98
    > > last then the Win2000 boot environment gets disturbed. This can
    > > be fixed in less than five minutes. Unfortunately the article omits
    > > this important piece of information.

    > If you know the solution, just spill your gut.
    > It was a waste of everyone's time just to say it "can be fixed in
    > less than 5 minutes" but didn't say what the solution is.
    > Or asked the OP to use another boot manager if there is a way to
    > fix the Windows boot manager (with W2K first, then Win98) in 5 minutes.
    >
    > Did your 2nd statement (5 min solution) contradict your 1st (OP cannot
    > use Windows native manager)?

    Let's just take it easy, shall we?

    This thread deals with an existing installation of Win2000 on a
    disk with a single NTFS partition. Installation of Win98 is
    not possible here while using the native Windows boot
    manager, unless he destroys his Win2000 installation. It is
    therefore irrelevant to include a recipe that deals with a
    reverse installation (Win2000 first, Win98 later). If you
    would like to know the full details then I'm happy to
    provide them in a new thread.

    > Did your 2nd statement (5 min solution) contradict your 1st (OP cannot
    > use Windows native manager)?

    No. The OP cannot install Win98 on his current system,
    because his primary master disk is NTFS. If it was FAT32
    then he could, and he could apply the 5 minute solution.

  9. Re: Win98 on 2k

    "Triffid" wrote in message
    newsqZLd.8010$Ck1.1141312@news20.bellglobal.com...

    > Pegasus (MVP) wrote:
    >
    > > "Gospodin Sorak" wrote in message
    > > newssatv09hbf5enen8v6ot3rcsosk8prai17@4ax.com...
    > >
    > >>Ignore last message!
    > >>I have a 1,1 GHZ Duron with 256 Meg RAM. I have windows 2k running on
    > >>it right now. I want to install windows 98 on the same machine, and
    > >>have the option to boot off either win 98 or win 2000 from the same
    > >>machine, i.e. these two operating systems on one machine. This is
    > >>because a lot of my games are not supported by win 2000, but some new
    > >>software that I have (e.g. 3D animation program) won't run on win 98.
    > >>So, I want the flexibility of both oeprating systems, and be able to
    > >>choose one or the other at start up.
    > >>I have 2 hard disks. First is NTFS and on that is win2k, and second is
    > >>FAT.
    > >>Can you describe me how can i put win 98 on my computer step by step.
    > >>--
    > >>
    > >>Nije niko bez greske, ali mi u tome pretjerasmo

    > > It is not possible to install & run Win98 on your system by
    > > using the native Win2000 boot manager. You need a third-party
    > > boot manager, e.g. XOSL (free!). Are you prepared to invest
    > > some time and effort in downloading it and familiarising yourself
    > > with it?

    > Nonsense!
    >
    > The system at my vacation home offers W2K, Win98, and DOS 6.22 as
    > options on the W2K boot manager menu - and all 3 boot just fine.
    >
    > I don't recall details of how I set this up, nor do I have remote
    > access, but I'll take a copy of the boot.ini next time I'm there if
    > you're interested.
    >
    > Triffid

    Have a look at your boot drive. It's a FAT partition. The OP's
    boot drive is an NTFS partitiion.

  10. Re: Win98 on 2k

    Dana Bozijeg Tue, 1 Feb 2005 10:35:19 +1100, "Pegasus \(MVP\)"
    je poceo/la lupati po tipkovnici i napisao/la:
    >It is not possible to install & run Win98 on your system by
    >using the native Win2000 boot manager. You need a third-party
    >boot manager, e.g. XOSL (free!). Are you prepared to invest
    >some time and effort in downloading it and familiarising yourself
    >with it?

    I have downloaded XOSL. What now, after I install it?

    --

    Nije niko bez greske, ali mi u tome pretjerasmo

  11. Re: Win98 on 2k

    Dana Bozijeg Wed, 2 Feb 2005 16:35:58 +1100, "Pegasus \(MVP\)"
    je poceo/la lupati po tipkovnici i napisao/la:
    >No. The OP cannot install Win98 on his current system,
    >because his primary master disk is NTFS. If it was FAT32
    >then he could, and he could apply the 5 minute solution.

    Can you tell me what is third-party boot manager?
    --

    Nije niko bez greske, ali mi u tome pretjerasmo

  12. Re: Win98 on 2k

    "Gospodin Sorak" wrote in message
    newst81011oq6o40mbku0u66kui60qoachgfm@4ax.com...
    > Dana Bozijeg Tue, 1 Feb 2005 10:35:19 +1100, "Pegasus \(MVP\)"
    > je poceo/la lupati po tipkovnici i napisao/la:
    > >It is not possible to install & run Win98 on your system by
    > >using the native Win2000 boot manager. You need a third-party
    > >boot manager, e.g. XOSL (free!). Are you prepared to invest
    > >some time and effort in downloading it and familiarising yourself
    > >with it?

    > I have downloaded XOSL. What now, after I install it?
    >
    > --
    >
    > Nije niko bez greske, ali mi u tome pretjerasmo

    Before you install it, you must plan your partitions. Here are a couple of

    Option A
    ======
    Disk 1 NTFS Windows 2000

    Disk 2 xxx GBytes FAT32 Windows 98
    Disk 2 yyy GBytes FAT32 Shared data partition
    Disk 2 8 MBytes FAT XOSL partition

    Option B
    ======
    Disk 1 NTFS Windows 2000

    Disk 2 zzz GBytes FAT32 Windows 98
    Disk 2 8 MBytes FAT XOSL partition

    And here are the rough steps to install XOSL:
    1. Partition your disk, and label each partition.
    2. Boot the machine with a Win98 boot disk
    (www.bootdisk.com)
    3. Install XOSL into the dedicated XOSL partition.
    4. Add the Win2000 and Win98 partitions to the XOSL menu.
    5. Using XOSL, boot into Win98. The machine will lock up.
    6. Boot the machine with your Win98 CD, and install Win98.

    You must be very careful in Step 3. If you select the
    wrong target partition for XOSL then you will destroy
    your existing Win2000 installation.

    If the machine fails to boot into Win98 then you must
    tell XOSL to swap the disks for the Wini98 boot.

  13. Re: Win98 on 2k

    Dana Bozijeg Wed, 2 Feb 2005 21:29:22 +1100, "Pegasus \(MVP\)"
    je poceo/la lupati po tipkovnici i napisao/la:

    I have a few questions:
    Can I install XOSL on FAT32 partition or it must be only FAT?

    >3. Install XOSL into the dedicated XOSL partition.

    Can I install anything else on that partition after I install win98?

    >5. Using XOSL, boot into Win98.

    The machine will lock up. - what does this means?

    >If the machine fails to boot into Win98 then you must
    >tell XOSL to swap the disks for the Wini98 boot.

    Can you explain that?
    --

    Nije niko bez greske, ali mi u tome pretjerasmo

  14. Re: Win98 on 2k

    Pegasus (MVP) wrote:

    > "Triffid" wrote in message
    > newsqZLd.8010$Ck1.1141312@news20.bellglobal.com...
    >

    >>Pegasus (MVP) wrote:
    >>

    >>>"Gospodin Sorak" wrote in message
    >>>newssatv09hbf5enen8v6ot3rcsosk8prai17@4ax.com...

    >>>It is not possible to install & run Win98 on your system by
    >>>using the native Win2000 boot manager. You need a third-party
    >>>boot manager, e.g. XOSL (free!). Are you prepared to invest
    >>>some time and effort in downloading it and familiarising yourself
    >>>with it?

    >>Nonsense!
    >>
    >>The system at my vacation home offers W2K, Win98, and DOS 6.22 as
    >>options on the W2K boot manager menu - and all 3 boot just fine.
    >>
    >>I don't recall details of how I set this up, nor do I have remote
    >>access, but I'll take a copy of the boot.ini next time I'm there if
    >>you're interested.
    >>
    >>Triffid

    > Have a look at your boot drive. It's a FAT partition. The OP's
    > boot drive is an NTFS partitiion.

    The OP will require a FAT partition for Win98, and has stated same is
    available. The OP would need to copy the W2K boot manager to the FAT
    partition and configure it appropriately, but there's no reason he
    cannot use it to dual boot Win98 and W2K.

    Triffid

  15. Re: Win98 on 2k

    Pegasus (MVP) wrote:

    > "Harry" wrote in message
    >
    >>Pegasus \MVP\ wrote...
    >>

    >>>"Harry" wrote in message

    >>>A couple of comments might be appropriate.
    >>>
    >>>- The OP cannot use the native Windows boot manager,
    >>> hence the article you quote is irrelevant.

    >>My real intention is ask the OP to do web search on his own.
    >>The URL I quoted, is only an example of a result from web search.
    >>
    >>And why the OP cannot use the native Windows boot manager?
    >>if he can install Win98 first and then W2K.

    > His current Win2000 installation resides on an NTFS partition,
    > which is inaccessible by Win98. On the other hand you do have
    > a point: If the OP destroys his Win2000 installation then NTFS
    > ceases to be an issue.
    >

    >>>- The article you refer to is misleading. While it is ***recommended***
    >>> to install Win98 first, it is not really necessary. When installing

    > Win98
    >
    >>> last then the Win2000 boot environment gets disturbed. This can
    >>> be fixed in less than five minutes. Unfortunately the article omits
    >>> this important piece of information.

    >>If you know the solution, just spill your gut.
    >>It was a waste of everyone's time just to say it "can be fixed in
    >>less than 5 minutes" but didn't say what the solution is.
    >>Or asked the OP to use another boot manager if there is a way to
    >>fix the Windows boot manager (with W2K first, then Win98) in 5 minutes.
    >>
    >>Did your 2nd statement (5 min solution) contradict your 1st (OP cannot
    >>use Windows native manager)?

    > Let's just take it easy, shall we?
    >
    > This thread deals with an existing installation of Win2000 on a
    > disk with a single NTFS partition. Installation of Win98 is
    > not possible here while using the native Windows boot
    > manager, unless he destroys his Win2000 installation. It is

    The OP stated he has 2 hard disks.

    Why not just disconnect the W2K disk, install W98 on the remaining disk,
    install and configure the W2K boot manager, then re-connect the W2K disk?

    > therefore irrelevant to include a recipe that deals with a
    > reverse installation (Win2000 first, Win98 later). If you
    > would like to know the full details then I'm happy to
    > provide them in a new thread.
    >

    >>Did your 2nd statement (5 min solution) contradict your 1st (OP cannot
    >>use Windows native manager)?

    > No. The OP cannot install Win98 on his current system,
    > because his primary master disk is NTFS. If it was FAT32
    > then he could, and he could apply the 5 minute solution.

  16. Re: Win98 on 2k

    Pegasus \MVP\ wrote...

    >His current Win2000 installation resides on an NTFS partition,
    >which is inaccessible by Win98.

    Some utils can convert NTFS to FAT32, like PowerQuest Partition Manager,
    and Acronis Partition Expert.

  17. Re: Win98 on 2k

    Pegasus \MVP\ wrote...

    This is what the OP said:
    "I have Win2000. How can I put win98 on that windows? "

    The OP never said he had had a Win2000 with NTFS.
    And of course W2000 can be on FAT32 or NTFS.

    Even if it is on NFTS, there are some utils to convert NTFS to
    FAT32 without destroying the Win2000. Examples are PowerQuest
    Partition Magic, or Acronis Partition Expert.

    This is a thread with many possible solutions.
    Don't say other people's suggestions are not feasible.

  18. Re: Win98 on 2k

    "Triffid" wrote in message
    news:z3eMd.17247$Ck1.1312066@news20.bellglobal.com ...

    > Pegasus (MVP) wrote:
    >
    > > "Triffid" wrote in message
    > > newsqZLd.8010$Ck1.1141312@news20.bellglobal.com...

    > >>Nonsense!
    > >>
    > >>The system at my vacation home offers W2K, Win98, and DOS 6.22 as
    > >>options on the W2K boot manager menu - and all 3 boot just fine.
    > >>
    > >>I don't recall details of how I set this up, nor do I have remote
    > >>access, but I'll take a copy of the boot.ini next time I'm there if
    > >>you're interested.
    > >>
    > >>Triffid

    > > Have a look at your boot drive. It's a FAT partition. The OP's
    > > boot drive is an NTFS partitiion.

    > The OP will require a FAT partition for Win98, and has stated same is
    > available. The OP would need to copy the W2K boot manager to the FAT
    > partition and configure it appropriately, but there's no reason he
    > cannot use it to dual boot Win98 and W2K.
    >
    > Triffid

    The OP's FAT partition is on the second disk. Windows must
    boot off the primary (and active) disk, which is NTFS.

  19. Re: Win98 on 2k

    See below.

    > Dana Bozijeg Wed, 2 Feb 2005 21:29:22 +1100, "Pegasus \(MVP\)"
    > je poceo/la lupati po tipkovnici i napisao/la:
    >
    > I have a few questions:
    > Can I install XOSL on FAT32 partition or it must be only FAT?

    FAT32 is fine.

    > >3. Install XOSL into the dedicated XOSL partition.

    > Can I install anything else on that partition after I install win98?

    No, you can't. Note - it's only 8 MBytes in size, so you lose
    very little disk space!

    > >5. Using XOSL, boot into Win98.

    > The machine will lock up. - what does this means?

    Lock up, seize up, crash, become non-responsive.

    > >If the machine fails to boot into Win98 then you must
    > >tell XOSL to swap the disks for the Wini98 boot.

    > Can you explain that?

    Have a look at the XOSL menu when it is installed.
    It's just a tick box.

    > Nije niko bez greske, ali mi u tome pretjerasmo

  20. Re: Win98 on 2k

    "Triffid" wrote in message
    news:caeMd.2679$lw4.628742@news20.bellglobal.com.. .

    > Pegasus (MVP) wrote:
    >
    > > "Harry" wrote in message
    > >
    > >>Pegasus \MVP\ wrote...

    > >>My real intention is ask the OP to do web search on his own.
    > >>The URL I quoted, is only an example of a result from web search.
    > >>
    > >>And why the OP cannot use the native Windows boot manager?
    > >>if he can install Win98 first and then W2K.

    > > His current Win2000 installation resides on an NTFS partition,
    > > which is inaccessible by Win98. On the other hand you do have
    > > a point: If the OP destroys his Win2000 installation then NTFS
    > > ceases to be an issue.

    > > Win98

    > >>If you know the solution, just spill your gut.
    > >>It was a waste of everyone's time just to say it "can be fixed in
    > >>less than 5 minutes" but didn't say what the solution is.
    > >>Or asked the OP to use another boot manager if there is a way to
    > >>fix the Windows boot manager (with W2K first, then Win98) in 5 minutes.
    > >>
    > >>Did your 2nd statement (5 min solution) contradict your 1st (OP cannot
    > >>use Windows native manager)?

    > > Let's just take it easy, shall we?
    > >
    > > This thread deals with an existing installation of Win2000 on a
    > > disk with a single NTFS partition. Installation of Win98 is
    > > not possible here while using the native Windows boot
    > > manager, unless he destroys his Win2000 installation. It is

    > The OP stated he has 2 hard disks.
    >
    > Why not just disconnect the W2K disk, install W98 on the remaining disk,
    > install and configure the W2K boot manager, then re-connect the W2K disk?

    Because he won't be able to boot into Win98, since
    Win98 is unable to read the boot files on the NTFS partition.

    I strongly recommend that you try this for yourself. It's a very
    educational exercise!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast