Files on Zip not reading correctly on NT4 - Windows NT

This is a discussion on Files on Zip not reading correctly on NT4 - Windows NT ; I have taken an internal Iomega zip drive from an old Compac and put it in an old Dell. When I replace a disk with another disc and try to view the files on it, the files on the previous ...

  1. Files on Zip not reading correctly on NT4

    I have taken an internal Iomega zip drive from an old Compac and put it
    in an old Dell. When I replace a disk with another disc and try to view
    the files on it, the files on the previous disk keeps appearing.
    "Refresh" doesn't help. The only thing that works is to right click on
    the zip icon and press "properties" when the drive is empty. Then I
    place the second disk in and the correct contents shows up. What can be
    causing this problem? My Dell has NT4 with service pack 6.
    Thanks for any info.

  2. Re: Files on Zip not reading correctly on NT4

    wrote in message
    news:1107024669.220262.89910@z14g2000cwz.googlegro ups.com...
    > I have taken an internal Iomega zip drive from an old Compac and put it
    > in an old Dell. When I replace a disk with another disc and try to view
    > the files on it, the files on the previous disk keeps appearing.
    > "Refresh" doesn't help. The only thing that works is to right click on
    > the zip icon and press "properties" when the drive is empty. Then I
    > place the second disk in and the correct contents shows up. What can be
    > causing this problem? My Dell has NT4 with service pack 6.
    > Thanks for any info.

    AFAIK, you must install a a driver before your ZIP drive will
    work properly.

  3. Re: Files on Zip not reading correctly on NT4

    I have already installed the latest driver before I started using the
    zip drive.

  4. Re: Files on Zip not reading correctly on NT4

    I discovered antoher problem. When I open "My computer" it takes a long
    time before the drive Icons show up. I disconnected the Zip drive and
    when I opened "My computer" the icons appeared instantly.. The up to
    date driver for NT didn't seem to help.

  5. Re: Files on Zip not reading correctly on NT4

    rebel70125@yahoo.com wrote in news:1107024669.220262.89910
    @z14g2000cwz.googlegroups.com:

    > I have taken an internal Iomega zip drive from an old Compac and put it
    > in an old Dell. When I replace a disk with another disc and try to view
    > the files on it, the files on the previous disk keeps appearing.
    > "Refresh" doesn't help. The only thing that works is to right click on
    > the zip icon and press "properties" when the drive is empty. Then I
    > place the second disk in and the correct contents shows up. What can be
    > causing this problem? My Dell has NT4 with service pack 6.
    > Thanks for any info.

    Just some ideas - from similar problems that I have seen:

    Some Zip drives have a jumper marked "drive A" - if this is installed,
    try removing it. Note that this is not the master/slave jumper.

    I have also seen cases where a drive formatted using DOS or Win9x does
    not work when you try to use it under WinNT - sometimes this seems to be
    related to the jumper mentioned above, where one version of Windows
    ignores the jumper, but another version changes behaviour depending on
    the jumper.

    I think that the difference is whether the disk is treated like a floppy,
    or as a hard drive type of device. The partition table is different in
    these two cases. It may also depend on the computer's BIOS, as to
    whether the BIOS recognizes ZIP drives as ZIP drives. I have seen cases
    where setting the BIOS drive type to "none" for the ZIP drive will fix a
    problem (have Windows find the drive instead of the BIOS).

    If the drive is not recognized as a "removeable device", Windows may not
    bother checking if the media has been change.

+ Reply to Thread