Is Windows file downloader stupid ? - Windows NT

This is a discussion on Is Windows file downloader stupid ? - Windows NT ; Hi, I have around 180Mb free space in my C: drive. I tried to save SUSE linux iso image, which is around 680MB through Internet explorer. It is trying to save it first into C: drive and later copying it ...

  1. Is Windows file downloader stupid ?

    Hi,

    I have around 180Mb free space in my C: drive. I tried to save
    SUSE linux iso image, which is around 680MB through Internet explorer.
    It is trying to save it first into C: drive and later copying it to the
    destination drive chosen by me. Due to this though there is enough
    space in the destination chosen by me, the file is not completely
    downloaded. It ends when the free space in the C: drive ends and copies
    that part of the file into the destination drive chosen without even
    showing an error.
    I have mapped 700 MB for virutal memory (200 MB in C: drive and 500MB
    in another drive).

    Is ftp utility used by windows (internet explorer) that stupid. Is
    there anyway to tell the utility to store the file directly into the
    destination drive.

    Thanks in advance for ur suggestions & comments.

    Sharko

  2. Re: Is Windows file downloader stupid ?

    itsharkopath@yahoo.com wrote:

    > Hi,
    >
    > I have around 180Mb free space in my C: drive. I tried to save
    > SUSE linux iso image, which is around 680MB through Internet explorer.
    > It is trying to save it first into C: drive and later copying it to the
    > destination drive chosen by me. Due to this though there is enough
    > space in the destination chosen by me, the file is not completely
    > downloaded. It ends when the free space in the C: drive ends and copies
    > that part of the file into the destination drive chosen without even
    > showing an error.
    > I have mapped 700 MB for virutal memory (200 MB in C: drive and 500MB
    > in another drive).
    >
    > Is ftp utility used by windows (internet explorer) that stupid. Is
    > there anyway to tell the utility to store the file directly into the
    > destination drive.
    >
    > Thanks in advance for ur suggestions & comments.

    Yes, AFAIK IE always uses twice as much space as is theoretically required.

    If you have 2 x 680MB available on the destination drive, you could try
    changing your TEMP environment variable so it points there instead of
    C:, but I don't know for sure that IE will honor the TEMP setting.

    I would use command line FTP to download the CD image, and Firefox or
    Mozilla instead of IE for locating it in the first place.

    HTH

    Sunny

    > Sharko

+ Reply to Thread