auto logon without the safety headaches ? - Windows NT

This is a discussion on auto logon without the safety headaches ? - Windows NT ; Hello, A sketch of the problem : corporate IT has set up a policy to make the server installs of windows auto update once a week including an auto reboot. While this is a good policy, it is causing me ...

  1. auto logon without the safety headaches ?

    Hello,

    A sketch of the problem : corporate IT has set up a policy to make the
    server installs of windows auto update once a week including an auto
    reboot. While this is a good policy, it is causing me headaches since
    I have some of these machines running services that need to run in a
    user-logged-in environment. When the server reboots, its web server
    will start up indeed but due to the fact that it is not logged in, it
    cannot access its data.

    I know the setup sounds dirty, but there is no other way for the
    moment.

    However,... I am hoping whether someone can come up with some kind of
    solution for this. Is there a way to let the server do an autologon
    while making sure that this session remains locked (meaning that
    someone connecting to it or physically at the machine would still have
    to enter the login and passwd to actually do something) ?
    Thanks for any hints
    Jan

  2. Re: auto logon without the safety headaches ?

    Zenick wrote:
    > Hello,
    >
    > A sketch of the problem : corporate IT has set up a policy to make the
    > server installs of windows auto update once a week including an auto
    > reboot. While this is a good policy, it is causing me headaches since
    > I have some of these machines running services that need to run in a
    > user-logged-in environment. When the server reboots, its web server
    > will start up indeed but due to the fact that it is not logged in, it
    > cannot access its data.
    >
    > I know the setup sounds dirty, but there is no other way for the
    > moment.
    >
    > However,... I am hoping whether someone can come up with some kind of
    > solution for this. Is there a way to let the server do an autologon
    > while making sure that this session remains locked (meaning that
    > someone connecting to it or physically at the machine would still have
    > to enter the login and passwd to actually do something) ?
    > Thanks for any hints
    > Jan

    Given the constraints, I think the best you can do is enable auto-logon
    and enable screen saver locking with minimum duration. While the GUI
    does not permit less than one minute to screen saver, it may be possible
    to reduce this further via a registry change.

    That would still leave your system vulnerable to unauthorised access for
    up to one minute after each reboot, but depending on the physical
    security of the environment, this may be an acceptable compromise.

    Be sure to secure remote registry access - especially if your version of
    windows is one that stores the auto-logon password in clear text.

    HTH

    Sunny

+ Reply to Thread